• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I don't have it with me here in Harrogate to listen to again. Will take another listen when I get home later in the week. Assuming Conan The Barbarian hasn't arrived by then.

NP: The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 - David Shire
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. BTW, from listening earlier. Isn't Panu Aaltio's The Home of Dark Butterflies one of the loveliest scores around?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BTW, from listening earlier. Isn't Panu Aaltio's The Home of Dark Butterflies one of the loveliest scores around?
    i honestly don't think it's exaggeration to suggest that is one of the most charming scopes of the decade. Another one would be a man and his dog or a single man for instance.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010
    NP : THE FURY - John Williams

I thought I'd give the actual film score tracks a workout tonight, there's some gorgeous material here.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Giant Robo - Masamichi Amano

Fabulous thematic action scoring by Amano who is fast becoming one of my favorite composers.
    I'm glad I was able to purchase both 1 & 2 of Giant Robo. The others are hard to get.

I still love his awesome score for Super Atragon.
  3. We Were Soldiers - Nick Glennie-Smith

A lot to like here, a highly emotional score for a strong war flick. Somehow I wish I knew more about this guy's work. I'm only familiar with his contribution for The Rock and his solo-composition The Man in the Iron Mask, which I didn't really like (too much cheese). We Were Soldiers is definitely not cheesy IMHO, of course people not into the whole MV / RC sound might say otherwise. I just happen to like that sound. Of course it's no Saving Private Ryan, but it does the job.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    We Were Soldiers - Nick Glennie-Smith

A lot to like here, a highly emotional score for a strong war flick. Somehow I wish I knew more about this guy's work. I'm only familiar with his contribution for The Rock and his solo-composition The Man in the Iron Mask, which I didn't really like (too much cheese). We Were Soldiers is definitely not cheesy IMHO, of course people not into the whole MV / RC sound might say otherwise. I just happen to like that sound. Of course it's no Saving Private Ryan, but it does the job.

Absolutely love this, mesmerizing and beautiful. I also loved his THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK score, especially back when it was released i was blown away by it. WE WERE SOLDIERS is the perfect homage to THE THIN RED LINE, imo smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    Just finished Goldsmith's superb The Explorers and have now moved onto Dave Grusin's cult classic The Goonies. I'm exploring my childhood favorites today!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    quirky ? Hmm...

I think that the film was completely exposed as carefully contrived situations probably turned me off to the whole thing.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Unforgiven yet another memorable theme from Tiomkin
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Last Starfighter - Craig Safan

Bliss!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2010 edited
    NP: 8 1/2 - Nino Rota
    Brilliant stuff, and incredibly fitting for the film (in a non-logical way, somehow - how he felt that this writing style would be appropriate is amazing) and very infectious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Karate Kid Part II - Bill Conti

Fantastic!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

This is the original LP program with alternate cues and concert arrangements. One of the finest film music albums you will ever hear!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

This is the original LP program with alternate cues and concert arrangements. One of the finest film music albums you will ever hear!

-Erik-

ABSOLUTELY! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010 edited
    Civilization V - Michael Curran & Geoff Knorr

Another amazing orchestral videogame soundtrack, this time for the PC strategy title Civilization V. Having never played one, I can only suspect how one must feel while playing when listening to a soundtrack of this quality. Mesmerizing is one way to put it. Every two tracks are based on the country (faction) it accompanies in the game with the appropriate style for that country. There's one calm, soothing cue and the second is for the battle, more agressive. The soundtrack is another overlong 2-disc affair, but I suggest you listen to these factions to hear the best music: France, Germany, Arabia, England, Greece and Persia. And who will spot the classical inclusions like Beethoven's Ode to Joy and Holst's The Planets? Sometimes subtle, sometimes not, but a joy to listen to nevertheless.

One of my favourite pieces for Arabia, including the ethnic instrumentation. Not uploaded by me.

And the battle cue for England. Fantastic !!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010 edited
    Skyline - Matthew Margeson (2010)

If Brian Tyler on uninspired composed this, you wouldn't tell the difference. For its largest duration it has exactly the same chord processions and the same rhythmic percussive ostinati like Tyler's similar action scores.
  4. Rich in Love - Georges Delerue

Just wonderful, beautiful, calming music. I love all the instrumental solos. Right now I'm listening to one of the guitar tracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    NP : CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder

My favourite Moroder score plus it's got a corking song from Moroder/David Bowie cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Skyline - Matthew Margeson (2010)

If Brian Tyler on uninspired composed this, you wouldn't tell the difference. For its largest duration it has exactly the same chord processions and the same rhythmic percussive ostinati like Tyler's similar action scores.

Matthew who???

The film looks uninspired too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's a Brian Tyler protege from what i know.
  5. I quite like uninspired Tyler so there is much of it I enjoy.wink

Though I'm not so keen on the sound effects-like stuff that's contained in some of the tracks.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    He's a Brian Tyler protege from what i know.

Formerly or still in RC
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's a lot of noise, sfx and such messy stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder

My favourite Moroder score plus it's got a corking song from Moroder/David Bowie cool

I'm in an 'electric' mood so I'm going for this classic next, as electronic scores go I really don't think they come any better.

NP : BLADERUNNER - Vangelis

Bliss cool
  7. Megamind

just plain average
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Give my above listen a try, just a tad above plain average I should think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Meh, i listened too. Instantly forgettable stuff, it's not bad for sure but it doesn't have anything to say either, at least not to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Epic Themes 2 - various RCP minions

Really fun! Mostly trailer-music-ish but a some tracks have a bit more restraint than the Immediate and TSFH stuff.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    Meh, i listened too. Instantly forgettable stuff, it's not bad for sure but it doesn't have anything to say either, at least not to me.

it's not bad, but nothing we heard before, and then I check several review sites and the bloody things gets amazing ratings, just odd
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh