• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But Burton has no idea how to direct his cast and make them act with each other. Nicholson was just let loose, and he went amok in the role, totally stole the movie from the guy it was about (the movie was called Batman after all, not Joker.

You CANNOT be serious with a comment like that since Ledger stole the film (just like Nicholson did) in The Dark Knight. The film was called The Dark Knight not Joker.

As for cemestry between actors... again, I point you to Batman Returns and the wondeful scenes with Catwoman and Batman.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    (sorry, but I do - I´ll never forgive him the two hours of my life I lost to Beetlejuice)

Well, it's obvious that you hate almost anything Burton... but Beetlejuice was indeed a wild and zany ride which I thought was absolutely hilarious, ingenious, and totally original. Again, another Burton film is a wicked Elfman score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I remember sitting in the theatre waiting for the glorious cinematic birth of the Dark Knight;

Which Dark Knight?
    The tommygun-toting forties variant?
    The aliens-combatting fifties one?
    The überpathfinder of the sixties?
    The detective of the seventies?
    Or the grim'n'gritty doom from the dark from the eighties?

That you prefer your Batman diferrently by no means invalidates Burton's exquisite vision, Ralph. smile
    While not perfect, there is far too much in these films to enjoy and appreciate to dismiss them out of hand.

I see were you´re coming from, and I´m certainly not saying that these films are absolutely unenjoyable as a fact. I´m just telling you that they are unenjoyable for me. Honestly, there is nothing in them which I like. I even dislike the score by Danny Elfman and its reincarnation by Goldenthal. I think all the different elements of the movie are way over the top up to a level I find painful to my senses.

The Batman I prefer is the detective. Maybe I dig that version because it makes the most sense to me. Maybe it´s because I dislike everything too shrill. The Rocky Horror Picture Show frightens me to death. The caricatures which are supposed to be characters in Burton movies are absolutely impossible to connect with on any personal level.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But Burton has no idea how to direct his cast and make them act with each other. Nicholson was just let loose, and he went amok in the role, totally stole the movie from the guy it was about (the movie was called Batman after all, not Joker.

You CANNOT be serious with a comment like that since Ledger stole the film (just like Nicholson did) in The Dark Knight. The film was called The Dark Knight not Joker.

I haven´t seen it yet due to the late release date in Germany, but I know what you mean and based on the reviews I read I think you are right, but the main difference is that we already had a whole movie centered very much on Bruce Wayne, so we kind of know him by now. In Burton´s version, Keaton had next to no chance to connect to the audience because he certainly wasn´t the central character of the movie; I think Burton was too lovestruck by the crazyness of the Joker. It´s possible that I will say something similar about The Dark Knight later, but it´s still a sequel and not the origin story, so I´m much more fine by that.

As for cemestry between actors... again, I point you to Batman Returns and the wondeful scenes with Catwoman and Batman.

It´s decades since I saw that movie, and on video only. I can´t remember any big cemestry or wonderful scenes, but that may be due to time. Actually, I think I remember a dance scene that was very nice, but that´s it.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    (sorry, but I do - I´ll never forgive him the two hours of my life I lost to Beetlejuice)

Well, it's obvious that you hate almost anything Burton... but Beetlejuice was indeed a wild and zany ride which I thought was absolutely hilarious, ingenious, and totally original. Again, another Burton film is a wicked Elfman score.

As I said in my post above, I am not too fond of zany rides. biggrin What I hate is (or was) Burton´s inability to deal with normal characters. That was, until Big Fish, of course. That was a window into Burton´s soul, and for that, I respect him deeply.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

It´s decades since I saw that movie, and on video only. I can´t remember any big cemestry or wonderful scenes, but that may be due to time. Actually, I think I remember a dance scene that was very nice, but that´s it.

There are few GREAT scenes. The "Sore Spots" scene. The first Catwoman/Batman fight on the rooftops... it's much more than a traditional fight scene. And yes, the Dance. Even the finale is well acted.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

As I said in my post above, I am not too fond of zany rides. biggrin What I hate is (or was) Burton´s inability to deal with normal characters. That was, until Big Fish, of course. That was a window into Burton´s soul, and for that, I respect him deeply.

Well, that's what makes Burton different than other directors. Willing to take chances and do something completely different, the hasn't been seen before and do it all with his unique vision and natural ability to tell a good story. His more recent films haven't been as good but stuff like Beetlejuice, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow all showcase that. Actually, if you are looking for a real personal film check out Ed Wood.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I thought a long time about watching Ed Wood. Maybe I will, one day.

The atmosphere in Sleepy Hollow I like very much (whoa, I sound like Yoda now - must be the Clone Wars virus), but that´s due to personal reasons, because it reminds me of a roleplaying game I really adore. The characters, however, are as mad as always.

I agree that Burton´s approach is original, but I always thought it to be his style, the thing he does, the way he does things. Now that I know that he can do things differently, i don´t know what to think of it, but the originality of it has worn off for a long time now.

Regarding to Batman Returns, I doubt I will give it another chance. Maybe there is a great connection between Keaton and Pfeiffer, maybe there isn´t. In the end it wasn´t enough to keep me satisfied, and I think I prefer to claim it all on Burton. biggrin
  1. Steven wrote
    I didn't like Neeson as Ducard at all though. Such a typecast role for Neeson, and it's getting boring. I'm glad he's not in The Dark Knight.

Well to me they found an interesting twist on that role in that he was **** SPOILER **** the villain, a type of role he has never played in a film to my knowledge. ***** His character's motivation to push mankind to tear eachother apart nicely anticipates what they did with the Joker in part two.

Also consider when they shot the film that they didn't know that he would be playing 'mentor' roles in KINGDOM OF HEAVEN and CHRONICLES OF NARNIA that same year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    That may be, but I still didn't like his portrayal of the character. The "mentor" aspect of it seemed, well, too contrived somehow? It should feel effortless, it should feel natural, but it didn't feel like any of that when I watched Liam Neeson in Batman Begins.

But Michael Caine as Alfred is a spot of casting genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Wel, interestingly it is quite in keeping with the original portrayal of Rah's. He's always seen The Detective as a potential successor. But I agree that with so many 'mentor roles', Liam was getting a bit typecast here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    But Michael Caine as Alfred is a spot of casting genius!

Ya think?
    Alfred.
    Sir Michael.
    I wish they'd taken just a bit of effort to try and make him look like the character he's portraying. And dearly though I love Sir Michael, the cockney accent shining through also is very annoying in the role.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I surely do. I'm glad they didn't cast someone with the cliched snooty accent, he gave that film its much needed comic relief while remaining a very interesting character, a father figure to Bruce. Wouldn't change a thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008 edited
    I thought Michael Caine was brilliant. Ever since Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, which I adore, he´s the perfect old school gentleman, and him playing Alfred in BB was - for me - a natural choice.

And God, I loved him in Prestige, which is one of the very best movies ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Michael Caine as a gentleman... David Niven is having gyroscopic fits in his grave...
  2. Well, the kind of gentleman which tries to get your briefcase while he gets a hanger for your coat, of course... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I surely do. I'm glad they didn't cast someone with the cliched snooty accent, he gave that film its much needed comic relief while remaining a very interesting character, a father figure to Bruce. Wouldn't change a thing.

Totally agree.

Last night i saw THE DARK KNIGHT.

Totally fascinating, breathtakingly spectacular; dark and mature, a grand epic. I can't help but to giggle when i see comparisons to the older Batman films; sorry.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    rolleyes

Never mind. The people who were supposed to get the point, got it.
    No point in flogging a dead bat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, have you watched THE DARK KNIGHT?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, but I surely will.
    (Next weekend probably).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then you might get what i mean. This movie is phenomenal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm sure it is, but that's not the point.
    Making comparisons to Burton's films is about as poignant as comparing Burton's vision to 1966' TV's Batman. All three show a completely different vision, which each one being perfectly valid in its own context.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    OMG.
    Just returned from a screening of The Dark Knight. This movie is brilliant! I'm not a hugh fan of comic-movies but Batman Begins and now The Dark Knight are both highly entertaining.
    A bloody good thrill-ride. Bring on the next (Batman) movie, Mr. Nolan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BasilB wrote
    OMG.
    Just returned from a screening of The Dark Knight. This movie is brilliant! I'm not a hugh fan of comic-movies but Batman Begins and now The Dark Knight are both highly entertaining.

See? smile See http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … t/#Item_14

Nolan is possibly Hollywood's brightest younger director the way i see it, currently. I am stunned.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Christodoulides wrote
    BasilB wrote
    OMG.

See? smile See http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … t/#Item_14

Nolan is possibly Hollywood's brightest younger director the way i see it, currently. I am stunned.

Yes. I do think as well that Nolan's career is cooking at the moment and I really hope, that we're going to hear a lot more from this directer. The way he is telling his stories is fascinating and I love how he manages to give his characters in his movies enough space and time to evolve. That's bliss! Can only agree with your post!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, poo to yoo!

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh thank God. I saw "poo" and i feared to click on the link 'cause of some paranoia i got last week by accidentally clicking on a similarly-named link. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BasilB wrote
    OMG.

I've not seen The Dark Knight yet, but it seems to me considering the general reaction to this new Batman film that making a next one would be a mistake. End on a high note I say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh thank God. I saw "poo" and i feared to click on the link 'cause of some paranoia i got last week by accidentally clicking on a similarly-named link. shocked

biggrin
    I can well imagine!

(But luckily you know me better than that, D.! wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    BasilB wrote
    OMG.

I've not seen The Dark Knight yet, but it seems to me considering the general reaction to this new Batman film that making a next one would be a mistake. End on a high note I say.

That thought crossed my mind too last night. But i want to see another Batman from Nolan. And if he decides to take that step, i am really confident in him.

Btw question to anyone who's seen the film:

Have you actually HEARD "like a dog chasing cars" in the movie? I only heard the similar enough "Introduce a little anarchy" during the final good guys and batman versus clowns and hostages in the building through "mobile phone sonar" vision sequence but not the actual "like a dog chasing cars" track.

Thanks wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    BasilB wrote
    OMG.

That thought crossed my mind too last night. But i want to see another Batman from Nolan. And if he decides to take that step, i am really confident in him.

Btw question to anyone who's seen the film:

Have you actually HEARD "like a dog chasing cars" in the movie? I only heard the similar enough "Introduce a little anarchy" during the final good guys and batman versus clowns and hostages in the building through "mobile phone sonar" vision sequence but not the actual "like a dog chasing cars" track.

Thanks wave

So are you saying that the best track of the score is not in the movie / is not propperly heard due to FX or something? shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Nolan got my attention with Batman Begins, and then The Prestige absolutely blew me away. I haven´t seen anything else, but I´m going to, definitely.

Martijn, your point about a new Batman version for each generation doesn´t give the fact justice that at the time where Burton´s Batman came out, a hard-ass serious version would have been possible if the right director would have jumped onto the project. That´s what I meant with my James Cameron / Ridley Scott comment. If one of them would have done it, we would have had a great version right there. There was no need for Burton´s freakshow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's a silly argument: with O'Neill well in the saddle of the comics franchise (my favourite run as far as the comics are concerned, incidentally), in the sixties a hard-ass tv/film version would have been possible as well... but it simply wasn't considered.
    Same thing at the end of the eighties.
    Cameron might have Titanic'd it up, Scott might have Legended it up.
    While I can perfectly understand a personal preference for the Nolan reboot, the fact that you personally are not into Burton, doesn't make any hypothetical other contemporary version automatically better.

I love Adam West's Batman.
    I love Michael Keaton's Batman.
    I love Christian Bale's Batman.

They're all excellent exponents of their time and of a (time-)specific take on a hero that's been around for nigh to seventy years.