• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Somehow I can't see the collector market scarfing up a 1000 limited edition release from Godard. Isn't the majority of the Intrada/Kritzerland sales in the US???
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Somehow I can't see the collector market scarfing up a 1000 limited edition release from Godard. Isn't the majority of the Intrada/Kritzerland sales in the US???

Oh, I can definitely see that. Not from the Golden Age and/or fantasy/sci geek groups, perhaps, but definitely from the cineastes. The interest goes beyond the film music niche, like 70's blaxploitation scores or 80's synth scores or classical crossovers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010
    you make a good point Thor. A different collector market
  1. 1964 - Goldfinger - John Barry

Is this THE James Bond score? Discussions could go on and on and on. But it's certainly on my top list and signifies the arrival of Barry's musical world for this favourite. Looking at the tracks on the CD there's not a single weak track there. And it all starts with that iconic song from the iconic Shirley Bassey. The final 10 or 11 minutes of the film/score moves into the area of film opera: "Dawn Raid On Fort Knox", "The Arrival of The Bomb and Countdown" and "The Death of Goldfinger/End Titles" are wonderful and encapsulate all that was great about the Bond film score. (A height that's never really been equalled since these early Bond scores.)

A tough choice this year (again) with Morricone's score for A Fistful of Dollars a score worth mentioning here. And Ron Goodwin's 633 Squadron's memorable theme is also a highlight. Bernard Herrmann's Marnie appears in 1964 but it's a score that I hardly ever listen to.

TV highlights are Barry Gray's Thunderbirds and Jerry Goldsmith's theme to The Man From UNCLE.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    Good choice Alan
  2. sdtom wrote
    Good choice Alan

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1964 - Goldfinger - John Barry

Is this THE James Bond score? Discussions could go on and on and on. But it's certainly on my top list and signifies the arrival of Barry's musical world for this favourite. Looking at the tracks on the CD there's not a single weak track there. And it all starts with that iconic song from the iconic Shirley Bassey. The final 10 or 11 minutes of the film/score moves into the area of film opera: "Dawn Raid On Fort Knox", "The Arrival of The Bomb and Countdown" and "The Death of Goldfinger/End Titles" are wonderful and encapsulate all that was great about the Bond film score. (A height that's never really been equalled since these early Bond scores.)

A tough choice this year (again) with Morricone's score for A Fistful of Dollars a score worth mentioning here. And Ron Goodwin's 633 Squadron's memorable theme is also a highlight. Bernard Herrmann's Marnie appears in 1964 but it's a score that I hardly ever listen to.

TV highlights are Barry Gray's Thunderbirds and Jerry Goldsmith's theme to The Man From UNCLE.

Would it surprise you if I said I 100% agree?

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010
    I especially loved Georges Delerue - La Peau Douce (1964). Check my review: http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/la-peau-douce/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

wink

If you chose anything else I'd say something was wrong and you need to go to the doctor
  3. Joep wrote
    I especially loved Georges Delerue - La Peau Douce (1964). Check my review: http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/la-peau-douce/

I'd be interested in listening something of this when it becomes a bit more readily available.
  4. sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

wink

If you chose anything else I'd say something was wrong and you need to go to the doctor

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    Truth does Tom speak.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    The elder statesman has spoken
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    You'll be out of a job when Alan starts getting to the game scores.
  5. Steven wrote
    You'll be out of a job when Alan starts getting to the game scores.

biggrin

I'm looking forward to mentioning a few game scores here in a few years time - but not The Dig.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In the era that Alan is speaking about now there were no video games. They were called pinball machines
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In that case, maybe Alan has some favourite pinball machine scores?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    In that case, maybe Alan has some favourite pinball machine scores?

biggrin

I'm just wondering Steven, have you ever played pinball? It's been some years since I've seen one in a pub.

One of the last I ever played was Demolition Man, based on the film complete with a looping synth version of Goldenthal's main title that made it sound like it had been put through the Philipglassotron.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Pinball sounds like a score from Forbidden Planet
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    Is Alan getting close?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    1965 - For A Few Dollars More - Ennio Morricone

Goodness this is difficult!

Everyone knows how this theme goes? And with the Dollar Trilogy, the main themes feature throughout the score. But for me it's the secondary themes that stay in my mind - and that put it at the top of my pile for 1965 (the date of the US release?)

All the tracks that feature the watch chimes are real highlights for me - and when Morricone's swelling strings appear over this story device (as well as musical underscore), if the mood's right the tears well up as well. The chimes are also featured in "The Final Gunfight" and ranks up with the likes of "The Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Trio" (from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) as great individual tracks.

Other tracks of note include "The Vice of Killing" and "Farewell Colonel" round off an excellent score.

I'm pleased that the GDM Music release of this score features extra music, but unfortunately sound quality is relatively poor and features extensive SFX.

A couple of possible contenders are, as entire scores, just not that interesting (but do include some real standout tracks/themes): The Greatest Story Ever Told and Thunderball.

But the real score that almost tipped For A Few Dollars More off the top spot was a score from a TV show. Robert Mellin & Gian-Pieri Reverberi's score for The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe is a great score and one that, admittedly, is steeped in childhood Saturday mornings nostalgia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    applause

I couldn't agree more, Alan. The themes are absolutely wonderful; as good as the themes from the more famous third entry in the Dollar Trilogy. One of those classic scores, consisting of so much awesome, that is stands completely apart from anything else.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1965 - For A Few Dollars More - Ennio Morricone

Goodness this is difficult!

Everyone knows how this theme goes? And with the Dollar Trilogy, the main themes feature throughout the score. But for me it's the secondary themes that stay in my mind - and that put it at the top of my pile for 1965 (the date of the US release?)

All the tracks that feature the watch chimes are real highlights for me - and when Morricone's swelling strings appear over this story device (as well as musical underscore), if the mood's right the tears well up as well. The chimes are also featured in "The Final Gunfight" and ranks up with the likes of "The Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Trio" (from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) as great individual tracks.

Other tracks of note include "The Vice of Killing" and "Farewell Colonel" round off an excellent score.

I'm pleased that the GDM Music release of this score features extra music, but unfortunately sound quality is relatively poor and features extensive SFX.

A couple of possible contenders are, as entire scores, just not that interesting (but do include some real standout tracks/themes): The Greatest Story Ever Told and Thunderball.

But the real score that almost tipped For A Few Dollars More off the top spot was a score from a TV show. Robert Mellin & Gian-Pieri Reverberi's score for The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe is a great score and one that, admittedly, is steeped in childhood Saturday mornings nostalgia.

A good call IMO.

What pleased me more was your mention of The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, one of the greatest TV scores ever written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I like what I call the music box theme (from the watch) a lot. It would go onto a compilation package.
    Thomas
  6. sdtom wrote
    I like what I call the music box theme (from the watch) a lot. It would go onto a compilation package.
    Thomas

"Music Box Theme" would be a better description, Tom. For such a simple device it's such an emotional powerhouse of a motif. Particularly the way in which Morricone captures the significance of the watch winding down in the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote
    applause

I couldn't agree more, Alan.

yeah
    My favourite "Dollars" score, containing enough themes to fill three films.
    Fine film, too.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    What pleased me more was your mention of The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, one of the greatest TV scores ever written.

I was amazed to find that I know it, and I know it well too.
    No idea how that happened (I knew it from before the Art Of Noise remix version, too). Very strange... The show was never broadcast in The Netherlands, I think (way before my time, anyway, barring reruns).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. I'd just like emphasise that I too only saw this as reruns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A thing that has always bugged me with For a few dollars more though is how good the melody in Aces high is and what a shame that Morricone didn't make a proper western tune out of it, instead just making it into one of those silly out-of-tune piano source music cues. Hugo Montenegro made an arrangement out of it that's completely different, and where you can hear what a nice melody it is if played properly. At 0:25-1:00 in this clip.

Montenegro made a better version of Square dance from A fistful of dollars too.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Montenegro made a name for himself with the Morricone material. His album was a big hit.