• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    It definitely is. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I recently noticed, some of Rescuing The Princess from William Ross' Tale Of Despereaux sounds very similar to Joel Mcneely's Seven Footer Chase from Virus.

There's quite a bit of temp track love in Despereaux.

-Erik-

Temp track love in a William Ross score? Surely not!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    I recently noticed, some of Rescuing The Princess from William Ross' Tale Of Despereaux sounds very similar to Joel Mcneely's Seven Footer Chase from Virus.

There's quite a bit of temp track love in Despereaux.

-Erik-

Temp track love in a William Ross score? Surely not!

I know... how is that even possible?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010
    The Edge vs Time Machine

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Wow. They're even more different than I remembered.

Why can't we have two different chocolate chip cookie recipes without people complaining that one is a rip-off of the other just because it's also chocolate chip? Chocolate chip cookies are good. Why can't we just be thankful that we have more than version to enjoy?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think Badelt did a pretty good job of replicating the feel of the theme, but without making it a direct rip. I think that's pretty cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    I think Badelt did a pretty good job of replicating the feel of the theme, but without making it a direct rip. I think that's pretty cool.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Wow. They're even more different than I remembered.

Why can't we have two different chocolate chip cookie recipes without people complaining that one is a rip-off of the other just because it's also chocolate chip? Chocolate chip cookies are good. Why can't we just be thankful that we have more than version to enjoy?

Gotta agree here. I don't hear anything similar except that both have a bold brass line on top of a broad symphonic pallette, and that strings at some point take over. Which goes for about a gazillion other themes throughout music history.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited
    I think the most directly copied thing is the string ostinato underneath the brass during the first statement of the theme. And the way the brass sections are orchestrated nearly identically during said statement. I guess some people hear more of the "color" of the sound when listening to music, which in this case is quite identical, while others focus more on the actual notes, which are quite different here. I'm in the latter camp, but that's not to say I'm right, I'm just focusing on a different aspect of the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    He might have changed the notes but the structure of both pieces are pretty much identical. Badelt's theme reminds me of production music. You know, where production music composers who use the rhythm and feel of Mission: Impossible but change one note here and one note there so they don't get sued. That's what Badelt did here. Sure it's enjoyable but I'd rather have something a bit more unique or at least something that doesn't feel or sound like it comes from another score.

As for chocolate chip cookies... I don't agree with the analogy. Film music should give a film a distinctive feel, tone and/or mood. For instance, as much as I love The Imperial March I don't want to hear into or any variation of it in any other movie franchise other than Star Wars.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    He might have changed the notes but the structure of both pieces are pretty much identical. Badelt's theme reminds me of production music. You know, where production music composers who use the rhythm and feel of Mission: Impossible but change one note here and one note there so they don't get sued. That's what Badelt did here. Sure it's enjoyable but I'd rather have something a bit more unique or at least something that doesn't feel or sound like it comes from another score.

I'm assuming that this analogy would be applicable only when one composer was to do this to another composer's theme right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Film music should give a film a distinctive feel, tone and/or mood. For instance, as much as I love The Imperial March I don't want to hear into or any variation of it in any other movie franchise other than Star Wars.

-Erik-

Just a bit beside the point, The Imperial March did have 30 years of replay to reinforce that distinctive feel, tone and/or mood. Or else the layman might have confused it with something from North's Spartacus. Not implying anything though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Time machine is a very good score imo, regardless of influences (who doesn't have them anyway?). I think it's the whole Klaus Badelt thingy that made some a bit bitter. I have the impression that his work is generally underrated, especially that and The promise for instance. Only after Rescue Dawn and now with the smaller, independent and completely RC-free works of his of late, is beginning to get some recognition from the not-convinced. He's a talented artist...i hope time will help people who have a bit of a close-vision about him, forget his RC background and past. He is really, far away from that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I didn't upload the example to bash the man. I think he has creative chops too but I just wanted to post the comparison to spark a conversation, read what people had to say and throw in my two cents as well. If John Williams did the same thing I would have pointed it out... OH, WAIT! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    I didn't upload the example to bash the man. I think he has creative chops too but I just wanted to post the comparison to spark a conversation, read what people had to say and throw in my two cents as well. If John Williams did the same thing I would have pointed it out... OH, WAIT! wink

-Erik-

You must have been joking about the Fitzwilly/Sabrina comparison, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ You seriously don't hear the EXACT same melody. Remember... I start this thread to "compare two and sometimes three pieces of music from difference scores to hear their similarities in orchestration or melody OR both."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No way would I call that a "shameless" rip, especially if I have to rack my brains to try and hear exactly what is being ripped!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    THE MELODY

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ You seriously don't hear the EXACT same melody. Remember... I start this thread to "compare two and sometimes three pieces of music from difference scores to hear their similarities in orchestration or melody OR both."

-Erik-

I haven't been following this thread. So I'm assuming that you're talking about the string melody vs the wind melody. Not the same melody.

From wiktionary
    melody (plural melodies)

1. tune; sequence of notes that makes up a musical phrase

Different notes with a similar progression (how the notes rises and fall) and the follow through is way distinct, thus is a different melody as a result. So even though they do share certain similarities, it's not the same melody.

IMO, something like your comparison of Michael Kamen's OMNMA vs. BOB is a more apt comparo.

Do you realize your intent for this thread is kind of counter intuitive to the actual title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    THE MELODY

-Erik-

Yeah, and I just don't hear it. There's a vague similarity, but it sure isn't shameless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    THE MELODY

-Erik-

Yeah, and I just don't hear it. There's a vague similarity, but it sure isn't shameless.

Wow! I can sing the following "In The Moonlight" lyrics with the Fitzwilly tune and they sounds EXACTLY the same as the Moonlight tune.

In the moonlight
    When the shadows play
    When the thought of what could happen
    Takes your breath away

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not the same melody though. There's a similarity, but it's not exactly the same and DEFINITELY not a shameless rip. More of a riff, and far less jazzy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The FITZWILLY/SABRINA thing I definitely buy. No doubt there.

The EDGE/TIME MACHINE thing, not so much. Both are fine scores, and the two themes in question are molded on the same "colouring", as Scribe said above, but so are a million other pieces. They're two very different pieces of music otherwise. I like them both very much.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. THE EDGE / TIME MACHINE thing is a good example of something which is quite common, where a composer has to keep all the cues of another track, the general feel, etc... and yet not be the same. I think Badelt did ok with it, but there's no mistaking what cue the scene was edited to. The usual clue is that the strings will enter exactly on the 53rd second of a track or something like that. The timing, orchestration and feel carry over. Ie. everything but the melody, which is what the judge cares about.

There's even a Desplat example I'll post up one day. Obvious case of matching a temp track as requested.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    Thor wrote

Really? FW/Sabrina doesn't even share the same melody. The only thing the notes in each cue share is a similar rhythmic construction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote

Really? FW/Sabrina doesn't even share the same melody.

Yes... it does! The first 20 or so notes are pretty much identical.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    they sure are
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Only in term of rhythmic construction. The notes aren't identical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Only in term of rhythmic construction. The notes aren't identical.

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    they sure are

Thank you!

-Erik-