• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A thing to keep in mind about these kinds of lists is that they tend to be favourites rather than scores that are "classic" in the sense of being scores that are shining examples of the subject.

So I may rule out all the classics for a specific year because there's a certain score that resonates with me more.

I'm don't know enough to decide what a "classic" score is. I only know what I like - and even then I am at a loss sometimes to work out why I like it!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    That's alright, Alan.
    We're here to tell you your mind. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote
    That's alright, Alan.
    We're here to tell you your mind. wink

biggrin

Something happened yesterday that is vaguely relevant to this feeling of not being able to vocalise why I like something.

I was listening to some tracks from Macro Beltrami's Hellboy. There's a theme in this score that doesn't appear much - if at all - in the film. I think that it's most prominantly heard in the last couple of minutes in the track "B.P.R.D Suite" of the expanded version of the score. It's one of Beltrami's greatest achievements (in my book anyway). It's a grand piece of music - and it always brings a tear to my eye. It's not sad but uplifting. And I have no idea why it has that effect on me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Against El Cid? shocked

Westside Story is great, but this is pretty much a No Contest in my book.
    (You probably wouldn't have expected nothing else from me, though wink )

One last point about WEST SIDE STORY.

It's a musical that had it's debut in 1957 and it wasn't written for a film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    To Alan's post: Doesn't surprise me in the least, your reaction. Crying is just a way to release strong emotions. It releases hormones that restores an equilibrium to your body. That's why people cry at happy endings as much as sad endings. In the end it's all about the strength of the emotion, not the intention.

I'd say it's a wonderful thing a piece of music can stir up such a powerful emotion in anyone that it requires this kind of relief. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said it is Alan's list.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote

I've just searched for "it's Alan's list" and I was surprised to find that it's only been said twice! Seems a lot more than that! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    west side story vomit
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

I've just searched for "it's Alan's list" and I was surprised to find that it's only been said twice! Seems a lot more than that! wink

I believed I called it "Alan's Favourites" once, which sounds like a dish on a menu.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    west side story vomit

It's quite simply the BEST musical ever written, sublime!

Perhaps if you could tear yourself away from ....ummmm? Oh yeah! Andrew Lloyd Whatsisname vomit

...you'll hear what true brilliance is.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FACT.

There are VERY few musicals I enjoy (three, maybe four).
    There is only ONE musical I would describe as a classic enigma, and a musical masterpiece, and that's West Side Story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can't stand it! Not much of a musical fan anyway... but I love the shit out of Singin' in the Rain and South Park: The Movie!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just because you wouldn't like to be in America. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    vomit
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I can't stand it! Not much of a musical fan anyway... but I love the shit out of Singin' in the Rain and South Park: The Movie!

-Erik-

:shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The prologue in West Side Story is so laughably awful! Incredibly well shot, great music but totally vomit inducing!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    okay. :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gangsters snapping their fingers and flamboyantly prancing and dancing around. That will put the scare into you.

rolleyes

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAN!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    The prologue in West Side Story is so laughably awful! Incredibly well shot, great music but totally vomit inducing!

-Erik-

The epitome of vomit-inducing cheese.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik have i told you that you escalated even more in my already established appreciation? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    D, have I told you that you've gone 3 notches up on the Asslickometer. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010 edited
    lol

Best laugh of the day... so far!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahaha i know; i am just excited that i found another individual who things that it's actually crap. smile Most of the people i mentioned my feelings towards wss looked at me like i was from outer space. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Gangsters snapping their fingers and flamboyantly prancing and dancing around. That will put the scare into you.

And yet you like a guy dancing and singing under the rain......with an umbrella!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010 edited
    ^[nominate] POST OF THE WEEK! [/nominate]
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

And yet you like a guy dancing and singing under the rain......with an umbrella!

Apples and Oranges.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The above is the definition of charming.

The other is simply gross.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was listening to some tracks from Macro Beltrami's Hellboy. There's a theme in this score that doesn't appear much - if at all - in the film. I think that it's most prominantly heard in the last couple of minutes in the track "B.P.R.D Suite" of the expanded version of the score. It's one of Beltrami's greatest achievements (in my book anyway). It's a grand piece of music - and it always brings a tear to my eye. It's not sad but uplifting. And I have no idea why it has that effect on me.

Is it the odd theme you mean? I always associate it with the odd beginning. The suite is mighty. I'll have this score in my car tomorrow!

Has this score been mentioned in the thread about expanded releases already?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2010
    Tim has it correctly. It was a broadway musical. Hollywood got involved because of one thing. Money.
    listen to more classical music!