• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011
    Umm... that's a odd thing to say? How come?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. All the King's Men - James Horner

This is why, Erik. Pay close attention to the final cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's not a valid answer. What is it about comedy scores that turns you off? Is it music from comedy films in general or comedic styled music... if that makes any sense?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. It probably stems from my indifference to comedy in general. I like the occasional comedic film and sitcom, but I really just prefer drama.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sooooooo.... if you get a straight dramatic score from a comedy... say Airplane... then you won't listen to it because the score is associated with a comedy?

-Erik-
  3. I would probably listen to that. I just don't care for a lot of frivolity in music (or in general, I'm kind of a dry person IRL). I think of a lot of music that's written for animated films as one example.
  4. One very prominent exception to that rule, however, would be Fantastic Mr. Fox. But even that got pretty somber towards the end.
  5. On that note...

The Man Without a Face - Horner

I forgot how lovely this was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Thing - Ennio Morricone

This score is soooo depressing! Yet, .......it's sooooo good! So desolate sounding. So atmospheric.
    I used to play it all the time in my teens. I played the LP to death, much to my parent's chagrin!
    I even used tracks like "Bestiality" in a film I made in 84 called "IT".
    It was a kind of alien horror video about a foot long grub that chases me around the house, eventually lays eggs in me and kills me as they spurt out of my guts etc. Nothing very original. But geez it was fun!

Was Playing: The Thing - Marco Beltrami

I'm quite impressed with this one! Great orchestral textures and layers that make it an interesting listen.
    Need to play it again soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FACE/OFF (John Powell)

Very Zimmer, but with elements of great things to come, like the choral music. I still think this remains one of Powell's best.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote

Very Zimmer, but with elements of great things to come, like the choral music. I still think this remains one of Powell's best.

my brother will agree on you there that is is one of Powell's best

I of course like his whole repertoire
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Atham wrote

This score is soooo depressing! Yet, .......it's sooooo good! So desolate sounding. So atmospheric.
    I used to play it all the time in my teens. I played the LP to death, much to my parent's chagrin!
    It was a kind of alien horror video about a foot long grub that chases me around the house, eventually lays eggs in me and kills me as they spurt out of my guts etc. Nothing very original. But geez it was fun!

Sounds like my kind of movie. Upload to youtube, perhaps?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote

Good score, but it sounds more like a Zimmer score to me than a Powell score. I think Antz was the first score where Powell's own voice became really apparent, so being a Powell-nut I tend to prefer his latter stuff.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    plindboe wrote
    Atham wrote

Sounds like my kind of movie. Upload to youtube, perhaps?

Peter smile

Might just do that.

Although, what remains now is a truncated version transferred from beta to VHS. Pretty damn bad quality!
  7. plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote

Good score, but it sounds more like a Zimmer score to me than a Powell score. I think Antz was the first score where Powell's own voice became really apparent, so being a Powell-nut I tend to prefer his latter stuff.

Peter smile

Not a Powell nut myself, his style after the year 2000 became so hectic and busy and I can't listen to it for more than 10 minutes.

But his Face/Off is an awesome action score in the mold of Zimmer. And I like quite a bit of 90s Zimmer.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Want to kill myself with that score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Just sharpen the edges of the CD and knock yourself out, baby!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Just sharpen the edges of the CD and knock yourself out, baby!

That should do the trick !!!! shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ear-bleeding to death whilst listening to it looks less painful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree with you D.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RESTORATION (James Newton Howard/Henry Purcell)

Very underrated baroque score that blends perfectly between JNH's more contemporary period music and Purcell's original period pieces.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked
    Ooo...sounds right up my alley!
    I'll have a lookout for that one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

I bought it back in the late 90's and it's been a keeper ever since, despite collection cut-downs.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

Tim Burden did a James Newton Howard show for me a little while back and sampled some of Howard's Restoration.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1021

It's at the end of the program so you'll have to wait a bit for the full show to load before to can skip to the end.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods

It has been YEARS since I've listened to this score. It hasalmost been the same amount of time since I've seen the film. I do remember really enjoying Morricone's score (especially at this time of the year) and remember the film being one of the finest horror films ever made. I really need to revisit the film this Halloween season.

As for the score, I'm spinning the new re-recording which is surprisingly quite remarkable! I love the John Carpenteresque pulse heard in the "Main Title/Desolation." That element can be found in some of Carpenter's best horror scores (Halloween/Prince of Darkness) and keeps the score moving forward. I love the electronic elements (which Carpenter asked Morricone to do AFTER writing a more orchestral score the first time around) that blends seamlessly with the organic orchestral elements. However, the orchestral elements in this recording are all samples... but a dare you to tell the difference between these samples and the live orchestral cues from the original soundtrack recording. Amazing technology!

Who would have thought it but this could go down as one of the most faithful re-recordings of all time! A big round of applause for everyone evolved in this project; the Buysoundtrax team, producer Alan Howarth and arranger Larry Hopkins. I'm recording my Halloween show today and this most certainly will be the headliner. One of the most pleasant surprises of the year! Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE THING

Great score! Great film!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I've started the process of making a Halloween audio special for everybody. So, kicking off, I am selecting cues from various scores. Right now I am refreshing my memory to Graeme Revell's good, unreleased score to "Psycho IV".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote

Hey, perhaps we could kill ourself together.

Horrible synthy death. Thank God the only other thing he has done close to this is Just Visiting. Everything past that is mostly orchestra, or at least, listenable synth stuff (Antz).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

If you like this kind of stuff you'll love this year's CAMELOT (Danna brothers) and of course that other, older Danna score whose title i can't recall right now.....have you already heard Camelot?
  10. Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Hey, perhaps we could kill ourself together.

Horrible synthy death. Thank God the only other thing he has done close to this is Just Visiting. Everything past that is mostly orchestra, or at least, listenable synth stuff (Antz).

You know Freejack would get married to it...

;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.