• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011
    It's a good album, but I'm not as enamoured as Timmer is. It's part of that "busy" music I've veered more away from recently. So that means Erik will like it! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN (John Williams)

There's actually some decent swingin' jazz music in this, but the C&C presentation is disastrous (including all that godawful mickey-mousing that drives you bananas). I should make a playlist myself some day with the main musical setpieces. Wouldn't be as good as if a professional producer had made an album out of it, but anything is better than the FSM presentation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote

There's actually some decent swingin' jazz music in this, but the C&C presentation is disastrous (including all that godawful mickey-mousing that drives you bananas). I should make a playlist myself some day with the main musical setpieces. Wouldn't be as good as if a professional producer had made an album out of it, but anything is better than the FSM presentation.

I'm sure your "playlist" will be just as good as a "professional" producer's musical selections. The great thing about doing it yourself is that now YOU can remove that mickey mousing music that YOU so loathe. On the other hand, others, like myself who don't mind the mickey mousing can still enjoy it! I'm beating a dead horse, I know, but here's prime example of YOU taking control and putting together something that adheres to YOUR OWN personal tastes without interfering with anyone else's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: A Better Life - Desplat

A very emotional score that brings the classic Desplat sensibilities back. I like the guitar and trompet solos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm sure your "playlist" will be just as good as a "professional" producer's musical selections. The great thing about doing it yourself is that now YOU can remove that mickey mousing music that YOU so loathe. On the other hand, others, like myself who don't mind the mickey mousing can still enjoy it! I'm beating a dead horse, I know, but here's prime example of YOU taking control and putting together something that adheres to YOUR OWN personal tastes without interfering with anyone else's.

-Erik-

For me, a playlist will only be a "best of Thor", I have no idea how to DESIGN albums as good as they would (albums with their own ebb and flow and logic and structure). I could fiddle around with a playlist to make something passable, but I'd take a professionally designed album any day (whether the composer him/herself or an experienced and musically savvy producer).

Creating good albums is more than just picking out the tracks you like. It's an artform in itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cowboys and Aliens - Harry Gregson-Williams

Atrocious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

Atrocious.

Indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011
    Thor wrote
    For me, a playlist will only be a "best of Thor",

That's all that matters!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote

Atrocious.

Really?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes... really atrocious! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yes... really atrocious! wink

-Erik-

More like a really hyperbolic statement.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

That's all that matters!

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Less Than Zero - Thomas Newman

It sucks that this never got a decent release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Rachel Portman

Nothing ground breaking but this is lovely! Thank you Rachel for saving the day!

-Erik-

Well , look at this! I've read the book recently but I didn't know it was made into a film! I love Rachel Portman so I will definately look into it!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

That's all that matters!

-Erik-

Not to me. To me, album experience is THE most important thing, and since I would never pretend to be a record producer, I'll leave that to them. Should they run away from their job and obligation, however (pr. C&C), I could be forced to create an "emergency solution" myself -- which isn't as good as it could have been, but which is better than what we got. GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN is such an example.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Surely it's as simple as just ommiting the tracks you don't like?

simplez!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Apparently, some believe that album producers have some special secret knowledge about what makes a good listening experience, and that none of us mere mortals could ever hope to replicate their master craftsmanship.

Or maybe he's just lazy and/or too busy to bother?

Personally I find it quite satisfying to be able to re-arrange an album listening experience to my exact personal taste. And yet saying that I rarely ever actually do that, beyond the obvious shortcut of marking my favorite tracks and henceforth listening to only those!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote

simplez!

Tell that to George Martin or Alan Parsons or Sam Philips or Quincy Jones or Phil Spector!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Apparently, some believe that album producers have some special secret knowledge about what makes a good listening experience, and that none of us mere mortals could ever hope to replicate their master craftsmanship.!

Actually, yes. Just as I don't pretend to be a better plumber or carpenter than those who have actually gone to school and do it for a living. If album production is an artform (and I think it is), then the record producers are the artists, esp. if they are the composers themselves. That doesn't prevent me from creating playlists or playing around in my amateur ways (if I so desire), but that's also where it ends.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Apparently, some believe that album producers have some special secret knowledge about what makes a good listening experience, and that none of us mere mortals could ever hope to replicate their master craftsmanship.

The only thing that matters is what makes me happy... and if that means arranging an album to my own set of preferences... then you can stop calling me Erik and start calling me THE ARTIST FORMALLY KNOWN AS ERIK.

-The Artist Formally Known As Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

simplez!

Tell that to George Martin or Alan Parsons or Sam Philips or Quincy Jones or Phil Spector!

I have no need to, I'll happily re-arrange their albums to suit my taste if necessary wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote
    Actually, yes. Just as I don't pretend to be a better plumber or carpenter than those who have actually gone to school and do it for a living. If album production is an artform (and I think it is), then the record producers are the artists, esp. if they are the composers themselves. That doesn't prevent me from creating playlists or playing around in my amateur ways (if I so desire), but that's also where it ends.

Do people actually go to school to become record producers?
    Can I buy a book about how to produce an instrumental album for optimal listening experience?
    If the answer to either of those question is "no" then I can't consider album production in the same vein as plumbing or carpentry. There's just not that much to it, and its far more subjective than actual professions!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Thor wrote

Do people actually go to school to become record producers?
    Can I buy a book about how to produce an instrumental album for optimal listening experience?
    If the answer to either of those question is "no" then I can't consider album production in the same vein as plumbing or carpentry. There's just not that much to it, and its far more subjective than actual professions!

Well, if the producer is also the composer (which often happens), they definitely know their OWN music and musical structure in general better than I can ever do.

If the producer is not the composer, but has been releasing albums for years, he's also received a fair share of experience in the area (which is also a type of 'school') - even if he doesn't have a musical background himself. He's a PROFESSIONAL. I'm an amateur.

I would say album producers are both professionals AND artists (one doesn't exclude the other). And all art is subjective, so it's not in my place to question their right to express their subjective vision. I can only evaluate the product after the fact. Just as you would when evaluating a film or a painting or a book created by directors, painters and authors.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I do not comprehend this apparently magical discinction between amateur and professional. Getting paid for something does not make you better at it, in fact in many cases it makes you worse.

I have a whole lot more knowledge and experience than even the world's best album producer about how I want to have the best musical listening experience...which might change not only by album but even by day and mood with the SAME album. Nobody else in the world, especially not the composer of the music who didn't even write the music to be listened to as an album, but rather as a film accompaniment, can possibly know better what is the best listening experience for me personally.

And most people when experiencing films and books have their own personal version of the story and characters. Some of the most successful novels in this age are those whose main characters are as generic as possible (Twilight being the most glaring example) in order to allow the reader to insert their own imaginary self into the story and live vicariously through the characters. Good artists understand that the experience of art is highly personal to each experiencer. It's the...pompous, for lack of a better word, artists who think that everyone must only experience their unique vision in exactly the way they intended it. Which is not to imply that people like you, Thor, are pompous for wanting to experience art the way the artist intended it, being an artist myself I certainly think that's an admirable goal.

But I do think that the world is a more diverse and beautiful place when each individual can fuse their own personality with the artistic memes and in so doing create new memetic offspring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What's not to understand?

Anyone can draw, but that doesn't make you an artist.

Anyone can write, but that doesn't make you an author.

Anyone can hit the piano keys, but that doesn't make you a pianist.

Etc., etc.

So anyone can make their own playlist, but that doesn't make you an album producer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If you draw with the purpose of making art, you are an artist. Even if nobody else ever sees your work. Even if its the least liked work in the world. Arbitrary quality or popularity derived definitionary limits are arbitrary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    If you draw with the purpose of making art, you are an artist. Even if nobody else ever sees your work. Even if its the least liked work in the world. Arbitrary quality or popularity derived definitionary limits are arbitrary.

Well, what is or isn't art (or what is and isn't an artist) is obviously an age-old debate.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree in our assessment on what record producing actually is, and what qualifications you need in order to call yourself one.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Ironically what seems to make an album producer is a credit on a record.

How about instead of worshipping this odd craft, we simply say that a well-produced album is better than a poorly produced one? And that every aspect of what makes one good and another bad is ... a matter of opinion.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Indeed. If you are happier having people who don't know you producing your albums for you, then by all means, enjoy them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ironically what seems to make an album producer is a credit on a record.

How about instead of worshipping this odd craft, we simply say that a well-produced album is better than a poorly produced one? And that every aspect of what makes one good and another bad is ... a matter of opinion.

I'd agree with that. General enough to be valid for both viewpoints.
    I am extremely serious.