• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    House of Sand and Fog - James Horner

I watched this last night just to remind myself of why I liked it so much, and sure enough, I found it an absolute masterpiece. And of course, the score is one of Horners's best just for the last 30 minutes alone. Truly an underrated gem... biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

I am a big fan of this score, granted it's not "beautiful" in terms of thematic material, but to me it's a rare case of a very heavy psychological drama which Horner did NOT emotionally overload, except the final 30 minutes of the album, but Vadim Perelman took the blame here for actually *having* music there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Popped in a CD that I haven't for a good long while:

The Art of Noise: Daft

Anne Dudley and her gang with instrumental music by the group. Fun credit on hte back of the CD tray: "Trevor Horn thumbed along".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Wrong thread?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Depends on how you see it, since it's they're not "songs" and they are instrumental, and done by a film composer, so...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I watched this last night just to remind myself of why I liked it so much, and sure enough, I found it an absolute masterpiece. And of course, the score is one of Horners's best just for the last 30 minutes alone. Truly an underrated gem... biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

I am a big fan of this score, granted it's not "beautiful" in terms of thematic material, but to me it's a rare case of a very heavy psychological drama which Horner did NOT emotionally overload, except the final 30 minutes of the album, but Vadim Perelman took the blame here for actually *having* music there.

I really need to listen to it. I know one cue of it but ultimately this one passed under the radar, sparking no interest when the film came out and I've since ignored it. I'll be giving it a listen especially since the final 30 minutes are so good according to you guys.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. PawelStroinski wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I actually felt that the music bolstered the final scenes of the film. It once again reinforced the fact that Horner is one of the best composers at writing intensely tragic pieces.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I really need to listen to it. I know one cue of it but ultimately this one passed under the radar, sparking no interest when the film came out and I've since ignored it. I'll be giving it a listen especially since the final 30 minutes are so good according to you guys.

Have a Kleenex ready...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    NP:Gears of War 2 (Jablonsky)

a lot of thestosterone here. punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Popped in a CD that I haven't for a good long while:

The Art of Noise: Daft

Anne Dudley and her gang with instrumental music by the group. Fun credit on hte back of the CD tray: "Trevor Horn thumbed along".

I won't quibble too much but isn't this like NP'ing Love Over Gold - Dire Straits just because of Mark Knopfler!?

Whatever, I like Art of Noise cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Atlantis - The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

One of his most spectacular orchestral scores with a most energetic and dazzling section in the last half of the CD. Amazing use of choir in cues like The Crystal Chamber, and spectacular action cues like The Leviathan and Just Do It. Hoping for more epic awesomeness like this in The Last Airbender! cool punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

One of his most spectacular orchestral scores with a most energetic and dazzling section in the last half of the CD. Amazing use of choir in cues like The Crystal Chamber, and spectacular action cues like The Leviathan and Just Do It. Hoping for more epic awesomeness like this in The Last Airbender! cool punk

Atlantis is one of those scores I dismissed as uninteresting and didn't play it for many years until Erik suggested a playlist, I'm glad to say I was wrong and it's a darn fine score and yes, the latter half is where it really kicks ass.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Erik Woods Film Music Mix Tape

I wish I could edit cues into consistent suites like this mixmaster cool

Tracklist (and not a dull moment in sight):

DISC 1
    Sphere - Goldenthal, Elliot
    Return to Neverland - McNeely, Joel
    Henry V - Doyle, Patrick
    Twister - Mancina, Mark
    Wild Rovers - Goldsmith, Jerry
    Ransom (End Credits) - Horner, James
    Paycheck - Powell, John
    Anastasia - Newman, David
    The Karate Kid Part I and II - Conti, Bill
    John Williams Suite

DISC 2
    Peter Pan - Howard, James Newton
    The Promise - Badelt, Klaus
    Valiant - Fenton, George
    Deep Rising - Goldsmith, Jerry
    Rococop - Poledouris, Basil
    Black Beauty - Elfman, Danny
    Batman Forever - Goldenthal, Elliot
    James Horner Suite

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

The music is great, and as a result the suites work brilliantly !!
    Only thing missing is equally well-put together covers to put in my jewel case. wink

Thanks a million Erik for your hard work and great contributions. I'm enjoying these so much right now.

Much appreciated !! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thank you for your kind comments and I'm glad you are enjoying the mix. I still have to create high res versions of EACH suite (all of those were edited using MP3's) and then create those covers. The covers are going to be fun because I'm going to try and make them look like a cassette cover. I actually have some blank cassette covers so I'm going to hand write the track names and times then scan them and create the CD art. Hopefully it looks good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010 edited
    Awesome ! Looking forward to it. smile

I intend to keep this, burn a limited 3000 copies of it, print the covers you provide, and getting a shitload of money from anyone willing to buy a copy. devil

Just kidding... tongue biggrin

This goes into my private collection of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Atlantis is one of those scores I dismissed as uninteresting and didn't play it for many years until Erik suggested a playlist, I'm glad to say I was wrong and it's a darn fine score and yes, the latter half is where it really kicks ass.

A lot of people say that, but I like the first half just as much as the second. But they're different, I'll say that much.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    NP : THE ROCKETEER - James Horner

cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010 edited
    NP:Rambo III (goldsmith)

The action writting and the heroic theme are not so good like in the previous installment (wich still is my favourite of the saga) but Rambo III it's bigger and much more thematically rich and devoloped.

"another time" is a gorgeous reprise of the First Blood theme (wich is one of the best themes from Jerry), and "ill stay" it's a one of thie amazing suites that it's perfect to close a trilogy.
  9. Timmer wrote

cool punk

Saw the film again yesterday after so long... The score made it very enjoyable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    NP: Total Recall - Jerry Goldsmith
    There must be something to like about this score, since almost everyone else seems to think so. Trying yet again. At least I found the theme this time!

Was Playing: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell
    Recording issues aside...this is an amazing, fabulous work that sums up everything I love about Powell. It's also quite possibly his most thematically diverse work. The only other Powell score I can think of that has this many themes and motifs is X3. There are at least 6 in this score. And they are ALL interesting and enjoyable. Brilliance.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool punk

Saw the film again yesterday after so long... The score made it very enjoyable!

Love the movie, love the score! A great experience all a around!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010 edited
    Scribe wrote
    There must be something to like about this score, since almost everyone else seems to think so. Trying yet again. At least I found the theme this time!

Rhythms. If you have the expanded edition may I suggest you try to listen to only the tracks that were on the extremely well produced original release.

1. The Dream (03:33)
    2. The Hologram (05:36)
    3. The Big Jump (04:33)
    4. The Mutant (03:16)
    5. Clever Girl (04:31)
    6. First Meeting (01:10)
    7. The Treatment (05:30)
    8. Where Am I? (03:56)
    9. End of a Dream (05:45)
    10. A New Life (02:23)

Scribe wrote
    Recording issues aside...this is an amazing, fabulous work that sums up everything I love about Powell. It's also quite possibly his most thematically diverse work. The only other Powell score I can think of that has this many themes and motifs is X3. There are at least 6 in this score. And they are ALL interesting and enjoyable. Brilliance.

Every time I think about this score I can only think about the awful recording which turns me off from revisiting this score. I don't know if I will ever spin it again no matter how well written it is. Such a shame.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Rhythms. If you have the expanded edition may I suggest you try to listen to only the track that were on the exteremly well produced original release.
    -Erik-

Fascinating...those are nearly exactly the tracks I have checked off as the ones I like the most...I might have warmed up to the score more quickly if I had gotten the original release...but I got the expanded because all the reviews raved about how amazing it was...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Every time I think about this score I can only think about the awful recording which turns me off from revisiting this score. I don't know if I will ever spin it again no matter how well written it is. Such a shame.

-Erik-

Sometimes I love that my ears are not as properly trained / educated as yours, guys!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Fascinating...those are nearly exactly the tracks I have checked off as the ones I like the most...I might have warmed up to the score more quickly if I had gotten the original release...but I got the expanded because all the reviews raved about how amazing it was...

Fascinating indeed! As for the expanded edition... I love it as well! But then again I'm a huge fan of the score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Sometimes I love that my ears are not as properly trained / educated as yours, guys!

The recording is like nails on a chalk board.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    shame
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Fascinating indeed! As for the expanded edition... I love it as well! But then again I'm a huge fan of the score!

-Erik-

Well, this is the first time - of the about 6 or 7 times I've listened to the score - that I can honestly say that I am enjoying it.

Finally!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

Well, this is the first time - of the about 6 or 7 times I've listened to the score - that I can honestly say that I am enjoying it.

Finally!

You know, I had to try hard too.

The first listenings this bussy and complex action gave me headache. Even the main theme is not used very much in the whole score so....

But How I said after a lot of years, after listening a lot of scores, I came back to Total Recall and I enjoyed this BIG and LOUD brass composition. What I like most is the "mood": a futuristic, apocalyptic, symphonic, techno score tongue

Anyway, if you want a heroic and melodic action score from Goldsmith, try with his kick ass score : Rambo : First Blood part II.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I liked Rambo: First Blood Part II the very first time I heard it...so I have not listened to it as much.

Don't ask why I spend more time trying to enjoy scores I don't like than enjoying scores I do like... cool
  10. Bad Boys - Mark Mancina

One of the best things Mancina ever wrote: fun comedic cues, original sound (back then it sure was, by now it's nostalgic), cool themes, and pulse pounding action (the main attraction). Give me this over any of the RC style action music of today, because this has actually melody and doesn't get on my nerves. I didn't get it at release, seeing I had a custom made version... But I figured that music that I enjoy ALWAYS warrants a purchase! punk