• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010 edited
    It's stupid. Musicology has the correct terms for everything and it differentiates score from song as a musical composition; this is where you should look it up imo, not in film music fans chit-chats.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Where in the hell did I suggest that I didn't know of the expression "song score." Of course I have. The Academy use to hand out Oscars for song scores. How else do you think Prince got an Academy Award? Acting?

-Erik-

Well, then I don't see the problem.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's stupid. Musicology has the correct terms for everything and it differentiates score from song as a musical composition; this is where you should look it up imo, not in film music fans chit-chats.

Well, people who talk about film music define it too, to make common frames-of-reference. However, I'm also basing it on the MOST COMMON DEFINTIONS in film music literature. It makes no sense to use the word as it applies to the musical score sheets in classical music history. In film, the word has a DIFFERENT meaning.

A song score and an orchestral score are both scores, and that's the end of it.

Incidentally, in musicals, people also talk about the 'score' as a word that envelops BOTH songs AND instrumental score, if there is any.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'd bet my left nut that Alan isn't including SONG SCORES as part of his list. That's the point! You want to discuss them fine... but in this thread they have no relevance. Alan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why am i even bothering :sigh:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'd bet my left nut that Alan isn't including SONG SCORES as part of his list. That's the point! You want to discuss them fine... but in this thread they have no relevance. Alan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Erik-

It's Alan's list, so he can set whatever parameters he wishes, but it would be awfully prejudiced to exclude song scores just because they're, you know, based on SONGS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

Beats me. I must admit that this is the first I've encountered someone who did NOT define song scores as scores. Totally dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    If that's how Alan wants to run things then he can be as prejudice as he wants!

Create your own thread, Thor!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Beats me. I must admit that this is the first I've encountered someone who did NOT define song scores as scores. Totally dizzy

And this is the first time I've ever heard anyone define it like you. Even wikipedia agrees with us: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_score

I'd agree that it can be a grey area between song and score though, so it might not be the best definition. But that's how I've always heard it defined.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Everybody defines it as such, musicology does so the rest of the arguments are invalid really. Thor likes to disagree with everyone wink
  1. Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's Alan's list, so he can set whatever parameters he wishes, but it would be awfully prejudiced to exclude song scores just because they're, you know, based on SONGS.

It's Saturday night and I've had a bit of wine so the juices are flowing (BWT, not those juices) and I was pleased to see that there was so much interest in this topic!

And, Erik, I'll have that nut - song scores are not included in this list.

When I rip a CD that contains both songs and orchestral tracks I will not rip the songs. Personally, I think that they are robbing an opportunity for a film score composer to create something wonderful. I can see why people choose to select a playlist to adorn their movies: everyone, including me, has a list of songs that illustrate their lives. But, I'd never buy a CD featuring a compilation of old songs for a movie. Songs that are composed specifically for a film (e.g., Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, The Legend Trip, etc) I'll listen to if I like the track as a song but have no meaning for me as part of the movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Everybody defines it as such, musicology does so the rest of the arguments are invalid really. Thor likes to disagree with everyone wink

Only when they are wrong! wink In terms of film music, I would argue that "everyone" defines it the way I do. Also, musicology only takes you so far. As I've said about three times now, when we're talking about 'score' in film, the old-school, traditional meaning of the word (meaning physical 'score sheets' with the written notes) don't have that much relevance. Sorry, D, but you're off on this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Sorry, D, but you're off on this.

D, and the rest of the world.

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mmmkay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    Sorry, D, but you're off on this.

D, and the rest of the world.

Peter wink

Seriously, man, the word has probably between 5-10 different meanings in and of itself. You have to limit it to the FILM medium and how the word is used there. No one - and I mean no one in my 20 years of being interested in film music - has ever suggested that a film that uses original songs as its music does NOT qualify as a score. Neither in film music communities nor in film music literature. Untill now. It's just absurd. It's like saying apples aren't a type of fruit.

If Alan doesn't want to count those scores, though, then that's his prerogative. No problem. However, that doesn't make them something other than they are. That's an important point.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    If Alan doesn't want to count those scores, though, then that's his prerogative. No problem. However, that doesn't make them something other than they are. That's an important point.

You've raised some interesting discussion points, Thor.

Your point is well made - and something I've not lost sight of. This topic's just a bit of fun. I'm hoping that people will be interested in hearing what I like - and maybe some of the titles that are not as well known, people will go hunting based upon my opinions.

If some people who don't know me don't find my choices very interesting then that's fine also - and that's nothing to do with this this particular discussion.

Perhaps someone who has more of an interest would like to start a topic that is specific to song compilations and their place in film scoring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Believe what you will, Thor; definition discussions are a bit silly after all, and perhaps people are getting a bit carried away in this thread, with what is essentially a rather pointless discussion. As long as I understand what you mean when you use the word "score" that's all that matters, and now you know what I, Erik and D mean when we use the word.

It's curious though that we have so dissimilar experiences, as I can use the same words you used, i.e. "No one - and I mean no one" in my experience has ever suggested the definition you use either. In any case there are probably varying opinions about the word, even among professionals, and it would be an absurd suggestion to say that a word has a true, objective meaning.

Peter smile
  3. plindboe wrote
    As long as I understand what you mean when you use the word "score" that's all that matters, and now you know what I, Erik and D mean when we use the word.

That's an important point that will avoid confusion in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Believe what you will, Thor; definition discussions are a bit silly after all, and perhaps people are getting a bit carried away in this thread, with what is essentially a rather pointless discussion. As long as I understand what you mean when you use the word "score" that's all that matters, and now you know what I, Erik and D mean when we use the word.

Sure. I hereby register the quite different way we define a 'film score' (as I said, it's the first time I've encountered this discrepancy, which is why I've dwelled with it a bit), so let's just leave it at that and move on with Alan's Favourites (sounds like a dish on a menu!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer
  4. 1969 - La Battaglia del Deserto - Bruno Nicolai

I'm definitely going to come in for a lot of stick for this choice. Especially, when you see what other scores were released this year - and when you hear my main reason!

Looking down my list there's a whole raft of wonderful scores: Once Upon A Time In The West, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (sorry Tim), etc. As well as a couple that are more personal favourites (Bernstein's The Bridge At Remagen - a great theme, Fred Karlin's The Stalking Moon - one of the greatest tracks never used!) And some wonderful TV themes: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Department S, etc)

But Nicolai's Desert Battle is a score that I go back to again and again and I invariably listen to it from start to finish. It has to be one of my top 10 themes - and it's featured again and again throughout the score. And in a variety of different guises. From the grand statement of the main title theme, through the delicate rendition in tracks such as "Sosta" and the reflective "Reminiscenze". Just brilliant!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Does it have any songs, Alan?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote

Coat ... ->
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1969 - La Battaglia del Deserto - Bruno Nicolai

I'm definitely going to come in for a lot of stick for this choice. Especially, when you see what other scores were released this year - and when you hear my main reason!

Looking down my list there's a whole raft of wonderful scores: Once Upon A Time In The West, On Her Majesty's Secret Service (sorry Tim), etc. As well as a couple that are more personal favourites (Bernstein's The Bridge At Remagen - a great theme, Fred Karlin's The Stalking Moon - one of the greatest tracks never used!) And some wonderful TV themes: Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Department S, etc)

But Nicolai's Desert Battle is a score that I go back to again and again and I invariably listen to it from start to finish. It has to be one of my top 10 themes - and it's featured again and again throughout the score. And in a variety of different guises. From the grand statement of the main title theme, through the delicate rendition in tracks such as "Sosta" and the reflective "Reminiscenze". Just brilliant!!

speachless
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote

biggrin

Last time round it was Morricone's Once Upon A Time In The West that I chose for this year, and I'm sure that Barry's On Her Majesty's Secret Service would have been chosen several years ago. But I was thinking about what I'd want to listen to if I had to choose and I couldn't get away from the fact that I'd choose Nicolai's score for that wonderful theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    By 1969, Williams' career was really kicking into high gear (after more than a decade in the industry), and he was veering away from the cheesy comedies and stuff. So my favourite score from 1969 would have to be THE REIVERS, the delightful Americana score that would write history in the sense that it became a favourite of Spielberg's...and you know the rest.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

Last time round it was Morricone's Once Upon A Time In The West that I chose for this year, and I'm sure that Barry's On Her Majesty's Secret Service would have been chosen several years ago. But I was thinking about what I'd want to listen to if I had to choose and I couldn't get away from the fact that I'd choose Nicolai's score for that wonderful theme.

I've not heard Nicolai's score but I want to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, and Alan and Tom, check out the True / False thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Gulp I actually agree with Thor on the Reivers.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Gulp I actually agree with Thor on the Reivers.

How can you not when it's truth.