• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS - JAMES HORNER

This is for me the penultimate Horner sound, the one I grew up with, the one I will always love most until my I lay my bones to rest. This score is 200 % fun and I'm glad I am alive to be listening to it again and again. In fact I want to listen to his 80s scores more than anything else.

Sure Honey's far from original but see if I care! tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote
    Anthony wrote
    It's good, but the latter 2/3 of the album suck.

I think the lack of a real orchestra in those 2/3 was its greatest deficit.

About Killzone 3, I assume those tracks without orchestra are looping endlessly within the game, solely functioning as background for the ingame action, just as it did in Killzone 2. The orchestral pieces only appear during the cutscenes. Oh well, looks like there's at least 30 minutes of purely orchestral cues, so I'm happy.

And I still haven't heard anything else than the main theme, which I like a lot.

That main theme is great. I didn't know that he was a fellow Violinist as well. Track 13 "Stahl Almost Gets Away" is excellent.

And those loops are still pretty good though. Again, if you like KZ2, you'll enjoy KZ3.

Not a fan of those synthesized cues, it's almost from another game score in all honesty.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into the game soon.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Gilles, what's your opinion on Commando?

I love the use of steel drum. I passed on it when it came out but have heard it more recently. It's a bit too synth drummy for my taste so selective track listening is the order of the day for me with this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer ghostwrote a bit of TF 2, but has *nothing* to do with NEST.

Oh...really??? then Nick. :P

We need the complete score. A lot of cool electric guitars not in the album. I hope someday....
  4. The whole beginning is based on Arrival on Earth, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Gilles, what's your opinion on Commando?

I love the use of steel drum. I passed on it when it came out but have heard it more recently. It's a bit too synth drummy for my taste so selective track listening is the order of the day for me with this one.

Can you believe I've never been interested in it. I've seen the film as a kid, know the music, but to this day that particular style, like with 48 Hours, isn't one of my preferred. I never even heard the bootleg.

I should've said: I want to listen to 90 % of his 80s scores more than anything else. smile
  6. NP: Recuerdo de Macaos - La Isla del Cangrejo (Angel Illarramendi)

My favorite theme of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Recuerdo de Macaos - La Isla del Cangrejo (Angel Illarramendi)

I've always wanted to check out this adventure score by Angel. Is it swashbuckling or is it his usual melancholy, Delerue-ian themes?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Best of Dragon Quest - Koichi Sugiyama

Thanks Gilles , I'm enjoying this immensely !
    Fantastic stuff ! cool
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BASIC INSTINCT (Jerry Goldsmith)

The ol' Varese release, which is more than sufficient for me. Great, sleazy score that became immensely influential at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Recuerdo de Macaos - La Isla del Cangrejo (Angel Illarramendi)

I've always wanted to check out this adventure score by Angel. Is it swashbuckling or is it his usual melancholy, Delerue-ian themes?

It has a little bit of both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZlImNWG1oA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL0C0aRLTnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GC_Me8rEHk
  8. NP: A New Beginning - Minority Report (John Williams)

Beautiful.
  9. Eric wrote
    NP : The Best of Dragon Quest - Koichi Sugiyama

Thanks Gilles , I'm enjoying this immensely !
    Fantastic stuff ! cool

punk A.W.E.S.O.M.E punk
  10. Killzone 3 - Joris De Man

First listen. The orchestral tracks (1-13) are not at all bad, but rely a bit too much on the old mickey-mousing technique. I would've loved a more consistent approach, which was the case in Killzone 2. The use of the theme from Killzone 2 is much appreciated and keeps me interested in this mini-score. I will keep listening to see whether it'll grow on me, which it could.

The ingame cues which follow from track 14, the remaining 66 per cent, aren't as good.
  11. NP: Finish Her Off! - Doomsday

I like the chorus and the brass in this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, killzone 3 surely let me down; or should i say the hype around it did? Anyway.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  12. Tale of Despereaux - William Ross

First listen, sort of. I kind of heard it once before, but I wasn't really paying attention. It seems pretty good so far. The orchestration is very nice (McKenzie).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011 edited
    NP: PHENOMENON - THOMAS NEWMAN

Christ I wish this was in better sound quality. Gorgeous score, it's such a shame. Hope it gets a proper release some day.
  13. LSH wrote
    NP: PHENOMENON - THOMAS NEWMAN

Christ I wish this was in better sound quality. Gorgeous score, it's such a shame. Hope it gets a proper release some day.

Absolutely...I caught myself humming the main theme to it a couple days ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011 edited
    Preparing for a very large test in the morning. This means lots of listening, and evidently lots of Williams as well...

E.T. (Anniversary Edition)- John Williams (a few times through)
    Jurassic Park- John Williams (a few times through)
    The Lost World- John Williams (a few times through)
    Jaws (Expanded Release)- John Williams (a few times through)
    Jaws (Original Soundtrack)- John Williams (a few times through)
    Sort of in a repetitive mood here. Whatever seems to be working I'll stick with for a while.

Tomorrow Never Dies (Expanded Release)- David Arnold
    Just Visiting- John Powell
    Adventures of Baron Munchausen- Michael Kamen
    Munchen- Yann Tiersen
    Music Planet 2night- Yann Tiersen and the Gotan Project
    Mary Queen of Scots- John Barry (Isolated DVD Score. I always enjoy this one. I need to listen to it more.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011
    Add The Edge La-La Release to the list. This is one of my favorites (along with favorite movies), and even after a month I'm still excited about this special complete release. A well deserving score. I was glad to hear they still had copies left when I finally heard about it. Haha, I think I was enjoying some hand thearpy when this one was released last year. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Clash of the Titans (2CD) - Laurence Rosenthal

I can't believe how much extra music there is on this Intrada release!
    A really enjoyable score filled with thematic adventure!
    Maybe not for everyone but I certainly enjoy this more than the revamp score.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    ^
    This is definitely one that I'm considering buying!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MASK OF ZORRO (James Horner)

Exotic, vibrant, colourful with a gorgeous love theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The second one is better! cheesy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    The second one is better! cheesy wink

Isn't it just more of the same? Haven't seen or heard it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    More action, a better mix, and a lot more fun in general. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    More action, a better mix, and a lot more fun in general. smile

I see. Not too sure about the 'more action' bit. As you know, I'm more into the calmer stuff these days. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I always prefer the first over the second, because Mask doesn't have one track I wouldn't like on the album, Legend however does have some, yet it's still good fun. Legend of Zorro ends in glorious Horner fashion btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Red Cliff - Taro Iwashiro

Great, great, great! I have the tracks Battle to Battle, Blood Color and Beyond the River on repeat right now.