• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    When the lights dim, these people become the saddest existences on earth and die alone in a corner. Very sad.

A truth to what you say D, it must be very difficult going from a global superstar to a 'yesterday' person.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As far as that's concerned she's got no one to blame but herself (and that abusive fuckwit of an ex-husband of hers)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some people can handle it, the likes of Rick Astley and Shakin Stevens seem quite happy to have gone back to obscurity ( both were huge stars in the 80's, admittedly nowhere near the global stardom of Houston but still very huge stars ) and others like Houston and Amy Winehouse head for self destruction.

A bad analogy but you know what I mean.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    As far as that's concerned she's got no one to blame but herself (and that abusive fuckwit of an ex-husband of hers)

I firmly believe that alcohol and drug abuse is a disease. If she had gotten on a road to recovery the rest of her life would have likely taken care of itself including her ex. Drugs and alcohol don't care who you are. A disease that is brushed under the carpet because of the shame attached to it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The thing is... Bobby Brown was her drug. She was so infatuated with that man that no matter how many times she was abusing by him she still came crawling back. This is NOT an isolated incident. This happens all the time.! Some people just can get over it and feel that they can't do any better if they do.

It was inevitable that it was going to end this way.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik speaketh the truth, sadly. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    The thing is... Bobby Brown was her drug. She was so infatuated with that man that no matter how many times she was abusing by him she still came crawling back. This is NOT an isolated incident. This happens all the time.! Some people just can get over it and feel that they can't do any better if they do.

It was inevitable that it was going to end this way.

-Erik-

Indirectly not true Erik. Take away the drugs and put her on the road to recovery and she would have left him. I've seen it happen as there is a major personality change in the person. It ended the way it did because of the drugs. On that point you're correct. Our government has failed miserably in this area and in some ways permits it to happen with alcohol and pills.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wish it were that simple, Tom.
    But there's a reason they speak of addictive PERSONALITIES and toxic RELATIONSHIPS.

If you can't get yourself sorted out, there's no way in HELL any recovery program will have a lasting effect.
    Sadly this is what we've seen the world over, time and again.
    Whatever the initial approach, if you don't come to grips with your own, personal weaknesses and demons, all the rest is just fighting the symptoms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited
    Tom - she went to rehab but always returned to Bobby because she was addicted to him and everything that came with him. He was a terrible influence on her life and unfortunately she wasnt strong enough to break free. That's a form of addiction as well Tom and I've seen it first hand. There's so much more to this then simple drug use.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Wish it were that simple, Tom.
    But there's a reason they speak of addictive PERSONALITIES and toxic RELATIONSHIPS.

If you can't get yourself sorted out, there's no way in HELL any recovery program will have a lasting effect.
    Sadly this is what we've seen the world over, time and again.
    Whatever the initial approach, if you don't come to grips with your own, personal weaknesses and demons, all the rest is just fighting the symptoms.

There are three parts to a recovery program physical, mental, and spiritual. If you just do the detox (physical) part and not the other two relapse is almost guaranteed. One of the major components is that not using any chemical substance the #1 priority over and above anything else. If you're not sober the rest will fall apart around you. She needed to change everything in her life which she was not willing to do so failure is guaranteed. She was not willing to take direction.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tom - she went to rehab but always returned to Bobby because she was addicted to him and everything that came with him. He was a terrible influence on her life and unfortunately she wasnt strong enough to break free. That's a form of addiction as well Tom and I've seen it first hand. There's so much more to this then simple drug use.

-Erik-

The program for recovery is very simple. The human being makes it very difficult because of the complexity of the brain. Follow the 12 steps without reservation and you can't fail.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Easier said then done, Tom.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Easier said then done, Tom.

-Erik-

You're 100% correct. The rate of success is 20% or less.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited
    So I'm confused by the following statement you made.

sdtom wrote
    Follow the 12 steps without reservation and you can't fail.

If the system can't fail then why does it?

confused

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    People still want to do it there way which is guaranteed failure.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    Very sad to hear of the death of singer Davy Jones of THE MONKEES sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2012
    Very sad! He sang so many iconic songs!
  1. Such a shame about Davy Jones. He was a contributor on a TV show at the weekend on so-called "boy bands" and he was as chirpy as ever.

Apparently, Jones and one of Anne's older brothers used to play in the street together when they were young and living in Manchester.

When I was growing up I used to have The Monkees albums but did not have any Beatles LPs and so I have always had a preference for the (first?) manufactured band.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012
    I'm very saddened ( as I know a few others here will be ) to hear of the passing of Ralph McQuarrie sad

http://www.starwars.com/news/ralph_mcqu … bered.html
  2. Yeah, I was saddened to read of his death. Being an avid Star Wars fan his work was familiar to me; particularly on stickers I used to buy for sticker albums.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh gosh.sad
    Wat a sad, sad loss. The man truly was a visionary in graphic design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012 edited
    Can't say that I am 'very saddened', as my connection to him and his work is a bit distant, but I am aware of who he was, and I had a friend in my teenage years who had plastered his room with STAR WARS artwork by McQuarrie.

I also have the Arista box set, which includes some of his wonderful stuff.

Sorry to hear him go.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Can't say that I am 'very saddened', as my connection to him and his work is a bit distant

Brute! angry
    You must feel exactly as *I* feel!
    Or I will defriend you on Facebook!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited
    Philip Madoc has died after a short illness:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17255287

It's funny what you remember an actor for: two things. Firstly as the German U-boat commander in Dad's Army and secondly, as a lighthouse keeper on an old Dr. Who story "The Brain of Morbius" (I think).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V3SqxUomwk
  3. I am getting my Morbius mixed up with my Fang Rock. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    At the ripe old age of 86 Robert Sherman, one of the most prolific composers for Silver Age Disney films has passed away.

Sherman' lasting legacy will probably the more-or-less Disney anthem 'It's a small world', but I'd like to commemorate and remember him for his work on my all time favourite Disney feature film soundtrack Jungle Book.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    Jungle Book is fantastic! punk
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    Here's two shamelessly sentimental songs that I absolutely love....

Hushabye Mountain

Feed The Birds

sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    And to leave this on a more up note here's...

Everybody Wants To Be A Cat

( Martijn, of course, has already chosen my favourite cool )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2012
    Shitshitshitshitshitshit! slant

One of my all time favourite artists, a truly awesome talent...

Jean Giraud sad

Damn but Martijn was only mentioning his work just a few days ago.