• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm hoping to get 1971 up sometime later today - now that I have the L'Iguana Dalla Lingua di Fuoco/Addio, Fratello Crudele/eMusic.com debacle sorted (see the Ennio Morricone thread for the embarrassing details.)

Hehe, nothing for you to feel embarrassed about. That website screwed it up, and you caught their mistake. Hope they'll repay you quickly, and won't start making excuses.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll be patient
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Then I'll be doctor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm hoping to get up sometime later today.

Yeah me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Too late for me.
    It's been a six screwdriver afternoon.

I'm back to bed.
    dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's been a what?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    a six screwdriver afternoon.

An afternoon that saw the imbibing and ingestion of six screwdrivers.
    Great globs of joy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting. And this is good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    1.5 oz Vodka
    6 oz orange juice

Who gives a shit whether or not it's good?
    It's not like you're gonna feel anything after three or so... dizzy

(Yes, it's good. And extremely dangerous: you don't notice the alcohol kicking in until it's way, way too late. I've never been more blindingly drunk then with screwdrivers)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (it's always like this with this kind of cocktails, they're too sneaky). Not a big fan of vodka myself though. I mean it doesn't bother me but i don't exactly go out looking for vodka smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    That's the thing. You won't find it in the orange juice.
    You'll only notice the effect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, I got drunk on something similiar not too long ago... and it's a seriously dangerous way to get drunk! biggrin

I generally stick with beer these days, but if you can hack it, good for you! beer

It's the hangovers I can't handle truth be told. Sometimes I've genuinely wished I had morphine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    only from the mind of Martijn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    That's the thing. You won't find it in the orange juice.
    You'll only notice the effect.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    only from the mind of Martijn

On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yes, I got drunk on something similiar not too long ago... and it's a seriously dangerous way to get drunk! biggrin

I generally stick with beer these days, but if you can hack it, good for you! beer

It's the hangovers I can't handle truth be told. Sometimes I've genuinely wished I had morphine.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! biggrin

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    .........oh dear

vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    opaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
  1. Hoping to get 1971 up today...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Better start a new thread Alan as this one is now about drinking
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wouldn't worry Tom, just a short interlude beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010 edited
    1971 - Diamonds Are Forever - John Barry

This year was another tricky year, but I find that Barry's score is the one that is consistently good - and varied - across the whole CD. Great song, great set pieces, sultry and quirky tracks. Stand out tracks include "Bond Smells A Rat", a staple Bond-in-peril cue and "Q's Trick", a track that brightens any dull day!

For ages Schifrin's Dirty Harry was going to be my choice but I'd forgotten how many source cues there were and I usually skip those. Other contenders this year were Morricone's Addio, Fratello Crudele (a great theme, used throughout), Herrmann's The Night Digger, Michael Small's Klute, Shaft and Ron Grainer's The Omega Man.

Jerry Fielding is well represented in 1971 with the likes of Chato's Land, Lawman and Straw Dogs but I can't really say I enjoy these much.

But what would win hands down if it were themes would also be a Barry track: The Persuaders. A top 3 TV theme tune. Other notable TV themes were Alan Hawkshaw's theme for Dave Allen At Large and Don Watten's Mr Benn (the latter two only really familiar to residents of the UK of a certain age!)

I've decided to revise this title.

1971 - The Omega Man - Ron Grainer

My earlier choice of the Bruno Nicolai title was based upon my love for the title theme that was used in a variety of ways throughout the score and my choice for 1971 was based more on the more rounded and varied cues found in Barry's Diamonds Are Forever.

But, since I chose it I've had this niggle at the back of my mind asking me "...but what would you listen to now if you had the choice?" And it would have to be Grainer The Omega Man. It's such a great theme - that's used again and again throughout the score - and it seems to be so out of place in a film on such a subject (based on the same book as the recent film I Am Legend.)

I missed the original release FSM put out and only came across this when FSM released a "2.0" (and it turned out better) release.

I'm not going to make a habit of changing my mind in this list but I wasn't happy seeing the Barry title in the list but wanting to listen to something else.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, it's Bond & Barry, so you probably know my take on that.

For 1971, it would have to be between DIRTY HARRY, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (not getting into the 'score' debate again, but I think Carlos' synth distillations of classical music are fantastic in the film and great listening alone too!), A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, GET CARTER and SHAFT.

Probably CLOCKWORK since I'm a synth buff!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I've only heard the 3 or so tracks Carlos released in the Vol. 1 & 2 sets that were released a few years back (and that featured a lot of what was done for The Shining) so I can't really form an opinion on the score (I've not seen the movie either.)

But I don't like the sound that the synths put out in those tracks I have heard.

The "synth sound" is quite important to me. That's why I like Jean-Michel Jarre over Vangelis: the choice of synths that Jarre used always seemed more pleasing to the ear than the harshness of Vangelis' electronics.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010
    I'm surprised but pleased you went for Diamonds Are Forever Alan, a superlative Bond score that's varied, my favourite track is 007 And Counting and yet it has so much more.

As for The Persuaders, quite simply one of THE best TV themes EVER!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Well, it's Bond & Barry, so you probably know my take on that.

For 1971, it would have to be between DIRTY HARRY, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (not getting into the 'score' debate again, but I think Carlos' synth distillations of classical music are fantastic in the film and great listening alone too!), A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, GET CARTER and SHAFT.

Probably CLOCKWORK since I'm a synth buff!

Clockwork Orange? meh!

Dirty Harry? Brilliant, funky and edgy jazz score.

I also love the Morricone and Hayes scores.

Get Carter is a fantastic theme, one of the all time iconic themes, but there isn't much more score in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Either Mary Queen of Scots or Nicholas and Alexandra would be my choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Timmer wrote
    I'm surprised but pleased you went for Diamonds Are Forever Alan, a superlative Bond score that's varied, my favourite track is 007 And Counting and yet it has so much more.

I found it a very difficult choice. Last time I chose Dirty Harry, but reviewing it again recently I was surprised how much source cues there were. It's a great listen but these source tracks detract slightly my own listening experience.

The Omega Man has a brilliant theme and was another contender for top spot. Same goes for Shaft.

But Diamonds Are Forever - this week at least - is the score that is the most consistent, enjoyable listen.