• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Portman)

Doesn't end as well as it started, but for the most part, this is lovely.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011 edited
    NP: HARRY POTTER & THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (John Williams)

I often have to struggle my way through the first two (just did), but this holds up from beginning to end. The best score of the series, by far. Varied and strong.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    NP: HARRY POTTER & THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (John Williams)

I often have to struggle my way through the first two (just did), but this holds up from beginning to end. The best score of the series, by far. Varied and strong.

Agreed. I took the first two off my ipod this morning, but the third isn't going anywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011
    Scribe wrote
    Arbitrary quality or popularity derived definitionary limits are arbitrary.

Try saying that when you're pissed.

NP: SIDEWAYS - ROLFE KENT

One of my most played albums and certainly a favourite from the last decade.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    LSH wrote
    Scribe wrote

It was definitely designed to be as awkward a sentence as possible, for nerd humor biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011 edited
    Scribe wrote
    LSH wrote
    Scribe wrote

It was definitely designed to be as awkward a sentence as possible, for nerd humor biggrin

Put another twenty or so tongue twisting verses and I'm sure it would give Danny Kaye a problem for a second or two, well, if he were still alive of course wink

p.s. Matt, are you British?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Sadly, no.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In that case I don't have to remonstrate with your spelling of 'humoUr' wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CLEOPATRA JONES - J.J. Johnson

funk funk funk funky chicken
  3. Good choice! A great title song.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love those "Blaxploitation" scores cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011
    The Public Eye - Isham, Mark

This has sat on my shelf (well, it has moved shelves more than once) for over a decade and I'm not sure I've ever listened to it before. I was hoping for another Back Dahlia - it's nothing like that, but is a reasonably attractive noir score.
  4. NP: Tree of Life (Hanan Townsend)

The other TREE OF LIFE score. Not quite a score, since it largely consists of piano-focused rearrangements of key classical works from the film (the Respighi, the Preisner, the Couperin). There are a couple of more textural tracks here too.
    A full 70 minute cd combining the best music from TREE OF LIFE -- Desplat's score, the classical pieces, and this iTunes release -- would be a wonderful thing.

Fortunately these days, we can all be our own album producers when the market doesn't deliver our optimum bundling of commodities.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Tree of Life (Hanan Townsend)

The other TREE OF LIFE score. Not quite a score, since it largely consists of piano-focused rearrangements of key classical works from the film (the Respighi, the Preisner, the Couperin). There are a couple of more textural tracks here too.
    A full 70 minute cd combining the best music from TREE OF LIFE -- Desplat's score, the classical pieces, and this iTunes release -- would be a wonderful thing.

Fortunately these days, we can all be our own album producers when the market doesn't deliver our optimum bundling of commodities.

Cripes man, whatcha doing? Don't tell Thor that! wink
  5. Does Thor have views on the role of an album producer? If so, what are they? I do wish he would articulate them. biggrin

NP: Tree of Life (Desplat)

I do like this. 'City of Glass', 'Motherhood' and 'Fatherhood' are three I'm going through at the moment. Compelling listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Tree of Life (Hanan Townsend)

Watch out or we'll end up like the premise of EUREKA, the tv show where almost every inhabitant of the small town are either geniuses or scientists of some sort. Leads to much trouble!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Being in England I'm looking forward to tonight, as there will be one of those Proms focusing on film music. Will start 7:30 on BBC4. I'm especially looking forward to Cinema Paradiso.

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServl … /error.jsp

BBC Proms 2011
    Highlight

Friday 12 August
    7:30pm - 9:40pm
    BBC4
    Film Music Night

A feast for cineastes in this Film Music Prom in which conductor Keith Lockhart promises "a serious look at some truly great scores, with a focus on the great British composers". So there's a suite by William Walton from Laurence Olivier's Henry V, and in tribute to John Barry, who died in January, a ten-minute James Bond medley and the love theme from Out of Africa. Hollywood gets a look in, too, with composers John Williams (Star Wars, Schindler's List, Harry Potter) and Bernard Herrmann (Citizen Kane, North by Northwest and Psycho; sadly no Vertigo). And hankies at the ready for Ennio Morricone's lachrymose Cinema Paradiso theme.

Peter smile
  6. Also, Peter. on BBC Radio 4 at 10:15pm there is another live Prom:

"...the Spaghetti Western Orchestra performs the scores of Ennio Morricone for the films of Sergio Leone. The Australian group re-creates classic soundtracks with only five players by using extraordinary virtuosity on a variety of conventional and unusual instruments."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks Alan!

The Spaghetti Western Orchestra is brilliant. They're the best performers of the Morricone western scores today, even better than Morricone's own live performances. They're also quite funny and very inventive in their choices of instruments. I recommend them highly to you, James, Timmer and anyone else who can listen to that station and are fans of Morricone's spaghetti western music.

It's a great shame it's on the radio though, instead of the telly. One can't really sit around the radio and enjoy it in the same way. With radio one ends up doing something else, and it will end up functioning as background music instead.

Peter cuba
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Because it's on BBC 4 it should get repeated which is just as well because I've a friends birthday to attend at 9 pm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hope you can hear it another time.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me too! I can still watch the first hour or so though cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Hope you can hear it another time.

Peter smile

Ooops! Sorry, yes, the Radio concert. I've heard them before and they are indeed SUPERB!!!
  7. plindboe wrote
    Thanks Alan!

The Spaghetti Western Orchestra is brilliant. They're the best performers of the Morricone western scores today, even better than Morricone's own live performances. They're also quite funny and very inventive in their choices of instruments. I recommend them highly to you, James, Timmer and anyone else who can listen to that station and are fans of Morricone's spaghetti western music.

It's a great shame it's on the radio though, instead of the telly. One can't really sit around the radio and enjoy it in the same way. With radio one ends up doing something else, and it will end up functioning as background music instead.

Peter cuba

Their website has clips:

http://www.spaghettiwesternorchestra.com/
  8. Been listening to a random 10 tracks of favourite TV themes:

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2011/08/ … gust-2011/

North and South, Dexter, Babylon 5, Cranford, Star Trek: Voyager, Fringe... a great selection.

And you should have heard 11-15!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Squanto: A Warrior's Tale - Joel McNeely

Right up my alley! A great release from Intrada. This, like Horner's The Journey of Natty Gann, is such an incredible discovery and warrants repeat listens! The score is superb featuring a memorable, long lined theme, and old school styled action material. And the score is dripping with genuine emotion! A dynamic recording from Shawn Murphy is a bonus! This album, limted to 1500 copies, isn't sold out yet so if you are a fan of IRON WILL and WILD AMERICA and you haven't purchased your copy yet then what in the bloody hell are you waiting for? Get one RIGHT NOW!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Squanto: A Warrior's Tale - Joel McNeely

Right up my alley! A great release from Intrada. This, like Horner's The Journey of Natty Gann, is such an incredible discovery and warrants repeat listens! The score is superb featuring a memorable, long lined theme, and old school styled action material. And the score is dripping with genuine emotion! A dynamic recording from Shawn Murphy is a bonus! This album, limted to 1500 copies, isn't sold out yet so if you are a fan of IRON WILL and WILD AMERICA and you haven't purchased your copy yet then what in the bloody hell are you waiting for? Get one RIGHT NOW!

-Erik-

It's a great listen. McNeely in his prime.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Been listening to a random 10 tracks of favourite TV themes:

http://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2011/08/ … gust-2011/

North and South, Dexter, Babylon 5, Cranford, Star Trek: Voyager, Fringe... a great selection.

And you should have heard 11-15!!

A very fine selection cool
  9. I was just about to comment that Erik's push to do the blog is gratefully appreciated, it has meant that any comments here or at the blog have dried up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited
    confused
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!