• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Did anyone else notice they left off Farah Fawcett from that montage?
    Very odd.

Maybe she didn't want to be remembered that way, in a montage I mean. Maybe it was her dying wish, and the Academy powers that be respected that wish.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    Or maybe Char channeled those wishes from her directly from heaven into Mel Gibson's brain, who treatened to beat up anyone mentioning her.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Avatar is a technical marvel... too bad Cameron couldn't have written a better script! It was a wondrous journey for sure but besides the exemplary 3D it's tough to find anything thing else that made it such a magnificent film as a whole. Cameron pretty much played it safe while giving his all to the brilliant mo-cap.

I think AVATAR is indeed unoriginal, but it is Cameron's directing and eye for detail in everything that makes it this giant success. For a movie that's so hated for its unoriginal script, still to receive this acclaim shows one thing. Cameron directed this flawlessly.

Still have to see The Hurt Locker, so I'm keeping my options open. But once again, District 9 and Avatar have shown me such indestructible development in story building and character development that I'm truly interested to see if The Hurt Locker can beat that
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Avatar is a technical marvel... too bad Cameron couldn't have written a better script! It was a wondrous journey for sure but besides the exemplary 3D it's tough to find anything thing else that made it such a magnificent film as a whole. Cameron pretty much played it safe while giving his all to the brilliant mo-cap.

I think AVATAR is indeed unoriginal, but it is Cameron's directing and eye for detail in everything that makes it this giant success. For a movie that's so hated for its unoriginal script, still to receive this acclaim shows one thing. Cameron directed this flawlessly.

Yes! I agree there! Cameron is one helluva a director and visionary!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Still have to see The Hurt Locker, so I'm keeping my options open. But once again, District 9 and Avatar have shown me such indestructible development in story building and character development that I'm truly interested to see if The Hurt Locker can beat that

The Hurt Locker misses out on the character development. The Hurt Locker to me was more of a documentary. A 2 hour movie focused on this insane group of guys who disarm bombs in the most dangerous part of the world.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    The Hurt Locker misses out on the character development. The Hurt Locker to me was more of a documentary. A 2 hour movie focused on this insane group of guys who disarm bombs in the most dangerous part of the world.

-Erik-

hmn, doesn't sound convincing shame
    we'll see
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

we'll see

It's very well made. The opening scene is fantastic! Then there is the scene from the poster - that shot in particular is f__king awesome! Excellent performance by Jeremy Renner. It's almost effortless. He doesn't have any memorable lines but it's how he goes about diffusing the bombs that's extraordinary. Incredibly convincing! And Bigelow's direction is tight. Incredibly well shot and very well choreographed. The disarming of the car bomb is an especially impressive sequence. Great editing, great pacing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

we'll see

It's very well made. The opening scene is fantastic! Then there is the scene from the poster - that shot in particular is f__king awesome! Excellent performance by Jeremy Renner. It's almost effortless. He doesn't have any memorable lines but it's how he goes about diffusing the bombs that's extraordinary. Incredibly convincing! And Bigelow's direction is tight. Incredibly well shot and very well choreographed. The disarming of the car bomb is an especially impressive sequence. Great editing, great pacing.

-Erik-

hmn, my hopes are once again rising tongue
    don't worry Erik, I'll watch it, my brother has it on blu-ray wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Or simply boring. The point is that if it wasn't for the pr machine and aims of the Oscars, such films should never be awarded for supposedly cinematic excellence. AVATAR is a masterpiece of cinema, despite the unoriginal nature. It's simply insane to loose all those oscars to HURT LOCKER. I am sorry to have offended you before with this, but if you think that we live in an ideal world where discriminations based on sex, race, color, religion and politics and what not don't actually exist, well allow me to disagree smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Or simply boring. The point is that if it wasn't for the pr machine and aims of the Oscars, such films should never be awarded for supposedly cinematic excellence. AVATAR is a masterpiece of cinema, despite the unoriginal nature. It's simply insane to loose all those oscars to HURT LOCKER. I am sorry to have offended you before with this, but if you think that we live in an ideal world where discriminations based on sex, race, color, religion and politics and what not don't actually exist, well allow me to disagree smile

I'm glad there are PR machines to get films like these noticed. You might have not found anything in the film but it seems that a lot the films audience did... and many more did so because of the Oscar buzz and whatnot.

Like I've stated before Avatar is an experience. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece... Cameron has made MUCH MUCH better films but it is an experience. Avatar is the reason why I go to the movies. A pure escape. I love the movie as well and I wouldn't have been disappointed if Avatar won the Oscar.

Look, I've been in your shoes before, D. I remember Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan. Man, that sucked large. And I'm sure The Thin Red Line fans felt the same way but there were a ton of people who also loved Shakespeare in Love so what are you going to do. And if had been old enough to see Raiders loose to Chariots of Fire or Star Wars loose to Annie Hall I would have screamed bloody murder as well. Chariots is actually a pretty good movie so whatever. I haven't seen Annie Hall but Woody Allen disgusts me.

As for your comments from yesterday... I'm not going to get into it with you because I respect you... but what you said was ugly and just because everyone else discriminates doesn't mean you have to.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fair enough beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010
    Erik, I remember Chariots beating Raiders and it was one of the few times I predicted the win correctly despite wanting to be wrong.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Very odd.

Farrah Fawcett

No excuses IMO, the lady should have been represented.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    So what Hollywood was saying is that lately the best films they've made have been No Country For Old Men, Hurt Locker, and Brokeback Mountain. These are the cream of the crop. Sorry, can't agree.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    So what Hollywood was saying is that lately the best films they've made have been No Country For Old Men, Hurt Locker, and Brokeback Mountain. These are the cream of the crop. Sorry, can't agree.

No Country is REALLY fooking good! Brokeback is a solid film as well but Crash won Best Picture that year! And The Hurt Locker was excellent!

-Erik-
  5. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Very odd.

Farrah Fawcett

No excuses IMO, the lady should have been represented.

I sort of agree with the reasons I read for leaving her out of the Oscars: she was mostly associated with TV stardom and should be remembered in the Emmys. Here in the UK both film and TV are celebrated at the BAFTAs but there's that (artificial) split of film and TV in the US.

It taints her memory a bit for all this bickering as to whether she should have or should not have been remembered at a specific awards ceremony. That's the trouble when you start making lists - people begin to argue about what is or is not on the list.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    She's done loads of films (20 overall, including Logan's Run!)... I don't mind the whittling (indeed, no chance of representing everyone), but favouring unknown country singer Monte Walsh and recluse pop singer Michael Jackson over her seems incredibly odd.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it's the Oscars. The memory of someone like her can't be erased or hurt by the omission in a video feature done by an 'academy' of pr. Too much fuss over nothing, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not too fussed.
    Just thought it was odd (including the Academy's explanation she was just a TV actress).
    Not gonna start a petition protesting it or anything.
  6. Martijn wrote
    I'm not too fussed.
    Just thought it was odd (including the Academy's explanation she was just a TV actress).
    Not gonna start a petition protesting it or anything.

It's certainly not true that she was "just a TV actress". But, she'll be best remembered as a TV actress (though after Kate Jackson). I certainly do - and that's what counts. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I certainly do - and that's what counts. wink

At this point I would like to direct your attention to your signature... wink

And as you mentioned it, Kate Jackson always was my favourite angel as well. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, it's the Oscars. The memory of someone like her can't be erased or hurt by the omission in a video feature done by an 'academy' of pr. Too much fuss over nothing, imo.

Not shocked at all.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!