• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bad Boys - Mark Mancina
    Give me this over any of the RC style action music of today, because this has actually melody and doesn't get on my nerves.

Amen.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Except for Transformers, which I enjoy just as much.

Amen to that too? cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Indeed, Transformers (at least the first one) is a lot closer to the older Media Ventures sound than most of the stuff they have put out this decade. Yet it also has the updated, higher quality, more diverse library of synthetic effects, which they seem to use only to create noise on most other projects, here they are used to create actual music, and to thrilling effect. So it's pretty much the best of both worlds. cool
  2. ^

definitely amen to that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bad Boys - Mark Mancina
    Give me this over any of the RC style action music of today, because this has actually melody and doesn't get on my nerves.

Amen.

Give me TWISTER over it anyday.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Scribe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bad Boys - Mark Mancina

Amen.

Ditto. "Bad Boys: Main Title", "Escape From Club Hell - Ether Chase" and "Footchase" are among RC's good ol' times.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010 edited
    I feel that Twister is of equal excellence in a rather different style...different scores for different moods!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Green Zone - John Powell
    Now that I am done with Dragon I am going back to this...it's a lot more interesting the 2nd time around. If you like the Bourne scores or United 93, there is definitely something for you here, especially in the realm of percussion. I am convinced there is a theme / motif hiding in there too, but I probably won't find anything until listen 4 or 5...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Bad Boys - Mark Mancina

Amen.

Give me TWISTER over it anyday.

Yeap. Give me TWISTER (but it plays in another league I think) over bad Boys too. "main title/heist" from Bad boys is one of the best Media Ventures tracks ever, but the rest of the score is a little bit annoying.

The Rock and Armaggedon are still the KINGS of the media ventures years. Transformers is the KING of the Remote Control years , thought. tongue

NP:Cameroon Border Post from Tears of the Sun (Hans Zimmer)

Only Zimmer can compose this kind of music. punk punk punk tongue tongue

I speciallty love this kind of Total Recall percussion when Lebo M and Lisa G are screaming
  3. Scribe wrote
    I feel that Twister is of equal excellence in a rather different style...different scores for different moods!

AMEN TO THAT TOO !!!! beer

I like 'em both, the one doesn't impress me less than the other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Dracula ~ Wojciech Kilar

One of the most stunning and terrifying score openings! Dark and breathtaking!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. It definitely is a good one and it introduced me to the wonderful style of Wojciech. I wish he was still writing like that...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Dracula ~ Wojciech Kilar

One of the most stunning and terrifying score openings! Dark and breathtaking!

One of my all time favourite scores beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    The Rock and Armaggedon are still the KINGS of the media ventures years. Transformers is the KING of the Remote Control years , though. tongue

I couldn't agree more.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's not much to be proud of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: A Touch of Spice ~ Evanthia Reboutsika

You know my connection to this and why I like it! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nice score, but ... do you know my connection with her?

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Of course I do, some years now! And actually seeing your name and remembering your " connections" prompt me to play this score! biggrin wink
  5. Bregt wrote
    Nice score, but ... do you know my connection with her?

biggrin

She has her arm around your neck for a whole 3.698435 seconds.

shocked

At least on photo the connection is eternal. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Circa' for the National Museum of Australia - Christopher Gordon

Listening to it on his website: http://www.christophergordon.net/Circa.html

Short but very sweet. Great use of previous 'event music' themes.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    ^
    That guy is absolutely incredible.
  6. So I'm not listening to the album as a whole, but I listened to "Zam The Assasin and The Chase Through Coruscant" from John Williams' Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, and I have to say it's 11 minutes of some of the best "organized chaos" I've ever listened to. It's everything action music should be: exciting, unpredictable, and bordering on directionless.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    I would say exciting and directing towards a satisfying conclusion.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote

punk

Christopher Gordon is consistantly impressive to me. Everything he's done so far has always had a "wow" factor element to it. I very often return to his music. I never tire of listening to On The Beach, Moby Dick, Salem's Lot plus many others. Oh, and I love Mao's Last Dancer! Especially after seeing how well it worked within the film (loved seeing Gordon's cameo too)! The only thing I'm yet to perchase yet is Daybreakers. Something to look forward to soon I hope!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: ANGELS IN AMERICA - Thomas Newman

Fantastic. cool
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

punk

Christopher Gordon is consistantly impressive to me. Everything he's done so far has always had a "wow" factor element to it. I very often return to his music. I never tire of listening to On The Beach, Moby Dick, Salem's Lot plus many others. Oh, and I love Mao's Last Dancer! Especially after seeing how well it worked within the film (loved seeing Gordon's cameo too)! The only thing I'm yet to perchase yet is Daybreakers. Something to look forward to soon I hope!

As another Australian let me provide a hopefully more objective view and add that I honestly think Christopher Gordon is the most overrated composer of today considering the proportion of praise he regularly has bestowed upon him. Not that he isn't an outstanding composer at all, it's just that the way he's treated like the Second Coming is absolutely ridiculous. What's he put out there anyway that any one person's familiar with...................7 or 8 scores for God's sake??? Mao's Last Dancer has one beautiful theme but is mostly filled with cliched oriental music. Salem's Lot and Daybreakers both have good moments, even inspired ones but long, long stretches of boring suspense music. Neither is anything special. Moby Dick the same. I'd say On the Beach is far and away the best thing he's ever done. Some people seriously need to take the halo off this guy's head. When he's produced another 15 or 20 scores of this quality you might actually have a case that lives up to the reputation he has.

NP: Straw Dogs - Jerry Fielding
    Typically cold, dark and impenetrable on first listen, with the kind of complexity you expect from Fielding that becomes more obvious with repeated listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    L'inchiesta - Andrea Morricone

It is the first five tracks that are the absolute highlight and the rest of the score never reaches these heights again. Some suspense tracks and some variations of the aforementioned themes. If the rest of the score would be as good as the first five tracks it would be a five star CD but this way it's probably 3 and a half stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David, if only everybody else getting the big assignments out there today (esp. the younger hollywood composers) wrote at the levels of quality Gordon does. His music is flourishing with delightful themes, rich harmonies and imagination and he's one of the few who can actually write and compose music in the proper way. And how does it happen that you being Australian renders your opinion on Gordon more objective than others?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    So I'm not listening to the album as a whole, but I listened to "Zam The Assasin and The Chase Through Coruscant" from John Williams' Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, and I have to say it's 11 minutes of some of the best "organized chaos" I've ever listened to. It's everything action music should be: exciting, unpredictable, and bordering on directionless.

I was listening this specific track yesterday!

punk punk punk punk punk punk

I love every single second of it, even Tan Dun influenced percusion and Trevor Rabin Guitars!

Talking about that...

NP:Star Wars action tracks selection (John Williams)

The fighter attack
    Battle of Yavin

The battle of hoth
    Asteroid field
    Clash of lightsabers

Sail barge assault
    Lightsaber, the ewok battle
    battle of Endor 2

Duel of fates
    Panaka and the queens protector

Zam the assessin
    on the conveyor belt

Star wars and Revenge of the sith
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Christodoulides wrote
    David, if only everybody else getting the big assignments out there today (esp. the younger hollywood composers) wrote at the levels of quality Gordon does. His music is flourishing with delightful themes, rich harmonies and imagination and he's one of the few who can actually write and compose music in the proper way. And how does it happen that you being Australian renders your opinion on Gordon more objective than others?

What he said!

David, your comment "Christopher Gordon is the most overrated composer of today" will stir great controversy!