• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    The Jungle Book...man, Disney songs rarely got better than that, absolute genius!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Both The Jungle Book and In The Heat of The Night have some quality tracks on them. The latter title though is one that I have only recently heard on CD.

The Jungle Book is music that I've an association with for many years: I used to have an LP that featured the story narrated and the inclusion of the songs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    My pick would be Simon & Garfunkle's THE GRADUATE, not only because it's such an important score, historically, but also because there are some damn fine songs there that work both on album and very effectively in the film.

But the score was written by Dave Grusin, wasn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    My pick would be Simon & Garfunkle's THE GRADUATE, not only because it's such an important score, historically, but also because there are some damn fine songs there that work both on album and very effectively in the film.

Could be. The songs the thing, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, there are a few cuts of Grusin on the soundtrack. I love the Simon & Garfunkle songs.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

But the thing is this thread is called "Movie/TV/Game Scores Through The Ages."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Yes, but the influence of The Graduate might be quite big. Thor, could you elaborate on the importance?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. 1968 - Planet of The Apes - Jerry Goldsmith

Not a particularly original choice for those hoping for a little-known title, but I believe that the score itself is a particularly original one. It's almost a cartoon/mickey-mouse score the way that Goldsmith uses complex techniques (at least to my untutored ears) to ape(!) the on screen action. There's such variety that you can close your eyes and see the action through the music.

As such, the score seems to peak in the middle with tracks such as "The Hunt" and "No Escape" and then seems to go against convention and end on a low: and Goldsmith doesn't even score the final revelation (an initial disappointment when I first go this CD and didn't really know how the finale was scored.)

A great score, particularly when you see what it's up against: a couple of excellent Alex North scores, a handful of top-notch Morricone titles, Ice Station Zebra and Where Eagles Dare.

And TV is continuing to produce some excellent themes (Hawaii Five-0) that's carried through into the scores themselves: Joe 90 & Mission: Impossible.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No problem with your choice Alan and I can see why you chose it, it's certainly a groundbreaking score but I do have a problem that you didn't even mention one of the greatest choral scores of all time....

THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

It WON the Oscar for that year too.
  5. I had a feeling that I'd be pulled up for not mentioning The Barry. I know that it is regarded very highly by most people, but it's a score that I just don't really get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's almost a cartoon/mickey-mouse score the way that Goldsmith uses complex techniques (at least to my untutored ears) to ape(!) the on screen action.

biggrin

Not enough coats and doors in the world for that one...
  6. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    1968 has some really big contenders. Once upon a time in the west, The lion in winter, Romeo and Juliet are three of the best scores evah composed. As a morriconian I think Guns for San Sebastian would be my choice if I evaluate it as an album listening experience. But if I evaluate the genius of the work and how it works in the movie then it would have to be Once upon a time in the west.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Sure, but there's also such a thing as a SONG SCORE which is no less valuable or legitimate than an instrumental (symphonic) score.

Yes, but the influence of The Graduate might be quite big. Thor, could you elaborate on the importance?

THE GRADUATE, along with EASY RIDER, are often quoted as the two major titles, the ARCH-EXAMPLES, that made pop and rock music...well, popular as film music in the 60's. They became symptomatic of a particular trend. EASY RIDER as the "compilation song score" and THE GRADUATE with songs by a single artist (duo), written originally for the film.

As for 1968, that is indeed a strong year, but I would agree with Alan's choice. PLANET OF THE APES it is, followed closely by ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I wish I got Planet of the apes though. It makes no sense to my brain when I listen to it.

Peter confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think I listened to it once a few years back and have been too scared to listen to it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Sure, but there's also such a thing as a SONG SCORE which is no less valuable or legitimate than an instrumental (symphonic) score.

Did I say they weren't? I don't think Alan is added "Song Scores" to his list hence the name of the thread.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Did I say they weren't? I don't think Alan is added "Song Scores" to his list hence the name of the thread.

-Erik-

A score is a score - some are instrumental, some are songs. I never thought this was only about the former. Or?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Where is the IGNORE button?!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor.

Original composition (orchestral or any other instrumental kind) written for a specific film = score.
    Anything else that can be contained in the audio soundtrack of the movie, be it pre-existent material or songs or anything = soundtrack, song soundtrack etc.

It's very simple. Don't waste energy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I think I listened to it once a few years back and have been too scared to listen to it again.

I've never had a problem listening to POTA though I admit it's a challenging stand alone listen, I'm guessing you wouldn't be in a hurry to listen to Bela Bartok either, the work of whom JG drew his inspiration.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor.

Original composition (orchestral or any other instrumental kind) written for a specific film = score.
    Anything else that can be contained in the audio soundtrack of the movie, be it pre-existent material or songs or anything = soundtrack, song soundtrack etc.

The songs in The Graduate were written for the film and the album also contains score so IT DOES COUNT. It's certainly worthy of discussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor.

The songs in The Graduate were written for the film and the album also contains score so IT DOES COUNT. It's certainly worthy of discussion.

Exactly. I agree that pre-existing songs that are merely pasted into the film do not qualify as score in the strictest sense of the word. But songs that were specifically composed for the film and its dramatic needs, most certainly does. The Simon & Garfunkle songs in THE GRADUATE are just as much 'score' as John Williams' STAR WARS or whatever.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They are called original songs, usually. Not score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A score usually means the orchestral score, this is where the name came from but anyway not being characterized as a score doesn't mean anything bad really so why the fuss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    A score usually means the orchestral score, this is where the name came from but anyway not being characterized as a score doesn't mean anything bad really so why the fuss.

The word 'score' has many meanings in music theory which makes it a bit confusing, of course, but in a filmatic sense, it is usually meant to denote the music that is SPECIFICALLY COMPOSED for the film. Whether it is based on songs or instrumentals is really irrelevant. Pop songs that are NOT composed for the film, do not really qualify as 'score', though. In that case, we tend to use other descriptions instead (like 'songtrack'). Although there are those who would argue that THEY qualify as score as well, depending on how judiciously they are used in the film. But I don't necessarily agree with that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I certainly don't see why a song can't be classed as a score, but I guess it does seem a might strange to call a song a score, even if it has been specifically written for a film or a specific scene. :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    They are called original songs, usually. Not score.

Which is the reason there are two separate music categories at the Oscars.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Are you seriously suggesting that you've been a film music fan for God knows how many years, and you've never heard the expression "song score"??
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Where in the hell did I suggest that I didn't know of the expression "song score." Of course I have. The Academy use to hand out Oscars for song scores. How else do you think Prince got an Academy Award? Acting?

-Erik-