• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    Hugo Montenegro played a large part in my film music upbringing, my older brother* bought his single The Good The Bad and The Ugly which was a # 1 hit here in the UK and I ended up playing it far more than he did.

*my brother only ever showed a vague interest in film music
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    Indeed, Montenegro might be the reason why I'm a morriconian today. My dad had the album with music from the three dollar films, and all 11 tracks on that album are absolutely brilliant. What I love about that album is how much Montenegro changed them, to make the pieces his own and enjoyable as different pieces. Some of them I like even more than the originals, for instance The story of a soldier, March with hope and For a few dollars more, which is quite a feat considering how extraordinary the originals are. Montenegro's versions doesn't have the same timeless quality as the originals and they wouldn't work for the films, but what he did with them is very impressive.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    He did what Mancini did which was to create arrangements of the themes that were easy on the ears. I think he had the same producer as Hank
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    1964 - I would not have gone for the Barry/Bond score. I would have gone for A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, THE PINK PANTHER or BANDE À PART, I think.

1965 - not a bad choice with FAFDM. DR. ZHIVAGO is a classic too, but not a score I am particularly fond of.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    Thor wrote
    1964 - I would not have gone for the Barry/Bond score. I would have gone for A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, THE PINK PANTHER or BANDE À PART, I think.

1965 - not a bad choice with FAFDM. DR. ZHIVAGO is a classic too, but not a score I am particularly fond of.

You wouldn't have gone for Barry's GOLDFINGER? shocked

...oh, hang on rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010
    Goldfinger is classic!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010 edited
    I prefer From Russia With Love on the whole, but there's no getting around the classic status of Goldfinger. I think this is where Barry really came into his own on the Bond sound (which, unfortunately, I'm not too crazy about. shame )

Incidentally, I have a sneaky suspicion what Alan's choice for 1966 will be.
    (I guess he's just waiting so long because he's unsure how to sell it to us biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Shirley Eaton had a lot to do with Barry's success as far as Goldfinger is concerned.
  1. You surely mean Shirley Bassey?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    You surely mean Shirley Bassey?

Shirley Eaton was the actress covered in gold in Goldfinger.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Incidentally, I have a sneaky suspicion what Alan's choice for 1966 will be.

Things are hard enough without having to agree with peoples' expectations too!!

1966 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Ennio Morricone

I don't need to "sell" this one! Just take a listen to the CD and just believe!! I know that David did.

From the first "wah-wah" it's a score that's just so good that it defined more than any other the spaghetti western sound to a wider audience. Everyone knows the main theme and the frequently mentioned tracks such as "The Ecstasy of Gold" and (to a lesser extent) "The Trio" - operatic in scale and Leone saw how Morricone's music was clearly enough to carry the drama.

But there's also the more emotionally charged passages too - passages that are not as famous - but are pure brilliance: "The Sunset", "The Desert", "The Death of A Soldier" & "Father Ramirez" all spring immediately to mind.

Morricone had a good year in '66 with several other notable score: La Resa dei Conti and Navajo Joe.

Mario Nascimbene's score for One Million Years BC would probably be chosen if it had appeared in any of the years either side of 1966 and ticks many of the boxes filled by the score I ended up chosing.

Jerry Goldsmith begins to make a name for himself in cinema, with The Sand Pebbles edging out The Blue Max in my book.

And I can't end this year without mentioning the music written for the original Star Trek TV show. Alexander Courage's original pilot and episodes such as "Shore Leave", "The Corbomite Maneuver" and especially "Charlie X" are full of wonderful tracks.

A very good year!

NP: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Ennio Morricone
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    No issue with that pick!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor - punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have no complaints either, one of the greatest scores ever written in my book, in fact I agreed with almost EVERY word you said except that I would swap Goldsmith's The Sand Pebbles for his brilliant The Blue Max cool, don't get me wrong, I love 'Pebbles' but just not nearly as much as 'Max'.

Also, very painful that such brilliant scores as The Big Gundown and One Million Years B.C. happened to be in the same year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No complaints here either (mostly because, well, it's your list). And I'm not even that much of a fan of this score! I guess that makes me a bit weird...

I'd choose The Blue Max, but then I'm not very familiar with many '66 scores.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Also, very painful that such brilliant scores as The Big Gundown and One Million Years B.C. happened to be in the same year.

Looking at what I have from 1967 I may go looking to see which country had a release for either of these movies...
  5. ...according to imdb.com The Big Gundown was released in Spain in 1966, West Germany 1967 and USA 1969! And One Million Years BC was released in the US in 1967.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmmm? uhm dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    1966 was also the year of BLOW-UP, Antonioni's arguably best film. It had lots of swingin' 60's tunes (by the likes of Herbie Hancock), but is one of the most important films in history to use SILENCE and LACK OF MUSIC.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    1966 was also the year of BLOW-UP, Antonioni's arguably best film. It had lots of swingin' 60's tunes (by the likes of Herbie Hancock), but is one of the most important films in history to use SILENCE and LACK OF MUSIC.

Now that's a film I would like to see again.

But, Hancock's score ( as much as I remember ) is only used as source, coming out of a radio or being played on a record player.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Sand Pebbles would have been my choice
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And of course I meant Bassey
  6. Thor wrote

Didn't know about the use of lack of music in this movie as I've not seen the film. But there are 2-3 tracks that I really enjoy and they're a nice change to the full-blown orchestral score tracks I hear when they appear on my "favourites" playlist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    Blowup didn't use a lot of filler material.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Blowup didn't use a lot of filler material.
    Thomas

Now THAT's the truth. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1966 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Ennio Morricone

I didn't expect any less of you, Alan. wave

It's probably my all-time favourite score. Though Once upon a time in America and Conan the Barbarian are close contenders.

Peter smile
  7. 1967 - You Only Live Twice - John Barry

There was no real doubt that this would be my choice for this year - probably my favourite Bond score that delivers the whole package. A great title song, the Bond space music, great action sequences, really emotional tracks and a oriental colour to the score that just tops it off nicely.

I've gone on about this score several times already when the opportunity arises. Looking at what was available before the score was expanded, I have to say that the shorter version was almost perfect and expanding it didn't really add much to what was already available. A great score.

A couple of scores that I wanted to mention here that I have difficulty enjoying but they're more fascinating rather than enjoyable: Gary McFarland's Eye of The Devil (with it's delicate harp passages & it's off-balance feel) and Henry Mancini's Wait Until Dark with that weird prepared piano (ala Elfman's Red Dragon).

And on the TV front, composers such as Sol Kaplan, Jerry Fielding and Fred Steiner are still producing quality Star Trek scores.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1967 - You Only Live Twice - John Barry

There was no real doubt that this would be my choice for this year - probably my favourite Bond score that delivers the whole package. A great title song, the Bond space music, great action sequences, really emotional tracks and a oriental colour to the score that just tops it off nicely.

I've gone on about this score several times already when the opportunity arises. Looking at what was available before the score was expanded, I have to say that the shorter version was almost perfect and expanding it didn't really add much to what was already available. A great score.

A couple of scores that I wanted to mention here that I have difficulty enjoying but they're more fascinating rather than enjoyable: Gary McFarland's Eye of The Devil (with it's delicate harp passages & it's off-balance feel) and Henry Mancini's Wait Until Dark with that weird prepared piano (ala Elfman's Red Dragon).

And on the TV front, composers such as Sol Kaplan, Jerry Fielding and Fred Steiner are still producing quality Star Trek scores.

Can I marry you? kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    My pick would be Simon & Garfunkle's THE GRADUATE, not only because it's such an important score, historically, but also because there are some damn fine songs there that work both on album and very effectively in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010 edited
    Bah. Songs soundtracks. :dismissive wave:
    Those are inferior art forms.

My pick would have been Jungle Book or In the Heat of the Night.
    Because they...
    ..they have...

...y'know...

........... really
    good

songs.

shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn