• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. COURAGE UNDER FIRE - JAMES HORNER

It has its share of music that is worth it. The thrilling action cue at the beginning is the perfect opener and the sad long cue at the end a great way to end it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011
    NP: BEETLEJUICE (Danny Elfman)

My favourite score from 1988.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Halloween - John Carpenter

Listening to the more recent "anniversary" version at the moment: the one with the original soundtrack and the dialogue.

It had been so long since I had listened to the original release from Varese when this came out I had forgotten just how much had been changed by Carpenter for the album release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've always loved the HALLOWEEN theme cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    COURAGE UNDER FIRE - JAMES HORNER

It has its share of music that is worth it. The thrilling action cue at the beginning is the perfect opener and the sad long cue at the end a great way to end it.

not one of my favourites, but indeed, it has its moments
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Halloween - John Carpenter

Listening to the more recent "anniversary" version at the moment: the one with the original soundtrack and the dialogue.

It had been so long since I had listened to the original release from Varese when this came out I had forgotten just how much had been changed by Carpenter for the album release.

Carpenter surely knows how to come up with a theme that sticks in the mind smile
    but dialogue? confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. The inclusion of dialogue is a bit disappointing. Luckily it appears mostly when the music takes a bit of a back seat or in dialogue-only tracks. This CD is just finishing and I am now going to give the original Varese album a spin...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011 edited
    NP: We're Back - A Dinosaur's Story - James Horner

There's some unexpectedly mature writing in here considering the lightweight subject matter.

And kazoos, of course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Green!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011
    Haha!

NP: Looking for Richard - Howard Shore

Some bleak music for a dark and wet morning in London. No-one does bleak quite as well as Shore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mars Needs Moms John Powell

My favourite score of the year so far. 'Gribble's Loss' and 'The Sacrifice' are probably some of the most poignent pieces of music I've heard from Powell. I'd have a hard time choosing between this and How To Train Your Dragon... I fear I may be alone in that respect (this has a much better recording at least).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote

My favourite score of the year so far. 'Gribble's Loss' and 'The Sacrifice' are probably some of the most poignent pieces of music I've heard from Powell. I'd have a hard time choosing between this and How To Train Your Dragon... I fear I may be alone in that respect (this has a much better recording at least).

No hard time for me... Mars Needs Moms a clear winner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Chaplin - John Barry

Fabulous score which deftly mixes the drama with humour. Absolute killer of a main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited
    NP: THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (Alfred Newman)

I would have preferred a condensed presentation of this 2CD set, but it's a great score nonetheless. Beautiful, albeit on-the-nose "Hollywood religiousity".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE SONG OF BERNADETTE (Alfred Newman)

I would have preferred a condensed presentation of this 2CD set, but it's a great score nonetheless. Beautiful, albeit on-the-nose "Hollywood religiousity".

I haven't listened to it for years but it's probably my favourite Newman. Would also love a condensed release, though - certainly wouldn't have been years since I listened to it if that were the case.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

'ello mate, how are ya!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven is back!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Steven is back!

Tis mere rumour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

'ello mate, how are ya!?

Surviving! (Mostly on noodles and water.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote

By candle light?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven is back!

Tis mere rumour.

Let's keep it it among us then. For now.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

By candle light?

No! But one day I might be able to afford candles! cheesy ... cheesy ... sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : L'AVION - Gabriel Yared

Beautiful, a delicious score! ( yeah, I'm hungry...but not for noodles )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

Just as I predicted, this is probably the closest that Newman will get to scoring an action/thriller film. As such, it's pretty damn good. "One More Parcel" and "Elsa Roget" are definite highlights. Overall, a welcome and much-needed return from one of Hollywood's best.

What about THE HELP ? Did you like it?

Yeah, I liked The Help a lot. I missed those Newman strings.

It is wonderful indeed I am sure it will work wonders in the film too. Anyone watched it yet ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : L'AVION - Gabriel Yared

Beautiful, a delicious score! ( yeah, I'm hungry...but not for noodles )

It is gorgeous . Miss yared.

Steven how are you buddy ? Fill us in what have you been up to all this time ? What news ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Neilbucket wrote
    Southall wrote
    Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

Film music perfection.

I had not heard this score so upon reading this went online and sampled a few tracks. Then I ordered a copy - beautiful stuff!

Cheers!

One of the best scores ever written I am glad
    More people are finding out.

DreamTheater wrote
    WARHAMMER 40.000: SPACE MARINE - CRIS VELASCO, SASCHA DIKICIYAN

Wow, move over Jablonsky, this is how Gears of War 3 should've sounded, instead of the repetitive nature of the final product. Dark disonnant, ballsy action scoring with plenty of oomph. I like the sound of this, it's a bit Reign of Fire in places. And it's filled with these great outbursts of little motifs here and there.

Velasco and Dikiciyan are two guys from the God of War game series, and their music on those was as great as it was memorable. I'm especially fond of Velasco's use of percussion.

I think I'm going to order this... Not all out epic and glorious as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow but a pleasant bit of action scoring this turns out to be.

This is a very good game score indeed in contrast to gears if war 3
    Which is absolutely horrible.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN COMPASS - Alexandre Desplat

I really really like this score, a superb listen with plenty to get your ears around.
  6. NP: Halloween II - John Carpenter

"In association with Alan Howarth." This is a good example of how a score needs more than a great theme to be a good score. For this score is a poor relation of the original one. The ditching of the piano for a purely synth score was a bad idea.

A lot of the synth choices are grating and are piercing electronic noise rather than being interesting to listen to. These choices even make the familiar thematic material rather uninteresting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Drango - Elmer Bernstein

A fabulous early Bernstein score. Great main theme, some very dynamic action music.
  7. It is good to see so much Bernstein being released recently. But I am finding that a lot of these scores are not particularly interesting to me.