• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010 edited
    Pick anything other than Raiders for 1981 and I will unfriend you on Facebook. Yeah, that's a threat. Wanna fight about it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Pick anything other than Raiders for 1981 and I will unfriend you on Facebook. Yeah, that's a threat. Wanna fight about it?

-Erik-

Oh dear! Start at about 1:30.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've only ever seen the cover of The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle. Maybe if I had heard it it may have featured more prominently.

I've a feeling there's going to be much agreement about The Empire Strikes Back - maybe until Thor pitches in with a comment or two. wink

Next year may be a bit different?

Hard to argue with EMPIRE, although - to be fair - it's my least favourite SW score (favourite is RETURN OF THE JEDI). Too noisy. But it is what it is, and it would be my pick too.

Honorable mentions to John Morris' THE ELEPHANT MAN, Francis Monkman's THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY and Danny Elfman's FORBIDDEN ZONE.

In terms of non-original music in films, you have THE SHINING and BLUES BROTHERS as the high points of that year.

I find that the closer you get to "my time", the more difficult it is to choose (or rather, the more excellent things there are to choose from).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    I find that the closer you get to "my time", the more difficult it is to choose (or rather, the more excellent things there are to choose from).

All these recent scores are right in the middle of "my time", my "Golden Age" if you will.

This was the time I was regularly going to the cinema and hearing these scores "live" in the films. Hence they tend to be more conventional and mainstream choices. It takes an exceptional score to replace these favourites. This period of time will probably end around the early- to mid-nineties - at this time my trips to the cinema became less and less frequent. Consequently it will be the music again that mainly decides my favourite rather than any music-film connection.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. And you are right Thor - as the years go on the number of scores to choose from increases markedly and the decision is more and more difficult.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

All these recent scores are right in the middle of "my time", my "Golden Age" if you will.

This was the time I was regularly going to the cinema and hearing these scores "live" in the films. Hence they tend to be more conventional and mainstream choices. It takes an exceptional score to replace these favourites. This period of time will probably end around the early- to mid-nineties - at this time my trips to the cinema became less and less frequent. Consequently it will be the music again that mainly decides my favourite rather than any music-film connection.

Interesting, because your "phase-out" period was my "Golden Age". My SERIOUS film interest started in the late 80's, but the film music interest didn't really kick off untill the early 90's. It's something about those seminal teenage years, I think (I was 13 in 1990), and I'm guessing there is about 10 years difference between us.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I was born in 1964.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself...I'd started taking an interest in TV music with the sometimes-glorious TV themes of the sixties (through repeats) and seventies, and even into the eighties after my interest was cemented by Star Wars.

Catching these early themes was my main interest at that time. And I'd catch a lot of the ironic film themes on TV. Then once I began going to the pictures I'd hear whole scores with my undivided attention - and then came the aforementioned classic.

Then when I realised that LP soundtracks could be bought and I began to go to Glasgow and then Manchester where the opportunity to get titles increased greatly, the momentum began to gather.

CDs and the advent of online shopping was then my "downfall!"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Can you remember what you chose last time Alan? ( i sort of vaguely remember Westworld? )

I don't know the Nicholai score so my choice, without a doubt, would have been PAPILLON.

Sorry to briefly go back to 1973 but I missed my favourite score from that year which is Philippe Sarde's LE TRAIN which would definitely have been my choice with Papillon an extremely worthy second.

Anyway, back to 1980. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

1981 is a PHENOMENAL year for film music, it's just chock full of fantastic scores with more than a few that have now become absolute classics.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK is right up there as one of the best of 81 and one of the best scores ever, but, BUT, it's NOT my choice, I won't ruin Alan's next choice by giving a list but I'm hoping ( and I have a feeling he will ) that his choice will be the same as mine!?

Prepare to un-friend Erik. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    ...I won't ruin Alan's next choice by giving a list but I'm hoping ( and I have a feeling he will ) that his choice will be the same as mine!?

The pressure's on me now!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From now on this thread will get hotter and hotter with more of our regular posters contributing ( because they are mostly a bunch of heathens who's film score taste only knows a more modern era rolleyes )
  6. There's a funny dynamic with this topic. Early on when there were fewer titles to choose from and the majority were "classics" there was more discussion (particularly from Tom, yourself and the like) of my choices. Even from the younger posters who had obviously been recommended a significant number of these early titles.

And as you say Tim, there's going to be more discussion again in the coming years because it's getting to a time when more of the members were actually born! And with a huge increase in the titles actually released there's more choice and more of a chance of me choosing something other people will disagree with. And I've not even mentioned my "weird" tastes!!

At the moment there seems to be a lull in comments, probably because we seem to be going through a period of time when John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith were producing quality compositions seemingly at will.

Even with 1981 it seems to be a duel between Williams and Goldsmith! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My guess for both Timmer and Alan with be Goldsmith's The Final Conflict! A worthy choice but NOTHING out does Raiders. Nothing! :whip:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    ...The Final Conflict!

Is the exclamation mark included for the same reason it's included in the title of movies such as Airplane!, Attack of The Killer Tomatoes! and Mars Attacks!? Or can't you believe that this could be the choice for 1981?

wink
  8. My hand has been forced!!

1981 - The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

Raiders of The Lost Ark would be most peoples' "obvious" choice for this year with that very catchy march that's been (over)used since it made it's first appearance in this year. But for me, Goldsmith's third score for the Omen trilogy is a grand opera of a score. Right from that very first ominous fanfare that kicks off the score.

And from then on what Goldsmith does is just grabs you by the throat and drags you on a terrifying journey. The filmmakers don't: although I do enjoy the film, it's not really on a par with what came before it. The number of set pieces in this score are surprising considering the relatively short playing time but tracks such as "Main Title", "The Ambassador", "The Hunt", "The Blooding" and "The Final Conflict" itself are all tracks that should grace anyone's Top 20 tracks. As well as the action scoring, Goldsmith makes interesting the quieter ominous passages (as he did with Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and, thinking about it, "The Ambassador" could be my favourite "mickey-mousing" cue! Varese's deluxe edition treatment fleshed out a very good original tracklist to make this one even better.

Yes, Raiders of The Lost Ark is a very good score. It has the great themes, it has the great action scoring, it has the set pieces, but for me there's just something missing. Maybe, unfairly, it's all down to the personal experience associated with the film? I'm not even sure I saw Raiders at the cinema when it came out originally (definitely another un-friending from Facebook reason for Erik - and maybe even more people!). Maybe it's just my preference for Jerry Goldsmith. At a push I may even prefer to listen to Outland (which had a recent excellent expansion) over Raiders of The Lost Ark....

Is there anyone still with me?

...Other titles of note this year featuring some great themes are Bruce Smeaton's A Town Like Alice with it's wonderfully nostalgic title theme, Doldinger's Das Boot (though I can only really listen to the theme from this), John Carpenter's Escape From New York (a great score), William Goldstein's Force: Five (a great title theme) and the delicate True Confessions (Delerue).

A score that I know very little about other than it always brings a smile to my face when I listen to it is Vladimir Cosma's score to La Chèvre: it's just the good side of cheesy.

But 1981 was a great year for TV themes - particularly themes penned by Bill Conti: Cagney and Lacey, Dynasty, Falcon Crest (yes, I did watch these at the time). Mike Post's Hill Street Blues also brings back fond memories.
  9. And looking at 1982, that's another tricky year!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote

Hard to argue with EMPIRE, although - to be fair - it's my least favourite SW score (favourite is RETURN OF THE JEDI). Too noisy. But it is what it is, and it would be my pick too.

Honorable mentions to John Morris' THE ELEPHANT MAN, Francis Monkman's THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY and Danny Elfman's FORBIDDEN ZONE.

In terms of non-original music in films, you have THE SHINING and BLUES BROTHERS as the high points of that year.

I never got into the other Elephant music from Morris but certainly would give the classical piece Adagio for Strings a huge nod. I found it very touching.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    My guess for both Timmer and Alan with be Goldsmith's The Final Conflict! A worthy choice but NOTHING out does Raiders. Nothing! :whip:

-Erik-

you're right Erik but I'm in your corner on this one so it is 2-2.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's MY top 3 choices for 1981 in order...

1. THE FINAL CONFLICT

Alan's is right on the nail here and likely against a majority popular decision, it's an album I can listen to over and over from begining to end in all it's Varese Deluxe expanded glory, one of the greatest choral/orchestral scores ever written.

2. True Confessions

This Georges Delerue score never fails to move me, it is beauty incarnate, a very fine film too, based on the real life Black Dahlia case.

3. Raiders of The Lost Ark

It's not often that a score this great, this fantastic, comes third but such was the quality of scores in 1981.

And finally, look at this for a great little list of excellent scores...

Elmer Bernstein - Heavy Metal awesome, AWESOME score!

Jerry Goldsmith - Night Crossing / Outland

Henry Mancini - Condorman which has criminally never been released but that's Disney for you slant

Philippe Sarde - Ghost Story / Quest For Fire

John Barry - Body Heat brilliant Barry score and no mention from Alan confused

And for more discerning listeners there was also Vangelis Chariots of Fire, Bill Conti's For Your Eyes Only ( my vote for most disappointing Bond score ever ) and Alex North's Dragonslayer.

p.s. Alan, no mention of EXCALIBER???
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And looking at 1982, that's another tricky year!!

1982 goes down as one of the greatest years ever for film music. I'm torn between Conan and E.T and Wrath of Khan. Read this article and drool.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

1982 goes down as one of the greatest years ever for film music. I'm torn between Conan and E.T and Wrath of Khan. Read this article and drool.

-Erik-

I was thinking exactly the same thing Erik, I think 1982 might, might, be THE best year for film music EVER. ( I think I can confidently predict the 'EVER' part considering it takes nearly a decade in modern times to get anything near a single year like 1981 wink ).
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

-Erik-

Are you just skipping over any comments for 1981 now that we are not friends? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Re : RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

I went to see the film on it's release with my then girlfriend and a bunch of others, I was 100% blown away, up until then I'd never seen a film like it and it wouldn't be for many years that I'd be blown away again and that was with Jurassic Park, a film nowhere near the same league really but hell, Dinosaurs had come back to life and I was THERE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

I never got into the other Elephant music from Morris but certainly would give the classical piece Adagio for Strings a huge nod. I found it very touching.

It's a fine piece, but like Orff's "O Fortuna", it's been overused in films and popular culture in general over the years. So it's lost much of its impact in that regard.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    1981...in terms of soundtrack listening experience:

Well, if you had asked me 10 years ago, I would have said RAIDERS in a heartbeat. But these days, I find it a little too rambunctious and action-ey, despite some wonderful themes like the ark cue. I far prefer LAST CRUSADE. FINAL CONFLICT is very good too, and by far the best OMEN score (even though the film is pants).

But none of them can compare to two of my favourite synth-based scores - CHARIOTS OF FIRE and DAS BOOT. To be fair, it's mostly their respective themes that I love, but there's some nice music beyond that too.

If I really had to choose one, it would probably be CHARIOTS - a welldeserved Oscar winner!

So a little different from you guys here.

(and yes, Alan, FALCON CREST and DYNASTY are iconic themes here in Norway, so I have a very nostalgic connection to them!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No comment on The Final Conflict over Raiders. Like I said The Final Conflict is a worthy choice. Now if you had of picked For Your Eyes Only over Raiders then I would have had some issues. wink

Now that we are sharing our first experiences with Raiders I'll add my two cents but I think some around here have heard this story before.

Raiders was one of the first movies I can remember seeing. My parents had rented it over the weekend... some time in the early 80's... but my father thought it would to intense for me to watch. I think I was 6 or 7 at the time. Well, on Monday I was ill so my mother kept me home from school. At some point she told me about the movie they had watched and thought I might like it. She told me it has some scary parts but for the most part was a movie she wouldn't mind showing me. I remember sitting on that old couch in the basement of my old home in Toronto gitty as can be. When Indy steps out of the shadows after whipping the gun out of Barranca's hand I was sold! And the sound of Williams' score enhancing the moment.. those low brass bursts... phenomenal! I had no clue as to what was coming next but it resonated with me like no other film... Ok, well maybe Star Wars (I had seen Jedi in the theatre around the same time and that knocked me on my ass, too) But there as something else that made Raiders much more special. Maybe because the picture felt more adult oriented... blood, swearing, guns, fist fights, etc. The music also stayed with me... my mother wanting to turn the movie off as the credits began but I distinctly remember telling her not to. Ah hearing that theme for the first time.

A few years later Temple of Doom came out and I remember seeing some of the ads on TV. I only saw Raiders that one time so I couldn't believe there was going to be another Indiana Jones adventure. I begged my parents to let me see it but that's when the new PG-13 rating came out (all because of Temple of Doom) so they said no. Boy was I pissed. My parents eventually did see it leaving at home with my siblings and the babysitter. When they returned a few hours later they told me all about it (bugs, chilled monkey brains, rafting down a mountain, etc) so I stormed off to my room almost in tears. That year the Read-A-Long adventure book came out so my parents bought that and the official story book for me. I got to read about the film. rolleyes Many years later I finally saw Temple of Doom. This was around the same time Last Crusade was coming out! Temple of Doom blow me away... so much so that I watched it again right after it finished it the first time. Raiders also came on TV around the same time so my Dad taped it for me. I now owned the movie that triggered my imagination so many years ago. When I finally saw Raiders for the second time it just confirmed that it was my favorite movie of all time.

When Last Crusade came out the whole family got to go see it at an old theatre in downtown Hamilton. What an experience. While waiting in line I stared at Drew Struzan's painting trying to figure out the plot. When I finally got into my seat and the projectionist flicked on the picture I was glued to my seat for the entire 2 hour playing time. However, the opening confused me... when I saw that other guy dressed like Indiana Jones during the Young Indy sequence I thought they had recast Indy. But as things progressed I final understood the meaning of the opening sequence. What an experience. At least I got to see one Indy film on the giant screen.

My first Indy soundtrack was Last Crusade given to me by a friend who was moving and didn't want to bring his tiny cassette collection of soundtracks with him. He also gave me Alien3, Batman Returns, Aliens, and something else. Those were some of the earliest soundtracks I had in my collection. When DCC announced the release of the expanded Raiders album my jaw nearly dropped to the floor. I wrote about the purchase HERE! I picked up the Japaense Temple of Doom at HMV in Toronto for about $35 many years later.

Whew! That was more then what I wanted to write and I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, Alan. shame

Anyway, Williams was robbed of an Oscar that year. While Vangelis wrote a dynamite theme for Chariots I find the rest of the score to be grating and terribly distracting in the film. Spielberg was also robbed for the Best Director Oscar and the film should have won the Best Picture Oscar as well. Raiders is the true definition of what going to the "movies" is all about!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's two great treacks on Chariots of Fire, three if you count the use of the sublime Jerusalem cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    As stand alone music... yes, but as a film score... I'd say no... but maybe if the music was translated to a live playing orchestra... that might have made all the difference. Vangelis' synths are cheesy beyond belief (even by 1980's standards) and cheapen the film the score was written for. The same thing happened with Alexander. Most of Vangelis' music, especially the action music, is laughable in the film.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

It's a fine piece, but like Orff's "O Fortuna", it's been overused in films and popular culture in general over the years. So it's lost much of its impact in that regard.

It's even used in a fucking BREAD advertisment on Brit TV right now, can you fucking believe it!!? angry

Regardless of that, the piece lost it's power years ago due to it's overuse and I've seen it used as parody many times, it's been a very long time since I've wanted to play Barber's beautiful piece of music and that's sad!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    As stand alone music... yes, but as a film score... I'd say no... but maybe if the music was translated to a live playing orchestra... that might have made all the difference. Vangelis' synths are cheesy beyond belief (even by 1980's standards) and cheapen the film the score was written for. The same thing happened with Alexander. Most of Vangelis' music, especially the action music, is laughable in the film.

-Erik-

Believe me, back then the synths were not considered cheesy.

As for the film, well, I've never seen it and to be honest it doesn't interest me, the music is fine on album though.