• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    If that.

Which is less than the number of references I spot in HP 7.2 (not counting the tracking in of Williams cues).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    He manages to pull that so long? He must be into Yoga or Buddhism secrets.

You're trying to say tantric yoga.

Got any tips ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Got any tips ?

Practice your breathing skill and go all in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahaha !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Southall wrote
    If that.

I'm sure there's more. Probably 5 in total.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Got any tips ?

There's the Will Ferrel SNL method...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    If that.

Which is less than the number of references I spot in HP 7.2 (not counting the tracking in of Williams cues).

I think both Desplat and Doyle have more sutble nods than direct quotes of the full melody.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. KevinSmith wrote
    Harry Potter 7.5 - Alexandre Desplat

First time listening to it, I think this score is a big improvement over Part 1. The action is better done, the dramatic moments seem more focused and the emotion of this being the last Harry Potter score is there. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of thematic presence (for all the crap that people gave Doyle about his score, Goblet of Fire had plenty of Hedwig references, where Part 2 only has like three in total).

Desplat delivered a good one here.

Part 2 had like 10 moments with references of Hedwig's theme. In Dragon Flight, A New Headmaster, In The Chamber Of Secrets, Battlefield, The Diadem, Snape's Demise, Harry's Sacrifice, Procession and Showdown. That, without counting the theme being tracked from previous films, to represent Harry's return to Hogwarts (Desplat said that he only made some references of the theme in Part 1 because he represented the trio's lost of childhood and innocence. Though there's a unused brass rendition of the Hedwig's theme, mixed with Voldemort's theme, for the Harry To Malfoy Manor demo cue) and giving the music some full circle from the first film.

But, in Part 2 there's a lot of thematic presence. Lily's theme is the main theme of the film, the Battle of Hogwarts's theme, Desplat uses and adapts to represent Hogwarts's students (Statues, Courtyard Apocalypse) and Voldemort's armies (Battlefield, Showdown) in the battle. And there's the Order of the Phoenix's theme, representing Neville, the Horcrux theme (which it was used at Part 1 as a theme for the locket), the Dumbledore's theme, and the Deathly Hallows's theme (the last two aren't in the disc).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You guys know your Harry Potter, that's for sure!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. INDY & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM - EL MAESTRO MAGNIFICO !!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the most fun I've heard from the man. Quite possibly his most energetic score he's ever done? I think so.

Whenever I start listening to this expanded release I know I'll be having a HELL OF A GREAT TIME. punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

I love the muscular and tender sound that Jerry was able to incorporate into the score. And how thematically driven it is, using melodies from the songs and integrating with his own ideas. Great action cues too.
  6. Mulan is great stuff! He truly was the master of thematic development and how to consistently use themes throughout a score so they always made sense for the scene and in your head.

Jerry has only done two animated scores and both of them are among my favourites of everything he has done.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    Mulan is great stuff! He truly was the master of thematic development and how to consistently use themes throughout a score so they always made sense for the scene and in your head.

Jerry has only done two animated scores and both of them are among my favourites of everything he has done.

Just one Goldsmith animation score for me. I couldn't get into NIMH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Lawrence of Arabia

I never have heard or watched the movie.

now both things are in my all time top 15. Movie and score.

What a terrific achievement for film music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Mulan is great stuff! He truly was the master of thematic development and how to consistently use themes throughout a score so they always made sense for the scene and in your head.

I'll take NIMH over Mulan ( I do enjoy Mulan a lot ), it's probably because it's so influenced by the likes of Ravel and Debussy, two of my all time favourite composers, there are certain aspects of NIMH I don't like much, particularly some OTT blaring brass work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Lawrence of Arabia

I never have heard or watched the movie.

now both things are in my all time top 15. Movie and score.

What a terrific achievement for film music!

Good man Jordi, this work is AWESOME in the correct sense of the word, a magnificent film music achievement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'll take NIMH over Mulan ( I do enjoy Mulan a lot ), it's probably because it's so influenced by the likes of Ravel and Debussy, two of my all time favourite composers, there are certain aspects of NIMH I don't like much, particularly some OTT blaring brass work.

Admittedly, I've heard NIMH only once. But I'm a small fan of Ravel and Debussy so I'll try to listen to it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Vice versa, I never liked NIMH (and proceeded to sell it off), while MULAN is one of my alltime favourite Goldsmiths.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think both are too diferent to be compared.

NIMH is a much more serious score. With a really deep choral composition and a dense and agressive orchestrations (typical from the goldsmith of that era). I could have problems to choose between NIMH and Legend, thought. I don't like NIMH's theme, and I don't like Legend's Goblins synthetiser. Anyway, I think that both are some of the most creative music ever composed.

Mulan it's much more...Goldsmith's 90. with his cool rythm and his more accessible themes. I must be the only person in the world who prefer much more the official Disney album over the long bootleg.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think both are too diferent to be compared.

NIMH is a much more serious score. With a really deep choral composition and a dense and agressive orchestrations (typical from the goldsmith of that era). I could have problems to choose between NIMH and Legend, thought. I don't like NIMH's theme, and I don't like Legend's Goblins synthetiser. Anyway, I think that both are some of the most creative music ever composed.

Mulan it's much more...Goldsmith's 90. with his cool rythm and his more accessible themes. I must be the only person in the world who prefer much more the official Disney album over the long bootleg.

YES YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD* WHO PREFER THE DISNEY ALBUM

I love the the Complete version because you can really hear how each theme is developed and arranged. The awesome growling stabbing brass musical introduction to the main baddie is completely worth it.

*and Thor. wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Admittedly, I've heard NIMH only once. But I'm a small fan of Ravel and Debussy so I'll try to listen to it again.

I'll revise what I said, overall I prefer MULAN but it is NIMH that has particular tracks which I enjoy more than anything on the MULAN score ( I hope I'm making sense )....and yes, the complete score is definitely better than the Disney release. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I actually had the expanded MULAN boot once. Disliked it, and have been on the lookout for a cheap original release ever since.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I expect you'll have no problem once an official expanded MULAN has been released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Battlestar Galactica Suite (orginal) on the Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond Vol. 2 disc.

Terrific stuff.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE LAST AIRBENDER - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

A score that works because of its moments of great JNH composition, mainly the beginning and end. I've got a problem to keep interested in the album's middle part though. Overall it's an enjoyable score, but I'd say it's not as rewarding as some of his early, more melodic work in film.

i'm with you on this one, but it's a masterpiece if you compare it with Green Lantern
    What a disappointing year it's been for JNH

Yeah, ten years or more ago he would have given knock out scores for these films. He seems to have lost inspiration somewhere.

Indeed! Personally, the last great grand symphonic cue Howard has written was for The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep. The combined cues of "There's No Monster / Saving Crusoe / The Net / The Jump / End of the Story" is magical!

-Erik-

Excellent score, that is.

I was disappointed by The Last Airbender on CD; when I was out at Comic-Con in 2010, I met John Ottman at the La-La Land booth and he was talking about that score and how, due to the musicians associations and the releasing companies tight purse strings, major sections of JNH's choir tracks were omitted from the final score package. A real shame.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011 edited
    BEN-HUR | miklos Rozsa

Inspired by Martijn's track on Facebook, this had to be played again.

Because it is so good. Most of the tracks on this 40 minute Decca recording are just fantastic. I never understand why I rarely (a few times a year) play it.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    BEN-HUR | miklos Rozsa

Because it is so good. Most of the tracks on this 40 minute Decca recording are just fantastic. I never understand why I rarely (a few times a year) play it.

It works the other way around for me, with only a very few exceptions I play recent stuff and then completely understand why I never play it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    BEN-HUR | miklos Rozsa

Because it is so good.

smile

Yes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What's with NP's on Facebook?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Debt - T Newman

Not one of his best.