• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010
    shocked
    Not altruism?

I'm shocked. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Gangsters snapping their fingers and flamboyantly prancing and dancing around. That will put the scare into you.

^[nominate] POST OF THE WEEK! [/nominate]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hahaha i know; i am just excited that i found another individual who things that it's actually crap. smile Most of the people i mentioned my feelings towards wss looked at me like i was from outer space. smile

No, just Greece, close though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The general population in the US will differ with that opinion
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know; i don't care smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    The general population in the US will differ with that opinion

In fact the general global cultural consensus differs with that opinion.
    Whatever one's personal feelings, Bernstein's work is considered a masterpiece.

Even by me, and I positively loathe musicals.
    (In fact, I've never even seen West Side Story. But I have heard three or four different recordings (including the ambitious project Bernstein initiated with Kiri Te Kanawa and Jose Carreras - that production was filmed incidentally as a very interesting documentary!), and none of them failed to blow me away.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    There must be something about the air in Greece ya think????????????
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    Aye!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. 1972 - Superfly - Curtis Mayfield

I came across this score (and songs) for the first time about a year ago and I've enjoyed it ever since. There's just so much energy in each and every track. And the songs are just so listenable in their own right. I much prefer this over Shaft which, to me, has a corker of a title theme but the rest fails to deliver to the same extent.

If you haven't heard this then I recommend you take Mayfield's advice in one of the "radio spot" cues:

"...sit down and take a listen. This may be something that you're missin'..."

There's some scores that have some great themes, but they're only highlights in amongst the other tracks: The Poseidon Adventure, The Godfather, tracks such as "Roma Baldacca" from Morricone's Questa Specie D'amore, "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance (Eric Weissberg) and "Dogs, Ponies & Old Ruins" from Images (John Williams).

And TV makes another strong year (by my reckoning) for catchy title themes: Jack Trombey's theme for Van Der Valk (but played to death at the time on radio as I remember), Jerry Goldsmith's The Waltons, Jim Helms' title theme for Kung Fu (which I used to hum as a kid), Neil Richardson's theme "Approaching Menace" for Mastermind, Robert Farnon's theme for the Second World War series Colditz and Cliff Twernlow's end title theme for Crown Court (as wells as the use of Leos Janacek's Allegretto from his Sinfonietta).

But the greatest TV theme from 1972 is undoubtedly Patrick Williams' muscular theme for The Streets of San Francisco.

A great year indeed for TV theme tunes!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    Whoah! Van Der Valk! Never saw the show, but what a fantastictheme!
    One of the first I encountered on those K-Tel "Film And TV Themes" albums. Those really eased me into soundtrack collecting. smile Pretty cheesy to hear again after so many decades, though... (the albums, not the Van der Valk theme).

So, Superfly, eh?
    I remember vividly seeing that album in the soundtrack section of my library for many years: nobody ever took it out, and the cover was so blaxploitation cheesy that I never felt the inkling to check it myself. I kinda regret not doing that now... Looks like something to seek out.
    Thanks, Alan! wave
  2. Martijn wrote...Looks like something to seek out.
    Thanks, Alan! wave

Glad to be of service!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SUPERFLY would be my pick too.

Williams' best score that year was THE COWBOYS, one of my alltime favourite Western scores (for a morally controversial movie). IMAGES is a superb score in context, but not something I play very often. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE I've never really cared about.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote

beer

The Cowboys is a score I've not heard so can't comment on that one. And I also don't play Images very often save for 1-2 tracks (including the one I mention above.)

The Poseidon Adventure is a funny one. I remember hearing the theme used in one of the vocals on an old Geoff Love compilation and liking it them. And it was only recently that I heard the score itself when La-La Land Records re-released it recently. I knew before I heard that release that a lot of the actual score was atmospheric (I've seen the movie countless times) but it's a very difficult listen as a stand-alone experience.

Thanks for the comments Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The Cowboys is a score I've not heard so can't comment on that one.

Really? shocked

A very fine effort, and a fine theme.
    But it is strongly Americana-influenced, and if memory serves you're not the biggest fan?
    Nevertheless, I would not hesitate in recommending this very, very fine score!
  4. I'm listening to a snippet of Williams' The Cowboys (a suite from Silva's The Magnificent Westerns and the main title from Varese's Great Composers: John Williams). I quite like the sweeping strings I'm hearing in the title theme but, I'm afraid, when the harmonica kicks in I just stitch off.

I'm very particular when it comes to how harmonica is used in film music: harmonica + Americana...probably not, harmonica + Herrmann...yes! Harmonica + Genevieve...definitely not!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, then The Cowboys sadly will not be for you. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Harmonica can be on/off for me too, but when it's on, it's really ON. Listen to this track, probably my alltime favourite film theme (yes, you heard that right!) for the Norwegian puppet film FLÅKLYPA GRAND PRIX (PINCHCLIFFE GRAND PRIX) from 1976 or thereabouts...largely considered the best and most successfull Norwegian film of all time:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/flaklypa.mp3
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Williams' best score that year was THE COWBOYS, one of my alltime favourite Western scores (for a morally controversial movie). IMAGES is a superb score in context, but not something I play very often. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE I've never really cared about.

I would agree on THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE though that theme is utterly fantastic.

p.s. How was THE COWBOYS morally controversial?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I would agree on THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE though that theme is utterly fantastic.

p.s. How was THE COWBOYS morally controversial?

I had a long debate about this over at FSM (that I won't go into here), but it basically went like this:

For the most part, I found it to be an engrossing, traditional Western with quality performances and little "cheese". It was also more gritty and violent than I had expected, knowing this was a John Wayne vehicle and not a Sam Peckinpah western.

However, there were some bits that I found a bit "on the edge", morally.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

For example, the introduction of the black chef with the matter-of-fact statement from the boys: "it's the first time we've seen a nigger!"....without any problematization of the term itself. Yeah, I realize it was made in a different time, but the film is still contemporary enough that it felt a bit odd and uncomfortable. And then when Wayne yells at the kid for stuttering...the kid breaks into tears, yells back at Wayne and then magically loses his stuttering - as if stuttering was a pure matter of confidence - well that didn't click with me. And then there is that whole ending, where the boys become killing machines. I realize it's a film about the evolution from boy to man, but that just felt too forced and at odds with the whole moral of the film.

SPOILERS END.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would agree with that Thor. The overall message in the end seems to be that violent revenge is a good initiation rite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks Thor, it's been a very long time since I've seen it.
  5. Thor wrote
    Harmonica can be on/off for me too, but when it's on, it's really ON. Listen to this track, probably my alltime favourite film theme (yes, you heard that right!) for the Norwegian puppet film FLÅKLYPA GRAND PRIX (PINCHCLIFFE GRAND PRIX) from 1976 or thereabouts...largely considered the best and most successfull Norwegian film of all time:

Now that's a definite "YES"!

I don't suppose it's available in any form anywhere? I notice that there was a release in the early '90s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote

Now that's a definite "YES"!

I don't suppose it's available in any form anywhere? I notice that there was a release in the early '90s.

Yeah, there was a soundtrack in the early 90's, I'm not sure how available it is outside Norway. Most of the tracks are in charming "hot jazz" style, though (New Orleans-type), as that was a particular favourite of Danish composer Bent Fabricius Bjerre. But that theme, "Reodor's Ballade", is simply the most gorgeous film theme I can think of. It's played by the inventor character in the film as he sits on a rock upon his cliff and gazes at the starlit night sky.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor, I've seen mention the name of Sigmund Groven on a YouTube version of the theme. I see that he's the harmonica player. Searching his name I've found that the theme can be bought as a download here.

Thanks for pointing this out, Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor, I've seen mention the name of Sigmund Groven on a YouTube version of the theme. I see that he's the harmonica player. Searching his name I've found that the theme can be bought as a download here.

You're welcome. Groven is considered one of the best harmonica players in the world by the connaiseurs, in league with Tommy Morgan and Toots Thielemans.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. And all of them famously played on film scores smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor, I've seen mention the name of Sigmund Groven on a YouTube version of the theme. I see that he's the harmonica player. Searching his name I've found that the theme can be bought as a download here.

You're welcome. Groven is considered one of the best harmonica players in the world by the connaiseurs, in league with Tommy Morgan and Toots Thielemans.

I never realised Tommy Morgan had played on so many film scores, including some of the legends of our time including John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. I've also seen him play live at the RAH, he came on for John Barry performing Midnight Cowboy and The John Dunbar theme....great memories cool
  8. He also played on one Zimmer and one Horner score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He also played on one Zimmer and one Horner score.

He's played on more than one Horner score.

You also forgot to mention he's also played with the likes of Newman ( both Alfred and Thomas ), Lalo Schifrin, Bill Conti, Alan Silvestri, Jerry Fielding, Quincy Jones, Michel Legrand, Michael Giacchino etc
  9. Which Horner scores except Windtalkers (where there is no harmonica solos on the album and he still gets a credit)?