• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Meh, i listened too. Instantly forgettable stuff, it's not bad for sure but it doesn't have anything to say either, at least not to me.

You're kidding right? That's Civilization V we're talking about? confused shocked

But I agree half of the soundtrack is very forgettable. Focus on the music for the 6 factions I mentioned. I happen to think they're stunning in their diversity. The one featuring the obvious rip from 'Jupiter' from The Planets should not leave you cold.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Meh, i listened too. Instantly forgettable stuff, it's not bad for sure but it doesn't have anything to say either, at least not to me.

it's not bad, but nothing we heard before, and then I check several review sites and the bloody things gets amazing ratings, just odd

Like I said above... rolleyes

I don't get you guys, in this day and age of mediocrity this sounds like a breath of fresh air.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You're kidding right? That's Civilization V we're talking about? confused shocked

But I agree half of the soundtrack is very forgettable. Focus on the music for the 6 factions I mentioned. I happen to think they're stunning in their diversity. The one featuring the obvious rip from 'Jupiter' from The Planets should not leave you cold.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

it's not bad, but nothing we heard before, and then I check several review sites and the bloody things gets amazing ratings, just odd

Like I said above... rolleyes

I don't get you guys, in this day and age of mediocrity this sounds like a breath of fresh air.

We're talking about Megamind dude, of Hans Zimmer wink

from what I heard, Civilization knocks that one out of the ballpark smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010
    Megamind.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Phew... I was worried. But seriously listen to Civ V, it's worth it, believe me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. The New World - James Horner

Selected tracks as the complete album is way too long, even for a fan like myself. But it remains a stunningly beautiful score! The sort of soft and slow-moving beauty that Horner on a good day can deliver without too much effort. And the song is beautifully sung! So in short a work of pure and inspired beauty.

Ah life is beautiful !!! love

Enough with the beauty buddy. Get back to earth! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010
    It's not too long for a fan like myself!! biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's one of the most relaxing soundtrack experiences, lovely score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote

It's one of the very few 70-minute or more soundtracks that I think is perfect at that length. Wonderful album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Anno 1404 - Tilman Sillescu
    Why am I listening to a 114 track game score??
    Because I can!
    Also because it's mostly quite pleasant.
  5. Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote

It's one of the very few 70-minute or more soundtracks that I think is perfect at that length. Wonderful album!

Strangely enough I love most 70+ minute Horner albums, but this one is too freaking long. Then again, it has been too long since I've heard it completely, I may change my mind on this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2010 edited
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Anno 1404 - Tilman Sillescu
    Why am I listening to a 114 track game score??
    Because I can!
    Also because it's mostly quite pleasant.

114 tracks? shocked

Let me guess, one title theme, one main theme, an ending theme, a couple of battle themes, some town themes, some travelling themes, some character themes, some dungeon themes, some atmosphere music, and all the rest pure filler cues.

Is that about right? tongue

How long may I ask is that game score?
  6. Exodus - Wojciech Kilar

Tim said it would blow my mind.

IT DOES !!!!!! punk punk punk

This is the Kilar from Dracula that I love. cheesy

Apparently I'm listinging to this version with Antoni Wit conducting.

Oh and before I forget...

OMFG IT BLOWZ MY MIND !!!!!! punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Exodus - Wojciech Kilar

Tim said it would blow my mind.

IT DOES !!!!!! punk punk punk

This is the Kilar from Dracula that I love. cheesy

Apparently I'm listinging to this version with Antoni Wit conducting.

Oh and before I forget...

OMFG IT BLOWZ MY MIND !!!!!! punk punk punk

cool beer

And yeah, same version I have.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I posted in the wrong topic. But it should be picked up by more people here. So all is well. smile

Krzesany and Angelus are both more pure classical in sound, not as instantly accessible as Exodus, but I will have my father have a listen, should be something he will appreciate, as he's into a lot of heavy stuff, the stuff that makes my ears bleed.

And I downloaded it to have a listen, so now I must make a purchase. I owe it to Wojciech !!!!

Thanks for your recommendation Tim, I would've missed it for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    114 tracks? shocked

Let me guess, one title theme, one main theme, an ending theme, a couple of battle themes, some town themes, some travelling themes, some character themes, some dungeon themes, some atmosphere music, and all the rest pure filler cues.

Actually I don't know whether that's right because, unlike most game scores, this one actually bothers to come up with creative track titles - yes really, a hundred unique and reasonably interesting track titles, so you can't tell by the title what the track is for. But none of them are filler in the boring, drone-y sense. Even the more atmospheric tracks have cool ethnic instruments.

The length of the score is 3 hours and 37 minutes. However I will sooner or later be picking my favorite tracks, which will probably result in about 60 to 90 minutes - I will let you know when I do that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're welcome Gilles smile

The good thing about NAXOS releases is that they are very affordable, around £5 here in UK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Human Target - Bear McCreary

First listen. I know nothing of the show and haven't heard a lick of music but holy smokes that main title is phenomenal. I'm sorry, why was McCreary dropped from the show? Yes, I've read his blog post but it still doesn't make any Goddamn sense. It's like getting rid of Giacchino after the first season of Lost. Apparently the tone of the season 2 score by Tim Jones is less orchestral AWESOMENESS and more derivative less awesomeness.

EDIT - Good lord! shocked I'm only 4 tracks into this MASSIVE 3CD set but so far this is some of the best music I've heard this year! McCreary proving yet again why he is one of the most talented up and coming composers in the biz. Give the man a big film to score!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It slows down a bit in the middle of the first disc but by the time you get to Flipping The Plane it's pure awesomeness again.

And check out the phenomenal packaging and cover art!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh... I'm championing Jim Titus' work on my next few shows; one for his BRILLIANT art on the Sunset Boulevard release... which is beautiful... and of course Human Target. He has raised the CD Art Direction bar at La La Land for sure. I hope that they never bring back David C. Fein. I've seen home made bootleg covers look better then his work. Have you seen La La Land's release of Dutch. FRONT and BACK.

vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KOYAANISQATSI - Philip Glass

Fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

First listen. I know nothing of the show and haven't heard a lick of music but holy smokes that main title is phenomenal. I'm sorry, why was McCreary dropped from the show? Yes, I've read his blog post but it still doesn't make any Goddamn sense. It's like getting rid of Giacchino after the first season of Lost. Apparently the tone of the season 2 score by Tim Jones is less orchestral AWESOMENESS and more derivative less awesomeness.

EDIT - Good lord! shocked I'm only 4 tracks into this MASSIVE 3CD set but so far this is some of the best music I've heard this year! McCreary proving yet again why he is one of the most talented up and coming composers in the biz. Give the man a big film to score!!!

-Erik-

It's fantastic music, but I watched the entire season and it was as if McCreary was scoring something completely different. The music was absolutely 100% wrong for the show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Gathering of Eagles - Jerry Goldsmith

I was somewhat nonplussed by this when I first listened to it and have left it a few weeks. Just started my second listen and it seems much more impressive (though Goldsmith definitely hadn't fully found his own voice yet).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    It's fantastic music, but I watched the entire season and it was as if McCreary was scoring something completely different. The music was absolutely 100% wrong for the show.

Hummm... I'll have to check it out because as a stand alone listen it's great!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP: Skyline - Matthew Margeson

Very first listen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. Timmer wrote
    You're welcome Gilles smile

The good thing about NAXOS releases is that they are very affordable, around £5 here in UK.

Yes I noticed that. At that price they're practically giving them away.
  9. Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

A couple weeks ago I listened to the samples and was quite surprised -- it was not at all what I thought I would hear, based on the handful of BStar cues I heard. Very refershing.

I can only assume oen of two reasons for him being dropped:

1. Too much time to compose or wanting too many musicians (equally more money).

2. Ron Jones-like reasons.

Of course, it could also be the replacement composer simply will work for less.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought it was related to the budget (as McCreary pointed out every week on his blog, this music was performed by the BIGGEST ORCHESTRA EVER ASSEMBLED or something like that).
  10. Scribe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    114 tracks? shocked

Actually I don't know whether that's right because, unlike most game scores, this one actually bothers to come up with creative track titles - yes really, a hundred unique and reasonably interesting track titles, so you can't tell by the title what the track is for. But none of them are filler in the boring, drone-y sense. Even the more atmospheric tracks have cool ethnic instruments.

The length of the score is 3 hours and 37 minutes. However I will sooner or later be picking my favorite tracks, which will probably result in about 60 to 90 minutes - I will let you know when I do that.

That's fine Matt. Isn't it strange to have this much music and still wanting to shorten it to 60-ish minutes. Are we becoming like a certain member?

Or does it say something about the music's quality in general?

I'm listening myself to a 4 hour game score myself, Tactics Ogre, it's all nice and melodic and stuff, but the overbearing muchness (?) is hard to stomach. And after a while I feel the urge to uncontrollably skip tracks. Goldsmith really knew what he was talking about. 30-45 mins can provide infinitely more enjoyment. Less is more, so to speak!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hitman 4: Blood Money - Jesper Kyd

Dark, driving, nigh-hypnotic melodies and goa/trance like rhythms and Slavic-ish choirs of doom.
    Just what I'm in the mood for.
    Excelent stuff. I really like Kyd's work on games.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hunters are for Killing - Jerry Fielding

Exceptionally cool 70s funk.