• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    48 Hours and Glory and, I think, Casper tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Harmonicovuvuzelasaaarggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Harmonicovuvuzelasaaarggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

A beautiful and soulful instrument in the right hands, I love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Completely agree. Used properly, it is a boon to any score.
    And not for an "Americana" sound exclusively, either: one of the best Dutch film scores Turks Fruit ("Turkish Delight") feautures world harmonica virtuoso Marcel "Toots" Tielemans (a Belgian) very prominently!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Toots is quite rightly regarded as one of the worlds very best, I love his work with jazz legend Jaco Pastorius, he's also the original player on John Barry's iconic Midnight Cowboy theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    I go with the academy on this one and the Chaplin Limelight
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote

confused
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

confused

Double confused

Chaplin's score isn't terrible but the fact a tiny technicality (The film was not released in Los Angeles until 1972. Under the Academy rules at the time being, this permitted it to be eligible despite of being 20 years old.) made it eligible for the 1973 Oscars. That wasn't the only blunder... of course most of us know that The Godfather was nominated for best score but then withdrawn for reusing parts of Rota's own Fortunella score. What a complete clusterf_ck that year was!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Sorry for being a bit slow with 1973. I'll get it posted as soon as I can.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    To me it doesn't matter what year it came out. I like the score. It wouldn't matter to me if Beethoven's Fifth was composed in 1800 or 2000. It is a good work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    To me it doesn't matter what year it came out. I like the score. It wouldn't matter to me if Beethoven's Fifth was composed in 1800 or 2000. It is a good work.

It does matter in this case! The Oscars was a technicality on their part but the film was released everywhere else in 1958.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    LIMELIGHT was released in 1973 in the US?!? Wow, that's news to me. Weird. It's like DANCES WITH WOLVES or HOME ALONE getting a premiere in 2010!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Re-released. Because of a technicality, the Oscar noms were ruled out for Chaplin back then. The re-release in cinemas got it nominated. I don't know the exact story though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Re-released. Because of a technicality, the Oscar noms were ruled out for Chaplin back then. The re-release in cinemas got it nominated. I don't know the exact story though.

Look a few posts up! uhm

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Oscars are an enigma and that is being kind to them.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    The only think I have from 1931 is Max Steiner short Cimarron score from the RKO box set. It's quite lovely though.

Personally one of my own must-haves from the golden age would be Rozsa's The Thief of Baghdad. But I'm glad this isn't my list: I don't envy your task of having to pick from The Magnificent Seven, Psycho and Spartacus for 1960, FalkinBairn.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    1972 - Superfly - Curtis Mayfield

I came across this score (and songs) for the first time about a year ago and I've enjoyed it ever since. There's just so much energy in each and every track. And the songs are just so listenable in their own right. I much prefer this over Shaft which, to me, has a corker of a title theme but the rest fails to deliver to the same extent.

Never heard of that one before. Having just checked out the trailer I'm not sure it's my kinda thing. The funky blaxploitation sound is entertaining and cool in a funny kinda way, but I can't really enjoy the music as a separate listening experience.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    There's some scores that have some great themes, but they're only highlights in amongst the other tracks: The Poseidon Adventure, The Godfather, tracks such as "Roma Baldacca" from Morricone's Questa Specie D'amore, "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance (Eric Weissberg) and "Dogs, Ponies & Old Ruins" from Images (John Williams).

I'm not sure what you mean by "but they're only highlights in amongst the other tracks". confused

"Questa specie d'amore" would definitely be my 1972 choice. There's not just 1, or a pathetic 2, nor 3, and not a mere 4, neither 5, but 6 extraordinary themes on that album! That makes it a dream album for me.

Peter smile
  3. plindboe wrote
    I'm not sure what you mean by "but they're only highlights in amongst the other tracks". confused

Just my clumsy way of saying that there's 2-3 highlight tracks in amongst the CD as a whole.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    plindboe wrote

Just my clumsy way of saying that there's 2-3 highlight tracks in amongst the CD as a whole.

Another difference of opinion
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fight!
    Fight!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. biggrin

There are not many CDs that I have where I would listen to every single track - and love them all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Which of the 6 brilliant themes don't you like, Alan? shocked

The superb main theme Questa specie d'amore?
    The gorgeous love theme Federico e la sua solitudine?
    The catchy and baroque Roma baldracca?
    The brilliantly nostalgic La terra del padre?
    The wonderful, patriotic Al popolo di Parma?
    The sad and beautiful La madre?

Peter wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I liken this difference of opinion to my liking every track of The Best Years of Our Lives and many who have no interest at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But why would you want to listen to such an old score when you can listen to so many new scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I also enjoy Beethoven
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    "Questa specie d'amore" would definitely be my 1972 choice. There's not just 1, or a pathetic 2, nor 3, and not a mere 4, neither 5, but 6 extraordinary themes on that album! That makes it a dream album for me.

Peter smile

THAT many memorable melodies?? Wow, I never realized Questa specie d'amore had so much wealth of melodic beauty. Maybe I never made time to carefully study that score. I think I'll pop it in next.

Some other top 1972 picks for me would be: Anthony and Cleopatra, Chi l'ha vista morire?, Pope Joan and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    I think Alan has taken a little well deserved break from this thread
  5. I have - sorry about that!

I think that I've recharged my batteries and am hoping to have the next title up this weekend...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    good
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    No rush, in your own time Alan beer