• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010 edited
    I'm having serious reservations about my 1971 choice and I may issue a revised selection* later.

*Provisions have been made for this in the thread small print.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010
    What?
    Doubling back?
    Confusing the issue?
    Destabilising the thread?
    angry

Oh. Wait.
    I didn't approve of 1971's choice.

Carry on! [Martijn Seal Of Approval] beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn, do you constantly have alcohol in your bloodstream at the moment? wink beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    More like since he was born.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn, do you constantly have alcohol in your bloodstream at the moment? wink beer

I believe his [ Martijn Seal of approval ] actually goes like this ---> vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    [Martijn Seal Of Approval] beer

Does it look like this?
  2. Note that I have changed my mind for 1971. In is now:

1971 - The Omega Man - Ron Grainer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    The seal approves. applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Boy you surely come along with a very uplifting mood these days Martijn; i am glad!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Barry deserved a better fate
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote
    Barry deserved a better fate

I don't think he'll be too bothered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow putting it rather bluntly he could give a rat's ass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You mean couldn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I guess he could care less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You mean coul-- I see what you did thar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Get yourselves together. Coul.......
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Toss he gives not.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    p.s. Despite loving Diamonds Are Forever I really can't fault you for changing to The Omega Man, it's another favourite of mine and Barry has already been well represented by you.
  4. It's quite a difficult thing to do sometimes - selecting one score for one year when there's a whole series of excellent scores! Many with different reasons for choosing them as the final choice! I'm not sure how I'm going to get on - or the reception I'm going to get! - when the last 10-15 years arrive and I've many more titles to choose from.

Thanks everyone for sticking in with this topic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, just having a quick look at what was released in 1971 and I've come to the conclusion that I would have chosen a JOHN BARRY score.

WALKABOUT
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    Barry was going strong
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1961 - El Cid - Miklos Rozsa

Like Tom with Exodus, the new recording of Rozsa's score leads to a much greater appreciation of this score. Vintage Rozsa with really memorable themes - the first two cues alone are worth the price of this set. It's a finely balanced score with the blast and bombast interspersed by some lovely, reflective music.

Rozsa's at his peak here - and his score for King of Kings could easily have been a worthy replacement for my final choice. And there were some other worthy titles that didn't quite make it: Ifukube's The Tale of Osaka Castle, North's The Misfits, Herrmann's Mysterious Island, Tiomkin's The Guns of Navarone & Satoh's Yojimbo.

And quality TV scores are beginning to appear also: various scores from The Twilight Zone, Dr Kildare & Cain's Hundred are available to listen to and are good examples of memorable TV scoring.

Interesting that none of us mentioned West Side Story
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Against El Cid? shocked

Westside Story is great, but this is pretty much a No Contest in my book.
    (You probably wouldn't have expected nothing else from me, though wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There is a key word Martijn you forgot. Its original, unique, groundbreaking.......
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh..my.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    There is a key word Martijn you forgot. Its original, unique, groundbreaking.......

But it's going up against El Cid.

No.
    Contest.

wink

Seriously though: that's the problem with The Earlier Years in lists such as these: there are years and years that all feature works of such stunning intensity, lyricism, innovation, power and what have you that any choice is liable to rule out another unmissable classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The answer is simple. You do your list of 100 or 250 and then you can include some in the same year. Think about the films in 1962: Days of Wine and Roses, Miracle Worker, To Kill A Mockingbird, Bird Man Of Alcatraz, and Lawrence of Arabia. There could be lists where all 5 made a top 250.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Except that's not the way Alan has actually set up his list of preferences, so unfortunately hard choices will be made. smile
  5. sdtom wrote
    ...Days of Wine and Roses, Miracle Worker, To Kill A Mockingbird, Bird Man Of Alcatraz, and Lawrence of Arabia. There could be lists where all 5 made a top 250.

But probably not a Top 250 of mine! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote

But it's going up against El Cid.

No.
    Contest.

wink

Seriously though: that's the problem with The Earlier Years in lists such as these: there are years and years that all feature works of such stunning intensity, lyricism, innovation, power and what have you that any choice is liable to rule out another unmissable classic.

FACT!

and rarely has my use of that word been more appropriate.