• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    keky wrote
    Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

I still can't really like this album. There are some good tracks in it, for sure, but all those action materials sound rather non-melodic to my ears. I know that this is considered to be one of the peaks of action soundtracks but I can't help I prefer Horner's, Doyle's or Williams' action writing over Goldsmith's.
    The Dream and End of the Dream or even Big Jump are good but the rest of the action material is not for me.
    I will certainly give it some more tries, though.

Obviously it all comes down to taste and perhaps Goldsmith's style isn't for you!? For me this is a fantastic score, besides the tracks you mentioned I would also point out The Mutant as a score highlight, a truly awesome piece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Time Machine Klaus Badelt

I'm glad this one has come up in discussion again, because I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is. Badelt is certainly one of the better composers to have emerged from Media Ventures, if just for his simple-yet-beautiful melodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If you like Badelt's melodies and would like to try something a bit more sophisticated (ok, rather a LOT more sophisticated) I recommend Badelt's Rescue Dawn, if you haven't already heard it. Particularly the climactic cue "Rescue" is possibly Badelt's best dramatic writing to date. And the theme is probably his most beautiful of all.

RE: keky and Timmer, I love Goldsmith's style but I too do not like Total Recall very much. What I enjoy about Goldsmith scores is normally their shifts between gorgeous melody and intense action...whereas this particular score contains all of the latter and none of the former...it's just too intense, you never get a break!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

One of his finest scores, with lovely, soothing themes. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

I'm glad this one has come up in discussion again, because I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is. Badelt is certainly one of the better composers to have emerged from Media Ventures, if just for his simple-yet-beautiful melodies.

Yeap; that, The Promise and REscue Dawn (and parts of K-19) are very enjoyable.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    If you like Badelt's melodies and would like to try something a bit more sophisticated (ok, rather a LOT more sophisticated) I recommend Badelt's Rescue Dawn, if you haven't already heard it. Particularly the climactic cue "Rescue" is possibly Badelt's best dramatic writing to date. And the theme is probably his most beautiful of all.

I've heard it, but it's been a while since I've listened to it. But more sophisticated doesn't necessarily mean I should enjoy it more. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeap; that, The Promise and REscue Dawn (and parts of K-19) are very enjoyable.

Do not forget Ned Kelly either! One of my favourites from Badelt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    I've heard it, but it's been a while since I've listened to it. But more sophisticated doesn't necessarily mean I should enjoy it more. wink

Why of course it does mean that, you idiot. Everyone knows that film music fans must only enjoy music that is so sophisticated that they cannot comprehend their enjoyment of it...in fact the lack of comprehensibility is the very reason for the enjoyment. What, do you think this is about entertainment? Fool.

please pardon the individual who just took over my computer
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hi I am back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    keky wrote
    Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith

I still can't really like this album. There are some good tracks in it, for sure, but all those action materials sound rather non-melodic to my ears. I know that this is considered to be one of the peaks of action soundtracks but I can't help I prefer Horner's, Doyle's or Williams' action writing over Goldsmith's.
    The Dream and End of the Dream or even Big Jump are good but the rest of the action material is not for me.
    I will certainly give it some more tries, though.

It was the second score I bought (after broken arrow). Just for the main theme.

for a lot of years I find the action music too non-melodic and "bussy" for me. It gave me headache.

But then I grow up as score fan, I beggan to aprecciate the musical dissonance and i started to love this complex action composition.

Now it's one of my all time favourite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Merlin ~ Robe Lane

First listen. It started being broadcasted on Greek TV last weekend and I really liked the main theme. Nice series, but I like anything Arthurian so I'm not so objective I'm afraid.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Henri 4 - Jackman
    There are actually some nice themes hiding in here. Hiding very well. tongue
    5th listen!
  1. Scribe wrote

RE: keky and Timmer, I love Goldsmith's style but I too do not like Total Recall very much. What I enjoy about Goldsmith scores is normally their shifts between gorgeous melody and intense action...whereas this particular score contains all of the latter and none of the former...it's just too intense, you never get a break!

But there is gorgeous melody in this score, it's just hidden very well beneath layers of synths, percussion and orchestra. It's really a clever piece of work and if you're into that sort of complex writing you can understand its beauty or awesomeness, whatever takes your fancy. I appreciate it for its sheer power and Goldsmith's ability to create something totally consistent out of what to layman's ears may sound like an absolute mess. And the themes have always struck gold with me. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    5th listen!

5h listen????'

Please , if someone has to be a new Saint it is Scibre.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    5th listen!

YES! Welcome to the club!

I think the lack of action cues really hamper the album's seemingly long running time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Jordi, scores are either so awful that I delete them before finishing them, otherwise I give them 5 listens. This fell into the latter category. Barely. It does get a little better after a while. If nothing else, the sound design and the way the classical pieces are integrated into the overall sonic palette is ear-pleasingly clever.

DreamTheater wrote
    Scribe wrote

But there is gorgeous melody in this score, it's just hidden very well beneath layers of synths, percussion and orchestra. It's really a clever piece of work and if you're into that sort of complex writing you can understand its beauty or awesomeness, whatever takes your fancy. I appreciate it for its sheer power and Goldsmith's ability to create something totally consistent out of what to layman's ears may sound like an absolute mess. And the themes have always struck gold with me. punk

Darn you, now I have to listen to the thing AGAIN. Every time I speak my opinion of this score, someone else says something that makes me curious to go back to it. And every time I am somewhat more talented of a listener and it gets a little better, but I still haven't gotten to the point of actually liking it. Someday, I hope.
  2. Maybe it's a generational thing as well as personal taste. I've always loved that particular Goldsmith period (the 80s where he was experimenting with synths all the way through the 90s where he perfected it). Total Recall was a winner from the getgo for me, because he was already at the top of his game, composition-wise and he had incredible inspiration and novel ideas for it as well. Well apart from the Conan rip-off I guess.... tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    DreamTheater wrote
    Scribe wrote

But there is gorgeous melody in this score, it's just hidden very well beneath layers of synths, percussion and orchestra.

OK, but I much prefer if the melody is NOT hidden. I also prefer memorable melody over complex writing, however simple the melody may be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Maybe it's a generational thing as well as personal taste. I've always loved that particular Goldsmith period (the 80s where he was experimenting with synths all the way through the 90s where he perfected it). tongue

I agree with that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Sherlock Holmes ~ Hans Zimmer

First listen. I don't know... I can't connect with it. Perhaps I should give it one more spin later and for a better opinion.

Next I'll play : The 13th Warrior ~ Jerry Goldsmith

Brilliant!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What do you think about Excalibur, Stavi?
    (Both the score (Wagner/Jones) and the film?)
    It's my very favourite Arthurian 'version'.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Excalibur! The first cinematographic version of the Arthurian legend I ever saw and I still remember the amazement I felt. By far my favourite representation. As for the score, how I cannot like it when the blending of the two (Wagner/Jones) is done so skillfully that the result is beyond words.

P.S. I' ve just realised that the film was shot in 1981 meaning that I wasn't even born yet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    P.S. I' ve just realised that the film was shot in 1981 meaning that I wasn't even born yet!

cry
    I was there to see the very first reviews (which -amazingly- were incredibly mixed!).
    I'll comfort myself with the thought that at least I was still young enough to not be allowed in yet.
    (which still makes me old... slant I need Tim, Alan and Tom to chime in now to make me feel young and vigorous again sad

wink )

In the late eighties I have searched for ages before I found that THAT THEME was actually Wagner's 'Sigfrid's Tod' (mind that this were the days before internet, CDs and TV-on-demand! So my sources of information were severely limited at best). Bloody ecstatic when I finally found it, thanks to a record by dutch conductor Bernard Haitink who had recorded a number of overtures and instrumental material from Wagner.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm playing a lot more classical music these days... not sure why... but this morning while making breakfast I spun Prokofiev's magnificent Scythian Suite I wanted to hit the repeat button on the second movement "The Enemy God And The Dance Of The Black Spirits." shocked The last movement reminded me of the dark and dissonant music Alex North wrote for Dragonslayer.

I then, on the recommendation of a Facebook friend, spun Sibelius' 5th and 7th Symphonies. Nothing too demanding which is what I'm in the mood for. The 3rd movement of the 5th Symphony is OUTSTANDING and the recording is brilliant. The album I have features Leonard Bernstein conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.

I'm then going to move onto Andrew Pearce's mind blowing Cinema Symphony which is easily one of my all time favorite orchestral albums.

I'm then going to pop on Chandos' The Film Music of Ralph Vaughan Williams Vol 1. featuring Scott of the Antarctic, Coastal Command and The People's Land.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Excalibur! The first cinematographic version of the Arthurian legend I ever saw and I still remember the amazement I felt. By far my favourite representation. As for the score, how I cannot like it when the blending of the two (Wagner/Jones) is done so skillfully that the result is beyond words.

I think we had a little conversation about this on some thread or other??

Anyway, totally agree and the film is still a favourite of mine to this day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm then going to move onto Andrew Pearce's mind blowing Cinema Symphony which is easily one of my all time favorite orchestral albums.

-Erik-

It's fast becoming a favourite with me too. An album that takes a couple of listens to really appreciate, but nonetheless has that certain quality on the first listen that makes you sit up and notice, that's what I'm always looking out for. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Jordi, scores are either so awful that I delete them before finishing them, otherwise I give them 5 listens. This fell into the latter category. Barely. It does get a little better after a while. If nothing else, the sound design and the way the classical pieces are integrated into the overall sonic palette is ear-pleasingly clever.

DreamTheater wrote
    Scribe wrote

Darn you, now I have to listen to the thing AGAIN. Every time I speak my opinion of this score, someone else says something that makes me curious to go back to it. And every time I am somewhat more talented of a listener and it gets a little better, but I still haven't gotten to the point of actually liking it. Someday, I hope.

Total Recall really was my entry into Goldsmith action scoring. It's the pinnacle of his style, I think. Nothing has top it for me, ever.
  4. yeah

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote

Why of course it does mean that, you idiot. Everyone knows that film music fans must only enjoy music that is so sophisticated that they cannot comprehend their enjoyment of it...in fact the lack of comprehensibility is the very reason for the enjoyment. What, do you think this is about entertainment? Fool.

please pardon the individual who just took over my computer

Point well taken. biggrin wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    NP : ROVING MARS - Philip Glass

a very enjoyable score nicely rounded off with a Sigur Ros song, very ethereal and hypnotic. cool

As you were Martijn, nothing of interest for you here.........scoot!