• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    When he finishes then I'll start my list
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You said that last time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010 edited
    Why not start your list in tandem, Tom?
    It'd be good if the poor Alan gets a bit of a lightning rod where we rabid few start telling YOU why all your choices are so obviously wrong! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Likes it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    You said that last time.

-Erik-

Don't remember that. stroke? old age? both?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm leaving for San Diego in two weeks. When I get settled I'll get started on the project and tie it in with the radio show.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    When I get settled I'll get started on the project and tie it in with the radio show.

What a good plan!
    Looking forward to that, Tom!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    You said that last time.

-Erik-

Don't remember that. stroke? old age? both?

Over at scorereviews. I pretty sure you said the exact same thing when Alan was producing his initial list.

I remember something about presenting the 100 greatest scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I wouldn't remember something like that too if i said it so long ago. I guess many wouldn't.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I wouldn't remember something like that too if i said it so long ago. I guess many wouldn't.

Tom and I had messenger discussions about it as well... and there was talk about the possibility of publishing a book and what not.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    Age hasn't been kind to my memory
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My Red Pony article is now available on FSM online. After you read it you can link to Erik's radio program and listen to the suite.
    Thomas
  1. 1975 - Jaws - John Williams

This is a bit of a no-brainer really. There's been so much been said about this score from Williams that there's little left to say about it. And from a personal point of view just listening to the original MCA Records release, particularly tracks 6-8 - "Sea Attack Number One", "One Barrel Chase" & "Preparing The Cage" - was just such a great and exciting experience. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't listening to this at the time of the movie's release but I came to the music during my post-Star Wars catch-up period when I was getting into film music.

Looking at my favourite tracks, very few of the OST versions have taken the place of the original release tracks but one of the tracks I was pleased to get from the OST was the music contained in the latter half of "The Pier Incident" - a great example of how Williams' music WAS the drama (and the shark).

Some honourable mentions to scores such as Frank DeVol's Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (once that main theme gets into my head it's there for hours!), Morricone's Gente di Rispetto (that mandolin/guitar duet is pure joy) and Vladimir Cosma's Michel Strogoff (with it's macho Michel Strogoff theme through to the lovely theme for Nadia).

There were some great film themes going round this year also: 3 Days of The Condor (Dave Grusin, thanks again Geoff Love), Airport 1975 (John Cacavas), Brannigan (Dominic Frontiere) and Goldsmith's Take A Hard Ride.

And - for Tim's benefit - some very memorable TV themes: All Creatures Great and Small, Superstars (both Johnny Pearson), Fawlty Towers (Dennis Wilson), Grandstand (Keith Mansfield), Starsky and Hutch (Lalo Schifrin) and The Sweeney (Harry South). (Goodness, TV theme tune quizzes at school were great during this time!!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bravo Alan, the right choice and maybe the obvious one but so what.

I'll take Schifrin's Starskey & Hutch as top TV theme cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup, no-brainer indeed.

There were a couple of interesting Jack Nicholson flicks that year (THE PASSENGER and ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST) that also showcased brilliant use of little music, as well as classical music (BARRY LYNDON) and a fun rock opera (The Who's TOMMY, incidentally also starring Jack Nicholson).

But JAWS trumps them all.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I think that I would have been strung up if I'd have chosen anything else!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You would have. wink

Good to read an experience so close to my own.

I remember well getting the record (for Christmas, from my parents. I must have been twelve or thirteen, so it must have been 1981 or 1982), but we were in a holiday cottage without a record player. I kept the record hidden in a closet for the rest of the holidays, because of fears it might get damaged...or someone might break in and try and steal it (after all, it was very valuable!). Obviously that may seem a little (well, OK, a LOT) odd now, but mind that this was a WAY before soundtracks were even remotely as easily available as they are now, and my parents took quite some effort tracking this album down.
    I was utterly paranoid the record should become damaged before I had a chance to listen to it.

I remember being totally blown away by the soundtrack.
    It was UTTERLY different from the Star Wars John Williams which I loved so much, but spellbinding and captivating.
    To this date it's one of the few albums I owned that I could play in full without a second's distraction or sense of lull (and all the extended CDs and rerecording notwithstanding it's really the one I most often return to). I'd even go so far as to say that -together with the double LP of The Empire Strikes Back- it's my favourite album, and the one that -to me- embodies so fully the joy of vinyl. (But I realise there's a huge sentimental factor there as well smile).

To me though Side A took the cake: the main theme, Chrissy's Death and Tourists On The Menu were the killer tracks!

Thanks for posting those links to these TV tunes!
    Some excellent stuff there (even if obviously I never heard it in its heyday)!

And a tip of the hat to Thor for mentioning Barry Lyndon: to my mind THE finest non-original music soundtrack (album) EVER devised.
  3. Thanks for the comments, Martijn. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Btw, regarding Who's TOMMY. Even though JAWS was the best score that year, the SINGING scene involving Nicholson, Ollie Reed, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and Ann-Margret has GOTTA be one of the greatest musical highlights that year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbvc3lx2pk
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn,

Just having a look at your profile, does your dad still own that Ben-Hur highlights '45?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Btw, regarding Who's TOMMY. Even though JAWS was the best score that year, the SINGING scene involving Nicholson, Ollie Reed, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and Ann-Margret has GOTTA be one of the greatest musical highlights that year:

I love Ollie Reed's "I wish I knew" in the style of the pub singer biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The motif has become an icon!!!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I love Ollie Reed's "I wish I knew" in the style of the pub singer biggrin

Yeah. Neither Reed, Nicholson nor Ann-Margrit, for that matter, are particularly good singers. Which is part of the charm in this clip, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. sdtom wrote
    The motif has become an icon!!!
    Thomas smile

The Jaws theme certainly is! There's not many musical cues from movies that are used by the every day public to enrich their lives. Herrmann's stabbing strings in Psycho is another example that immediately comes to mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn,

Just having a look at your profile, does your dad still own that Ben-Hur highlights '45?

I would imagine he does. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    In America there was a campaign about eating beef for years and the motif came from Copland, one of the dances from Rodeo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    Are you working toward the next one Alan?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    Yes, John Barry's KING KONG or he's a dead man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010 edited
    Oh dear! I'll have something up later.