• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011
    christopher, great post about Yanni, thank you!

Thanks for the great recommendations. I will listen to the three pieces you linked now and these following days until I get to know them well. I'm surprised you didn't seem to know If I could tell you and The nightingale. I've always been under the impression that the former was Yanni's most famous piece and the latter a fan favourite. But I guess with so many albums, there are many good and popular tracks around.

christopher wrote
    My general impression of Yanni is that he a) looks like captain hook

lol

christopher wrote
    You might be interested to know that Yanni is self taught. I've heard that he doesn't read music, but devised his own system of writing down what he plays that someone else then transribes into music that everyone else can read. Looking at his piano books you can tell that he hasn't been classically trained. His time signatures are some of the most bizzare I've seen, and they change frequently during the middle of a piece.

Somehow I'm not surprised that he isn't classically trained, but it's fun that he has invented his own system of writing down his music.

christopher wrote
    If you're interested, there is a "new age" pianist that I like much more named Jon Schmidt that really isn't very new agey at all. Perhaps I'll post about him in the non-film-score np thread when I have some more time.

Never heard of him. Will look him up on youtube.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    I love Morricone, and he often times falls into my favorite composer slot depending on what mood I'm in, but this one never did anything for me. The main theme is good, but it seems to be one of those scores where you have to be patient and wait for the good stuff to happen. I had that disappointing sinking feeling in my stomach after listening to it for the first time after hearing the high praise it normally gets. I couldn't stop thinking, "what if Jerry Goldsmith scored this?" wink

I didn't care much about it at first either, but it's the kind of score that takes a while to get under your skin, and today I do like it alot. I like the main theme, but there are several other melodies I prefer. The two Dedication pieces I find fantastic. I also enjoy the sweet love theme Miriam and Philip. The über-cool and unique piece The mountain is quite an experience. And of course there's Kerim, the melody Zimmer infamously used in Gladiator.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Questa Specie d'Amore - Ennio Morricone

Another favourite. One of his most beautiful, this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Questa Specie d'Amore - Ennio Morricone

Another favourite. One of his most beautiful, this.

Indeed. ~6 great themes on one album. A bit of a rarity in film music to get so many themes, even rarer when all of them are fantastic.

Peter smile
  1. NP: La Piel Que Habito - Alberto Iglesias

I may have just heard my favourite Iglesias score! I really like the tracks that dwell on the strings that have a raw quartet-style feel to them. As with a lot of his music on CD, there is quite a bit of variety (including some songs). But there are some stunning tracks here.

(English title of film is The Skin I Live In.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Harry Gregson-Williams - Passionada

Beautiful, small-scale and low-key score I haven't heard for years. The more electronic tracks aren't even that jarring (though, actually, a bit), some pretty material there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    City of Fear - Jerry Goldsmith

This has that wonderfully skeletal late 50s/early 60s sound which I love, but with embryonic (and usually rhythmical) hints of Goldsmith's future scores.

Worth listening to, although the later Studs Lonigan is more accessible.

Both feature some guy called Johnny Williams on piano.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011 edited
    NP: JURASSIC PARK (John Williams)

Only my alltime favourite soundtrack, that's all.

(the observant reader would have noticed that I'm going through my Williams alphabetically -- as they appear in iTunes -- although I haven't put an NP to every single one of them).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: La Piel Que Habito - Alberto Iglesias

Is this a new one? Sounds worthy of investigation (in any case).
  3. That's the new Almodovar score. Generally Iglesias does some of his most enjoyable work for Almodovar, so it's good to hear this one works.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Green Dragon - Mychael and Jeff Danna

Gorgeous. My favourite score by any Danna variant.
  4. Southall wrote
    lol

The Jerry Goldsmith part was supposed to be funny, but the rest wasn't. wink

plindboe wrote
    I didn't care much about it at first either, but it's the kind of score that takes a while to get under your skin, and today I do like it alot. I like the main theme, but there are several other melodies I prefer. The two Dedication pieces I find fantastic. I also enjoy the sweet love theme Miriam and Philip. The über-cool and unique piece The mountain is quite an experience. And of course there's Kerim, the melody Zimmer infamously used in Gladiator.

I'll have to listen to it again sometime. I may have had Morricone oversaturation at the time being I just bought a bunch of his scores around the first time I listened to this (being I couldn't get enough of his music after I first "discovered" him when watching the 'Untouchables'). Didn't notice the Gladiator connection before, but I don't really like Zimmer's 'Gladiator' score either so I don't listen to it often. biggrin I'll have to listen for the reference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Southall wrote
    lol

The Jerry Goldsmith part was supposed to be funny, but the rest wasn't. wink

I was only laughing at the Jerry Goldsmith part. The rest was not so funny!

plindboe wrote

I'll have to listen to it again sometime. I may have had Morricone oversaturation at the time being I just bought a bunch of his scores around the first time I listened to this (being I couldn't get enough of his music after I first "discovered" him when watching the 'Untouchables'). Didn't notice the Gladiator connection before, but I don't really like Zimmer's 'Gladiator' score either so I don't listen to it often. biggrin I'll have to listen for the reference.

It is pretty blatant - and surprising. (I know Zimmer's a Morricone fan but am surprised that he - or whoever wrote that cue, if it wasn't one of his - would be familiar with something like Secret of the Sahara.)
  5. Southall wrote

Haha...okay. Did you instantly like Secret of the Sahara or did it take a little while to warm up to it?

It is pretty blatant - and surprising. (I know Zimmer's a Morricone fan but am surprised that he - or whoever wrote that cue, if it wasn't one of his - would be familiar with something like Secret of the Sahara.)

I really have to listen to this cue tonight. I would say Lisa Gerrard would be the leading candidate for writing that cue and not being familiar with Secret of the Sahara because she is apparently an alien. The madeup language she uses in Gladiator isn't exactly internationally recognized.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Southall wrote

Haha...okay. Did you instantly like Secret of the Sahara or did it take a little while to warm up to it?

I can't really remember. It was a long time ago. I think I probably liked it straight away. It was one of the earliest purchases in what became my Morricone odyssey.
  6. Taking into the account that Zimmer's reworking of Kerim is also an arrangement of his Earth theme at the same time, I'd say it is very much Zimmer's fault, that rip-off, not Gerrard's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    I'll have to listen to it again sometime. I may have had Morricone oversaturation at the time being I just bought a bunch of his scores around the first time I listened to this (being I couldn't get enough of his music after I first "discovered" him when watching the 'Untouchables').

I personally find it impossible to overdose on Morricone. wink

Don't be surprised if the score doesn't grab you on the next listen as well. Since it took a long while for me to like this score, I totally get it. It seems very slow and restrained much of the time, but after a while you start realizing how good the melodies are. I used to have given up on it too, but then I bought a compilation with love themes that had Miriam and Philip on it, and I really fell for this cue. Later I saw a Morricone documentary that used The mountain, and I thought it was extraordinary. Then I heard of Zimmer's use pf Kerim in Gladiator, and I gave it another chance. I haven't totally fallen for this track yet, and I almost prefer Zimmer's rendution, but I still think it's a very fine melody. After all these discoveries I had to listen to the album again, and I fell for the two heart-warming and noble Dedication cues. These last two are still my favourites.

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Didn't notice the Gladiator connection before, but I don't really like Zimmer's 'Gladiator' score either so I don't listen to it often. biggrin I'll have to listen for the reference.

If you have Zimmer's score, the melody can be heard in the end of The battle.

Oh, and for another tidbit; Tarantino used The mountain in Inglorious basterds.

Peter smile
  7. Tyler Bates - Conan the Barbarian

And I thought Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was the worst score of the year...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    NP: Streamingsoundtracks.com

One of the few radio stations that play film scores, yet people keep requesting pop songs and musical numbers. There are millions of radio stations out there that play this crap, so why request it on a film score radio station? Argh! Have to mute my computer every time a song comes on, as I find most singing distracting and annoying.

Peter slant
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Tyler Bates - Conan the Barbarian

And I thought Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was the worst score of the year...

Oh dear! I am curious to hear what this one is like.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FF … dm_sp_alb#

No.
    You're not.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011 edited
    Has Tyler Bates ever done anything good? Whenever I see his name negative words tend to follow.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So, this is pretty much the worst original-to-remake transition in the entire history of film scoring.
    Poledouris...to Bates.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There is such a nuclear blast of blinding truth to that, that I am quoting it in my signature.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I've been waiting to make that comment ever since I heard Bates was doing the score (of all people! at least Zimmer might have had some respect!) but I was holding out for some sign that Bates had at least, gotten out of bed in the morning when he was working on this score, as opposed to dragging samples around on his laptop while listening to the temp track on his ipod...

sadly but unsurprisingly, it does not appear to be so.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Masters of the Universe - "Bill Conti"

It's like listening to some kind of classical jukebox, but is so shamelessly enthusiastic in its borrowings that it's actually rather hard to dislike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011

Now, the word "atrocious" seems more fitting to describe this score in comparison to Poledouris' original. Though it is a different adaptation than Millius' version.
  9. plindboe wrote
    Has Tyler Bates ever done anything good? Whenever I see his name negative words tend to follow.

Peter smile

He has done What's The Worst Thing That Could Happen? which it had a light score with a lot of influences of jazz and funk. And also, this year's The Way, which it had piano, a string orchestra and guitars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    I've been waiting to make that comment ever since I heard Bates was doing the score (of all people! at least Zimmer might have had some respect!) but I was holding out for some sign that Bates had at least, gotten out of bed in the morning when he was working on this score, as opposed to dragging samples around on his laptop while listening to the temp track on his ipod...

sadly but unsurprisingly, it does not appear to be so.

It does appear Tyler slept in on various occasions as two other "composers" are credited with scoring this also.
  10. By the way, according to a magazine, a 40 piece orchestra was used and then doubled.