• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Scribe wrote
    I definitely like it just as much as Avatar. Not sure about more, they're such different concepts that it's difficult to compare. For emotional impact, definitely Karate Kid.

I had a hard time connecting to the writing style of Avatar at first, guess the fact I'm beginning to like it is because I'm getting used to it.

Karate Kid is written in pretty standard Horner mode with few surprises, which is probably why I like it even more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2010 edited
    NP:Miami Vice (Hammer)

Crocket's theme is really mindblowing. punk

what rythm is this? techno?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Last Airbender - JNH

Now this is the way it's meant to be heard: LOUD ON A GOOD AUDIO SYSTEM. This score oozes orchestral power out of its pores. I'm enjoying it infinitely more this way. One should never judge a score of this size by listening to it on an MP3 player where the real power just can't be experienced. I'm definitely going to order it now, because it really has some great exciting moments where before I completely missed the point of their purpose.

It's no Waterworld, but I can live with this monster which is in a whole other league. cool

Mate, everything should be heard this way; do yourself a favor and get right of in-ear plugs and crap, no matter how expensive and mobile / convenient they might be. Nothing can physically replace a good pair of speakers and amp.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Lust, Caution - Alexandre Desplat

How does Desplat compose those waltzes so effortlessly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Lust, Caution - Alexandre Desplat

And absolutely charming, and gorgeous at the same time. And yet some people suggest his music is cold and impersonal smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

And absolutely charming, and gorgeous at the same time. And yet some people suggest his music is cold and impersonal smile

I LOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's gorgeous. He too has the abiity to score average-to-bad movies beautifully.
  3. LUST CAUTION is one of his finest.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

It is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Lust, Caution is a prime example of what turns a lot of people off Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Seriously? Lust, caution is perhaps his best score to date. Have you even watched the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Seriously? Lust, caution is perhaps his best score to date.

Agree.
  4. Steven wrote
    I think Lust, Caution is a prime example of what turns a lot of people off Desplat.

As it epitomises what he does well, and some people seem not particularly taken with what he does so well, I'm inclined to agree.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

As it epitomises what he does well, and some people seem not particularly taken with what he does so well, I'm inclined to agree.

Yep, that's what I meant (D wink). I'm not a big fan of it myself, but I think it's a prototypical Desplat example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Last Airbender - JNH

Now this is the way it's meant to be heard: LOUD ON A GOOD AUDIO SYSTEM. This score oozes orchestral power out of its pores. I'm enjoying it infinitely more this way. One should never judge a score of this size by listening to it on an MP3 player where the real power just can't be experienced. I'm definitely going to order it now, because it really has some great exciting moments where before I completely missed the point of their purpose.

It's no Waterworld, but I can live with this monster which is in a whole other league. cool

Mate, everything should be heard this way; do yourself a favor and get right of in-ear plugs and crap, no matter how expensive and mobile / convenient they might be. Nothing can physically replace a good pair of speakers and amp.

Yeah, but you just said it: "mobile and convenient"... you can't carry your speaker system with you on your bike or when you go for a walk! dizzy

As much I agree that portable headphones or in-ear headphones* will never beat a proper speaker system, that doesn't mean I don't like to have my music with me when I'm outside, and a good pair of headphones are priceless for a music fan like me.

But this surely goes without saying? confused

*Of course open monitor headphones can provide you with a clarity that a much more expensive speaker set up can provide you... but they're not exactly portable or safe for outside use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    *Of course open monitor headphones can provide you with a clarity that a much more expensive speaker set up can provide you... but they're not exactly portable or safe for outside use.

Koss KSC75 headphones plus Total Airhead portable headphone amp = nice* audio quality for outside / public use for only $100ish. Doesn't quite compare to real headphones and a good desktop amp, but it's a whole heck of a lot better than regular in-ear headphones.

*the definition of "nice" in the above statement: sufficient quality so as not to be painful to the ears of an audiophile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Last Airbender - JNH

Yeah, but you just said it: "mobile and convenient"... you can't carry your speaker system with you on your bike or when you go for a walk! dizzy

As much I agree that portable headphones or in-ear headphones* will never beat a proper speaker system, that doesn't mean I don't like to have my music with me when I'm outside, and a good pair of headphones are priceless for a music fan like me.

But this surely goes without saying? confused

You've brought this argument numerous times and i agree with you smile What i am addressing to is the people who listen to their music 100% on portable means or laptop; that's just retarded.
  5. I listen to my music at work on earphones, but they can't shield the other music coming out of the radio, which is just your basic song-based station. It's not the best way to listen to film music I guess... rolleyes

But most of the time I do that because I don't feel the need to communicate so I put my music on, whatever is on my player. And I admit my current earphones are pretty crap. I had a good pair a while ago but they broke.

Anyway to get the most out of film music I need it loud, while being isolated from other people and sounds. Basically isolated from the world, in my own world.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. The Matrix Deluxe Edition - Don Davis

Is Don the brother of Elliot? Because this has all the atonal otherworldly texture-filled bombast of the master of the macabre. I seriously love this piece of work, which is just so non-thematic and hard on the ears (for most people), yet so incredibly powerful and totally original that I cannot help but be blown away by it. Always gets me in cyberpunk mode !!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DT, have you tried good plug-type earphones? You can get some fairly good sony ones for as low as 25 euros or so.
  7. plug type, the ones you put all the way in the ears to shield outside sound? Those were the ones that broke, from Sony. I'll have to get some new ones. I hear Sennheiser is a good brand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh it definitely is. Yeah, plug type offer far better isolation from the outside world and of course better frequency response at lower bands, i.e. bass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Cool Runnings (Zimmer and Smith)

I only heard this score once, because I always had the thought that it was a comple nick glennie-smith work.

Mancina's caribbean theme is more addictive cool

Zimmer 85 / Mancina 1
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Personally I think that if you're at work and are going to be listening to music for hours on end, it's better to get a high-end closed headset. That way you overcome the two major issues with earplug-type phones: listening fatigue and tiny soundstage. Earplug-type phones will inevitably become uncomfortable after a few hours...especially if you're doing it day after day. And because the phones are inside your ears, the music sounds like its coming from inside your head. Which is less than ideal.

A closed headset, on the other hand, overcomes both of these problems while still offering good isolation. I recommend something like one of the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Pro- … amp;sr=8-2

or for extra isolation at the sacrifice of a tighter soundstage:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-25-1-I … amp;sr=1-1

I own both of the above...the first I use at work and the second I use for treadmill because its the only thing isolated enough to block out the noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The localization that takes place inside of our head is the same for every kind of headphones. The virtual sound sources are placed right at the centre of our head with all headphones regardless of type. It's just the the plug-type, due to the way they sit and fix inside our ears, do tend to offer a tighter feeling overall. But still, the comfort of not wearing gigantic closed-type headphones in public spaces (which are the best indeed, beyer dynamic offers some incredible quality closed-type heardphones for as low as 200 euros or even less without paying ridiculously overpriced amounts of money for trendy ear pieces other companies sell) and the bass make them winners in my books although i use headphones in general extremely rarely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I posted and then saw your links......the first link is exactly what i am talking about. BD makes some outstanding quality headphones and are the choice of most professionals in studios and live, along with AKG and sennheiser.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

You've brought this argument numerous times and i agree with you smile What i am addressing to is the people who listen to their music 100% on portable means or laptop; that's just retarded.

Ah, okay. "no matter how expensive and mobile / convenient they might be" sounded like you were completely opposed to portable headphones!

As well as 5.1 speaker system in the lounge, I have a pair of Sennheisers as my home-use headphones. Really impressive, especially for the price. For portable use, I use these Klipsch headphones which are amazing for a pair of in-ear speakers. Very detailed, and the bass sounds so much better than any other in-ear headphones I've tried.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Those are nice too, so i've heard! SH and BD makes outstanding earphones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    As well as 5.1 speaker system in the lounge, I have a pair of Sennheisers as my home-use headphones. Really impressive, especially for the price. For portable use, I use these Klipsch headphones which are amazing for a pair of in-ear speakers. Very detailed, and the bass sounds so much better than any other in-ear headphones I've tried.

I really want those Sennheisers for home use but considering that I have already spent something like $1500 in the last year on headphones and amps for various situations, I can't really afford them tongue

But those Klipsch's, I'm guessing you use those for physical activities, do you find that there's a lot of cable noise when you're moving around? Every in-ear phone I've tried has that problem and I find it extremely distracting. If not for that I would be more likely to use in-ear phones for physical activity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Miami Vice (Hammer)

Crocket's theme is really mindblowing. punk

Brilliant theme indeed! punk Once one gets over the cheesy 80s sound, the theme is a real stunner.

I also love Hammer's Forever tonight theme.

Nautilus wrote
    what rythm is this? techno?

Wouldn't call it techno. I'd call it instrumental pop.

Peter smile