• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    By 1969, Williams' career was really kicking into high gear (after more than a decade in the industry), and he was veering away from the cheesy comedies and stuff. So my favourite score from 1969 would have to be THE REIVERS, the delightful Americana score that would write history in the sense that it became a favourite of Spielberg's...and you know the rest.

I'll certainly try and take a listen to this recommendation, Thor. Though, I tend to have an aversion to a lot of Americana scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    The Reivers is not a Williams favourite of mine, in fact, I never listen to it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow, never heard of that Nicolai score before, Alan. Kudos for the obscure choice. Something to check out.

I think my choice for 1969 would be Goldsmith's Justine. It has a unique sound, and is highly listenable all the way through. I fell in love with it from the first second I played it. Listen to the main theme here.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    By 1969, Williams' career was really kicking into high gear (after more than a decade in the industry), and he was veering away from the cheesy comedies and stuff. So my favourite score from 1969 would have to be THE REIVERS, the delightful Americana score that would write history in the sense that it became a favourite of Spielberg's...and you know the rest.

I'll certainly try and take a listen to this recommendation, Thor. Though, I tend to have an aversion to a lot of Americana scores.

Well, then you probably won't like it. It's more down and dirty and jaunty, though, not the kind of open-ended interval-leap-style of Aaron Copland.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Wow, never heard of that Nicolai score before, Alan. Kudos for the obscure choice. Something to check out.

I think my choice for 1969 would be Goldsmith's Justine. It has a unique sound, and is highly listenable all the way through. I fell in love with it from the first second I played it. Listen to the main theme here.

Peter smile

That's a lovely exotically flavoured score with some of the style he employed in the Flint scvores and The Last Run, good stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, Timmer. Haven't heard those two, so I shall check them out. Justine also reminds me of The wind and the lion, as it has that same Middle Eastern/North African sound. It's alot more cosy to listen to though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited
    The trailer of La Battaglia Del Deserto features the main theme from this movie for anyone who's interested.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. 1970 - Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

Listening to this again now I can see how many people may find it difficult to have this as a choice of 1970 favourite - especially with more approachable scores such as Patton, The Last Valley, John William's Jane Eyre and The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. There's a good number of atmospheric tracks where there doesn't seem to be much happening. But having seen the movie will aid in the appreciation of this score. And by the time we get to cues such as "Sunday Morning" and "The 14th Part" (where there's the appearance of driving rhythm, propelling the consequences of the series of events unfolding), having watched the film will draw you into the excitement of these cues.

There are several action-oriented cues that underscore the preparations of the Japanese attack (very little - if any - of the actual attack is scored and really only the decision-making pieces are scored on the American side), but it's Goldsmith's theme for this film that's, to me, such an outstanding piece of composition.

This theme's oriental colouring places the emotional perspective of the film squarely with Japan. And it's an indication of Goldsmith's clear understanding of technique that he can compose such a meaningful theme full of honour and inevitability with such light orchestrations. The final half of "The Final Message" sums up the consequences of what the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor will be for Japan.

One of Goldsmith's finest scores - and definitely up there with the likes of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Another wonderful theme that I just wanted to mention here - but poles apart from Tora! Tora! Tora! - is Barry Gray's groovy theme for U.F.O. I'm not sure if the score as a whole for this show will have stood the test of time (only hearing any forthcoming CD release of this will answer that) but the theme itself is one of the greatest for the small screen.
  3. I've just looked to see my list for 1971.

dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    It's a very good score.

My choices would have been a coin toss on The Last Valley and Jane Eyre.

No quibbles about Barry Gray's excellent UFO though cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    No quibbles about Barry Gray's excellent UFO though cool

I'm going to reserve judgement on the score to U.F.O. until I've had a chance to hear whatever tracks someone (Silva?) will issue in due course. But, as I said, the theme is superb - no question about that! And the spooky end titles. I'd always wait until the end of the credits just to hear the final few bars of that piece - if the continuity guy kept his mouth shut!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Those end titles are amongst the creepiest ever written, for TV or film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The trailer of La Battaglia Del Deserto features the main theme from this movie for anyone who's interested.

Sounds very nice indeed. Has that cool spaghetti western sound I dig, despite not being a western.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    1970 - Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

I don't know much about this one, but I've heard the Main title and The final message. I love the theme too, it's very unique. It has a rather tragic feel, though not overtly. It also reminds me of some of the themes from the old samurai movies, and I'm sure that's where Jerry found much of the inspiration.

My choice for 1970 would be Morricone's La califfa. This is one of the finest romantic scores ever composed, with several very strong themes. Barry's The last valley is also a real masterpiece, and I have a thing about Delerue's Promise at dawn.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is Alan's list. Don't agree
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    It is Alan's list. Don't agree

Of course it's Alan's list Tom but we are entitled to opinions. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Of course. You all have the right to be wrong cheesy

I like the Private Life of Holmes. Rozsa wrote a wonderful concerto
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wow...Jane Eyre is supreme to me. Not just one of Williams' finest scores, but one of the most beautiful works composed for film ever, and is by far the better stand-alone listen.

Did you choose Tora! Tora! Tora! primarily for its effect in the film, Alan?
    (I do know you're rather partial to the oriental sound in film scores anyway smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Rozsa guys I'm sorry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No Tom, BARRY, sorry mate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    No Tim ROZSA, sorry mate
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahem.
    Williams.
    Actually.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    nope
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ahem.
    Williams.
    Actually.

It's a toughie, but because Jane Eyre is such a fantastic score, together we beat Tom out. Sorry mate. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No question - JANE EYRE all the way, although the TV film is rather crappy. Honorable mentions to LA CALIFFA and LOVE STORY (yes, you heard that right!).

TORA!TORA!TORA! is alright (I have the Varese rerecording), but nothing remarkable.

And while PATTON is a classic, the score has never really done anything for me as a soundtrack - which is how I usually judge my picks in this thread. I'm guessing that's how Alan does it too?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thanks for the comments - nice to see the topic come alive once in a while!!

I had a listen to all the "front runners" mentioned above just as a recap but none of them really grabs me.

Martijn, my choice was mostly down to the music - as you rightly say, I do have a penchant for oriental scores. But viewing the watching the movie increased my appreciation for the score immeasurably; particularly with the more suspenseful tracks.

Thor, I've heard the re-recording of Tora! Tora! Tora! that comes with the re-recording of Patton, and I think that it sounds terrible. It's lost all of its power compared with the OST. If you get a chance, take a listen to the original recording: it may not change your mind on the 1970 selection but I'm sure you'll like the original more.
  5. Tora! Tora! Tora! is I think the best Japanese-themed Hollywood score. Yes, it's not really the best listening experience ever, but mind the career moment Goldsmith was in then (very experimental) and also mind the fact that while well-documented and all, this works more as a political thriller than a full-fledged war movie. It's about what led to the attack rather than the (insanely well-filmed, even at today's standards, one of proofs how great 1970s were for film!) December 7th event itself.

Also, good to see a Hollywood movie making a point of how and why the Americans deserved that loss (in a military sense). Amazing filmmaking.

Culturally, having a Japanese crew for the Japanese sequences (though Akira Kurosawa succeeded at getting himself fired after he learnt that the producers lied to him about David Lean directing the American sequences; it would be even better with his involvement, I am sure) was amazing and the way Goldsmith musically depicted Japanese culture (as I understand it) with its strict, rigid sense of honour gives the movie even bigger sense of factual objectivity and, I think, is one of the composer's biggest artistic successes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010
    It did get a bit lively
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    It did get a bit lively

Love it Tom biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    I'm waiting for next year.
  6. I'm hoping to get 1971 up sometime later today - now that I have the L'Iguana Dalla Lingua di Fuoco/Addio, Fratello Crudele/eMusic.com debacle sorted (see the Ennio Morricone thread for the embarrassing details.)