• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    This is what Vangelis said in a tv interview here in Greece some 5-6 years back..and i think somewhere between 08 and '10, some Nasa dude also confirmed it...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012 edited
    You guys should be very proud of Vangelis, but he really should get off his butt and do more music already! It's too early for him to retire to his private mansion with ouzu and gyros and souvlakis and whatever. He's only 69; that's no age for a composer to retire!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    You guys should be very proud of Vangelis, but he really should get off his butt and do more music already! It's too early for him to retire to his private mansion with ouzu and gyros souvlakis and whatever. He's only 69; that's no age for a composer to retire!

lol My thoughts exactly. He's coming from such a different golden era of music, i think between his studio-flats in New York, Paris and Athens he's put so much money on the side all these years he doesn't really have to do something new wink But i see him (name and photos) popping up in various smaller, Greek side projects from time to time.
  1. Water, ice, organic material found on Mercury.

I am underwhelmed. There wasn't even punch & pie.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    They deny the rumours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm pretty sure there's been no recent mission to Mercury (certainly never one that landed). Aren't you guys confused with Mars?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am talking about Mars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    Yesterday NASA released a statement that ice and other frozen organic material has been found on Mercury by Messenger, which was sent out in 2004. Might have arrivd there by asteroids.
    http://www.livemint.com/Politics/Xkf9zG … rcury.html

That's quite spectacular because that's yet another place in our solar system that reveals that water isn't as rare as believed. Against all other facts and data we have received lately, it seems rather underwhelming indeed.

As for the NASA comment on Mars
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-575 … incorrect/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Yesterday NASA released a statement that ice and other frozen organic material has been found on Mercury by Messenger, which was sent out in 2004. Might have arrivd there by asteroids.
    http://www.livemint.com/Politics/Xkf9zG … rcury.html

I stand corrected.
    Cool stuff! punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, thanks Bregt. I was only aware of the Mars comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mars is a douche.
  2. Mars, Bringer of Douche.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
    I put this in the religion thread as we were on the topic of aliens, but this deserves to be put here too (well, it deserves its own thread. Ney, its own forum... its own website and funding! Oh wait...)

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/if-the … with-life/

shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
    Steven wrote
    I put this in the religion thread as we were on the topic of aliens, but this deserves to be put here too (well, it deserves its own thread. Ney, its own forum... its own website and funding! Oh wait...)

shocked

Mental isn't it! I really can't get excited over made up gods and stuff when there's so much stuff out there to boggle my silly little mind.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
    170! Just imagine what those civilisations are doing right now!? I... it's... mind=blown.

I love science! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    170! Just imagine what those civilisations are doing right now!? I... it's... mind=blown.

I love science! punk

And me. Here's some scientists at work, yesterday
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    GIANT SQUID
  3. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

Mental isn't it! I really can't get excited over made up gods and stuff when there's so much stuff out there to boggle my silly little mind.

It is interesting to think of life elsewhere, though I think that the 'skeptical' 1% figure for a lot of the steps is still rather optimistic.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Steven wrote

I love science! punk

If they are anything like us ...

heatig the climate
    plundering the natural recorces
    nuclear war
    0,005% are collecting film scores (or some equivalent)

making love (sex cometh with evolution)
    wondering, "what's out there"
    deciding that the ultimate answer is 42
    making art
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Interesting. Doing the numbers, how many film score fans are there in the known Universe?

(Probably not that many more than there is here on Earth?)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    I wonder what their greatest music sounds like? I'm assuming it's a safe assumption that most intelligent life will evolve to eventually create music? Imagine hearing it? Talk about "Most Anticipated Score". shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Are you trying to boggle me beyond boggled? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013 edited
    Try the many worlds theories where you'll probably find an infinite variety of different versions of Vaughan Williams' Fantasia. wink Though, to be fair, I think we lucked out and managed to live in a universe with the best version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    I wonder what their greatest music sounds like? I'm assuming it's a safe assumption that most intelligent life will evolve to eventually create music? Imagine hearing it? Talk about "Most Anticipated Score". shocked

I also wonder how long it would take us to become blasé and even disappointed by new alien scores. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013
    biggrin
    Kazoo
  6. Apparently the White House (or at least the chief Science at the White House) has a sense of humor.
    This post made me smile:

Official White House Response to

Petition "Secure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016."

This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For
    By Paul Shawcross

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

•The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
    •The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
    •Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
    However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon, crew -- to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we're building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget

You can read this response also on the official White House page
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  7. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Apparently the White House (or at least the chief Science at the White House) has a sense of humor.
    This post made me smile:

Official White House Response to

Paul Shawcross is Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget

You can read this response also on the official White House page

lol applause
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Yeah lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2013
    Steven wrote

shocked

Nice addition to that
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130112.html
    Kazoo