• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I think I'd have an orgasm too whenever I opened it. punk

I know some chicks who are in great need of this.

...and you're not obliging? uhm

I am a faithful dog.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Your restraint is admirable. cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not to mention an engaged dog.
  1. David OC wrote

The Karate Kid - James Horner
    Flowing with rich and fresh thematic material - and yet mostly with surprising subtlety too. One of the year's best releases, no doubt.

You know, surprisingly, I've been told Atli Orvarrson's rejected score is not only "very good", but "better" than Horner's score. I guess I'm kind of in deniel here, since I've not heard a lick, but I just can't believe that...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I forgot he was ever attached to that film. How odd. I can believe it, considering that Karate Kid was obviously rushed and Horner still had his Avatar theme in his head when writing it...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Not to mention an engaged dog.

Really!?? shocked I totally missed this....or is this the first time you've mentioned it?

To you and yours D, congratulations man. kiss cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    First time i mention it my friend. Thank you so much, means a lot coming from you. All's great smile beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hope you'll be asking for advice ( not that you really need it wink ) from us on what choices of music will be used? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Will be used...where? and when? in which instance?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2010 edited
    Do you not have music for entrance of bride & groom etc? I don't know what Greek weddings are like even though I got invited to one a few years ago ( unfortunately it coincided with my holiday in France ) here in Bristol, I'm sure I mentioned that I went to their engagement party to you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, no marriage yet. Just an engagement, with the rings and all, a small family party. The wedding is for muuuuuuchhhhhhhhh later. No plans yet. Wedding plans are similar in Greece too, with the expection of some greek traditional n popular music in the intro and stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    't Is done?
    fireworks beer fireworks

Congratulations to you D., and your beautiful lady.
    Makes my day, this news. cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, you were the one who knew it ahead smile Thanks my friend beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, no marriage yet. Just an engagement, with the rings and all, a small family party. The wedding is for muuuuuuchhhhhhhhh later. No plans yet. Wedding plans are similar in Greece too, with the expection of some greek traditional n popular music in the intro and stuff.

I love a good wedding. cry ....pass me a handkerchief please
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i'll invite you when that happens wink Biggest mt gathering!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh man, that THAT, would be FANTABULOUS!!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIE ANOTHER DAY - David Arnold

It's not great but it's certainly not bad either ( apart from Madonna's song which should be incinerated from human conciousness ), I'm enjoying it.
  2. D, can I recommend the love theme from SHOGUN for your nuptials? Not one of Jarre's best, but underheard these days. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Christodoulides wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Moon - Clint Mansell

There are really only two cues worth repeat listening, "Memories" and "The Nursery" both dealing with a soft simple piano theme. The rest (the thriller, suspense, rock) underscore does not invite much interest otherwise.

If you've seen the movie though, it worked wonders in it and that's what matters.

I never saw the movie, but I enjoy the entire score for the atmosphere that it creates. Listening to it at night is the most interesting. I'm not surprised it fits the movie really well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    I also have the radio dramas which are top notch!

-Erik-

I've been listening to these this past week.
    I loved Empire when they broadcast it in the early 80s.
    So good to hear again! cool
  3. NP: The Golden Bowl (Richard Robbins)

Not the best of the Merchant Ivory scores, but still worth hearing, and - yes - there's more musicianship in it than a lot of what passes for film music in the big films at the moment.
  4. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Golden Bowl (Richard Robbins)

Not the best of the Merchant Ivory scores, but still worth hearing, and - yes - there's more musicianship in it than a lot of what passes for film music in the big films at the moment.

Ah, actually, it's a bit boring.

NP: The Good Shepherd (Marcelo Zarvos's selections, plus the Arvo Part piece)

Some good stuff here... Although 'Day of the locusts' definitely sounds like a particular cue from SYRIANA was the temp track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Yes that's what Doyle did. I've read people (who are film music fans) say they can't help laughing when watching films with Doyle scores because his use of music makes the films feel so pretentious. And, while I don't mind that in the right film, it doesn't quite work in Harry Potter.

I'll flat out disagree with that. I think what Doyle did for Potter was nothing short of spectacular. More of my thoughts about the score HERE!

In fact Harry Potter is one of the few Doyle-scored films I can think of (that I've seen, obviously) which I didn't think was badly-scored. Saying nothing about the albums (though it's one of my favourite Doyle albums, too), just the use of music in the films.
  5. If Doyle is a 'suite-applier' in many cases, that does make sense, as his music follows formal patterns a bit more neatly than a lot of film scoring. I find it doesn't hurt the film too often for me... but it does explain a few overly-sentimental cues along the way.
    Where I do struggle with Doyle's sound a bit is that sugary violin sweetness he loves to put on every sad scene, or the high brass...

Good Doyle scores for me - DONNIE BRASCOE, HAMLET, HENRY V, MUCH ADO..., and GOBLET is pretty good actually (less so in the action, but the use of the Potter march when Cedric dies is a nice bit of source music spotting).
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: The Brotherhood of The Bell - Jerry Goldsmith

Sometimes I like to listen to something "challenging" - and early 1970s Goldsmith can certainly be that. Intrada had this to say about it:

"The Brotherhood of the Bell was composed during one of the most fascinating creative periods of Jerry Goldsmith’s career—perhaps the height of his modernistic and experimental impulses. Goldsmith’s score makes heavy use of the jazz idiom, with a plucked double bass line propelling many of its passages. But he combines this with classical baroque stylings to conjure up multiple associations: religion and ritual, antiquity, class and sophistication, frustration and fear. Goldsmith uses what sounds like rapped knuckles, fingernails and drumsticks on a cymbal to evoke the Bell itself, while his astringent, clustered writing for strings, full of dizzying portamenti and rattling aleatoric effects both bowed and plucked, suggest the diabolical power of the Brotherhood and Patterson’s fury and frustration as his life is unraveled."

Scary jazz! I should have been listening to this a few nights ago!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

I thought I'd give the Silva re-recording a workout, it lacks the 'thump' of the original but it's still a good effort and it does have a few extra tracks plus a suite from Mary, Queen of Scots, not a patch on the original but fantastic music is fantastic music.

This is also the only CD I've ever won in a competition on t'internet cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    D, can I recommend the love theme from SHOGUN for your nuptials? Not one of Jarre's best, but underheard these days. wink

I know you think i am probably kidding but i will check it out, i always do when you recommend stuff smile
  6. Conan the Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

Thought I'd listen to this, since it has been many years, I'm not proud of that fact. Now the complete release is out, I see why everyone is going crazy over it. This is incredible stuff, rousing & thematic & memorable. punk

By Crom, this score alone should make every film music fan a Poledouris follower for life. I now appreciate it more than I ever have... beer cool

But to go out and buy the new release? I don't know, seems I have enough brilliance right here.

But does the new release sound much better?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    D, can I recommend the love theme from SHOGUN for your nuptials? Not one of Jarre's best, but underheard these days. wink

I know you think i am probably kidding but i will check it out, i always do when you recommend stuff smile

Ah, but I was kidding!
    It's not bad though. wink
  8. Brainstorm - James Horner

Always a joy to return to the classics of the 80s. punk

Michael's Gift to Karen + Race For Time, two of Horner's best constructed cues of all time. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.