• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011 edited
    Freejack?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. FSM member with an unnatural love for electronic scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011
    Electronic? Means something else in music these days.......you mean synth-heavy cr...i mean stuff?
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone

It has been YEARS since I've listened to this score. It hasalmost been the same amount of time since I've seen the film. I do remember really enjoying Morricone's score (especially at this time of the year) and remember the film being one of the finest horror films ever made. I really need to revisit the film this Halloween season.

As for the score, I'm spinning the new re-recording which is surprisingly quite remarkable! I love the John Carpenteresque pulse heard in the "Main Title/Desolation." That element can be found in some of Carpenter's best horror scores (Halloween/Prince of Darkness) and keeps the score moving forward. I love the electronic elements (which Carpenter asked Morricone to do AFTER writing a more orchestral score the first time around) that blends seamlessly with the organic orchestral elements. However, the orchestral elements in this recording are all samples... but a dare you to tell the difference between these samples and the live orchestral cues from the original soundtrack recording. Amazing technology!

Who would have thought it but this could go down as one of the most faithful re-recordings of all time! A big round of applause for everyone evolved in this project; the Buysoundtrax team, producer Alan Howarth and arranger Larry Hopkins. I'm recording my Halloween show today and this most certainly will be the headliner. One of the most pleasant surprises of the year! Highly recommended!

-Erik-

Hopefully your comments, Erik, will get more of a response than my own comments did.

Two days since I posted some comments on my own thoughts and apparently no interest whatsoever. Maybe I should have mentioned it did/didn't sound like Zimmer or Desplat or even Bates or Haslinger. rolleyes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, the best place to post about what you are currently listening to is in this thread. The Now Playing threads are easily the most popular on the board.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts. good to see someone else enjoying this as much as I am!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone

It has been YEARS since I've listened to this score. It hasalmost been the same amount of time since I've seen the film. I do remember really enjoying Morricone's score (especially at this time of the year) and remember the film being one of the finest horror films ever made. I really need to revisit the film this Halloween season.

As for the score, I'm spinning the new re-recording which is surprisingly quite remarkable! I love the John Carpenteresque pulse heard in the "Main Title/Desolation." That element can be found in some of Carpenter's best horror scores (Halloween/Prince of Darkness) and keeps the score moving forward. I love the electronic elements (which Carpenter asked Morricone to do AFTER writing a more orchestral score the first time around) that blends seamlessly with the organic orchestral elements. However, the orchestral elements in this recording are all samples... but a dare you to tell the difference between these samples and the live orchestral cues from the original soundtrack recording. Amazing technology!

Who would have thought it but this could go down as one of the most faithful re-recordings of all time! A big round of applause for everyone evolved in this project; the Buysoundtrax team, producer Alan Howarth and arranger Larry Hopkins. I'm recording my Halloween show today and this most certainly will be the headliner. One of the most pleasant surprises of the year! Highly recommended!

-Erik-

Quite a review. Perhaps I'll have to get it after all.

In any case, the movie is extraordinary. One of the best horror movies of all time.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Thing - Marco Beltrami

Not as engaging as Morricone's original but I will say that Beltrami does some of the most unholy things with the orchestra that I've ever heard. He also hints at the Morricone pulse from the original... nice touch. The action cue "Sanders Buck" (GREAT track title!) is one of the most ferocious I've heard in a long time. It stand side by side with Don Davis' "Pencil Neck" from The House on Haunted Hill.

Anyway, there is some sensational writing going on here but the highlights are too few and far between to work as a solid 55 minute listening experience.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Hopefully your comments, Erik, will get more of a response than my own comments did.

Hehe, sorry Alan. I enjoyed reading your review. Just didn't occur to me to comment for some reason.

Peter smile
  3. I need to inject some passion into my comments rather than just talking facts a lot of the time.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I need to inject some passion into my comments rather than just talking facts a lot of the time.

Fuck yeah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Far From Heaven - Elmer Bernstein

Passion is evident throughout this one. Exceptional work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Elfman - real steel
    Isham - dolphin tale

Hmm......not particularly exciting, either of them. At least on first listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Far From Heaven - Elmer Bernstein

Passion is evident throughout this one. Exceptional work.

Indeed! A lovely work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Thor wrote
    NP: RESTORATION (James Newton Howard/Henry Purcell)

Very underrated baroque score that blends perfectly between JNH's more contemporary period music and Purcell's original period pieces.

I think that's one of JNH's best scores. His contribution to that film's music is so consistently good from start to finish. It blends really well with the period music, but is so dramatic and beautiful. Great stuff!

NP - Standard Operating Procedure - Danny Elfman

Goodness, Elfman's writing sure has come a long way. Comparing this with some of his early stuff, it's just on a different level. I love the melodies of his older scores, but the complexity, technicality, and intricacy of some of his more recent scores is very impressive. I'm not always in the mood for this one, but when I am it's pretty satisfying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: RESTORATION (James Newton Howard/Henry Purcell)

Very underrated baroque score that blends perfectly between JNH's more contemporary period music and Purcell's original period pieces.

I think that's one of JNH's best scores. His contribution to that film's music is so consistently good from start to finish. It blends really well with the period music, but is so dramatic and beautiful. Great stuff!

NP - Standard Operating Procedure - Danny Elfman

Goodness, Elfman's writing sure has come a long way. Comparing this with some of his early stuff, it's just on a different level. I love the melodies of his older scores, but the complexity, technicality, and intricacy of some of his more recent scores is very impressive. I'm not always in the mood for this one, but when I am it's pretty satisfying.

SOP is a fantastic score, and one of the best he's done in the last 10 years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Winnie The Pooh - Henry Jackman
    Oh how I wish this score had an extra 20-30 minutes of material focusing mainly on adaption of the main themes, uninterrupted by mickey-mousing and songs.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    If you like this kind of stuff you'll love this year's CAMELOT (Danna brothers) and of course that other, older Danna score whose title i can't recall right now.....have you already heard Camelot?

Well, well.
    Hunted both Restoration and Camelot down and ordered them.
    Thanks, D.!

FalkirkBairn wrote
    I need to inject some passion into my comments rather than just talking facts a lot of the time.

I would have commented, but I'd think you'd get sick by me being passionately negative all of the time.
    So I was just waiting until something came along I could gush over.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN CHILD - John Barry

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Hans Zimmer - The Da Vinci Code

Great album.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2011 edited
    A thank you to Martijn for reminding me I had this beer

NP : BARBARELLA - Bob Crewe & Charles Fox

Funkadelic bubbleishousness cool

( oh yeah, to hell with this being a "guilty" pleasure ) punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROMEO & JULIET - Nino Rota

Sublime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROMEO & JULIET - Nino Rota

Sublime!

Sublime is to small a word to describe it! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A perfect word for such a sublime work. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

I blame Martijn.
  6. BTW, isn't it time for a new thread?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    BTW, isn't it time for a new thread?

Well, no one has a monopoly on starting new threads so nothing to stop you starting it Pawel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We continue here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn