• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011 edited
    WARHAMMER 40.000: SPACE MARINE - CRIS VELASCO, SASCHA DIKICIYAN

Wow, move over Jablonsky, this is how Gears of War 3 should've sounded, instead of the repetitive nature of the final product. Dark disonnant, ballsy action scoring with plenty of oomph. I like the sound of this, it's a bit Reign of Fire in places. And it's filled with these great outbursts of little motifs here and there.

Velasco and Dikiciyan are two guys from the God of War game series, and their music on those was as great as it was memorable. I'm especially fond of Velasco's use of percussion.

I think I'm going to order this... Not all out epic and glorious as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow but a pleasant bit of action scoring this turns out to be.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

This score keeps calling my name. It's one of those rare scores that you can play over and over again no matter what mood you are in! It's one of my most played scores... EVER! Plus, it's my son's favourite as well!

DreamTheater wrote
    WARHAMMER 40.000: SPACE MARINE - CRIS VELASCO, SASCHA DIKICIYAN

To my surprise this one came in the mail today. Looking forward to giving it a listen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

I decree that this is now and forevermore an awesome 5 star score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

This score keeps calling my name. It's one of those rare scores that you can play over and over again no matter what mood you are in! It's one of my most played scores... EVER! Plus, it's my son's favourite as well!

Looks like we finally have a mutual favorite. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011
    Timmer wrote

It's no Rocketeer... lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's no Rocketeer... lol

-Erik-

Indeed not, tis BETTER! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : L'AVION - Gabriel Yared

A stunningly beautiful score, Yared is one of the best composers still working IMO.
  2. Timmer wrote

Nah!!! It's a merely a four... which makes it very good, but it's no Krull. Or Trek 2 / 3
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

One of my all-time favourite scores. I have a very low self-esteem, but somehow this music makes me feel better with myself. I don't know how and why, but it does just that. smile

Ethereal soundscape and what I call an introvert epic. It has its fair share of "epic" music, but does it in a very introvert way, as in the higher intensity and more epic (and actually quite swelling) is still going somehow inwards rather than openly outwards (which is a staple of James Horner, especially in that era), there is still something somehow psychological going in the score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. There's something to Zimmer's early style that still makes it my favourite as well. Hearing that cool theme from 'True Romance' again today made me think in fondness of the time when Hans was all about melodies. Simple melodies, but very effective and likeable.

I think Regarding Henry is one such score in that early style that can really make the tears form in the corner of my eyes. Its melodies are simply gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

One of my all-time favourite scores. I have a very low self-esteem, but somehow this music makes me feel better with myself. I don't know how and why, but it does just that. smile

Ethereal soundscape and what I call an introvert epic. It has its fair share of "epic" music, but does it in a very introvert way, as in the higher intensity and more epic (and actually quite swelling) is still going somehow inwards rather than openly outwards (which is a staple of James Horner, especially in that era), there is still something somehow psychological going in the score.

Remains my favourite Zimmer too.

And funny you should post this now, as I just rewatched the excellent documentary BURMA VJ again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

Just as I predicted, this is probably the closest that Newman will get to scoring an action/thriller film. As such, it's pretty damn good. "One More Parcel" and "Elsa Roget" are definite highlights. Overall, a welcome and much-needed return from one of Hollywood's best.

What about THE HELP ? Did you like it?

I did, but it's been a while since I think he's been on top form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

Film music perfection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Das Perfume (Perfume-The Story of a Murder) - one of my all-time favorite scores...just beautiful.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Kung Fu Panda Duology - Hans Zimmer & John Powell

Just excellent stuff.
  5. Southall wrote

Film music perfection.

Indeed. And proof it doesn't need to be a long album to be a great score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Southall wrote

Film music perfection.

love this score.

One of those rare scores that has a hypnotic effect on me. It's because of how Kilar writes these sweeping melodies in repetitive, yet oh so infectious ways.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011
    Southall wrote

Film music perfection.

It is!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011 edited
    Neilbucket wrote
    NP: Das Perfume (Perfume-The Story of a Murder) - one of my all-time favorite scores...just beautiful.

One of the very best 00's scores, superb stuff!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nah!!! It's a merely a four... which makes it very good, but it's no Krull. Or Trek 2 / 3

No surprise that I agree with your 5 stars for those great scores but as Michael points out in a few posts above, it doesn't have to be long to be great, BRAINSTORM is a definite 5 star, listenable from begining to end with not a moment wasted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THELMA & LOUISE (Hans Zimmer)

Finally arrived! Never remembered it as this "twangy", but I definitely like what I'm hearing. Pete Haycock is channelling Dave Gilmour.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote

Finally arrived! Never remembered it as this "twangy", but I definitely like what I'm hearing. Pete Haycock is channelling Dave Gilmour.

I'm so envious! I have it ordered but it still hasn't shipped! shocked

Oh well I've been waiting all these years now, a little longer won't matter.

And I'm not going to download it, no. That's just heresy...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WHERE EAGLES DARE - Ron Goodwin

balls to the wall in-your-face muscular film scoring at it's finest...BRILLIANT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm so envious! I have it ordered but it still hasn't shipped! shocked

Same here! crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Thor wrote

Mine arrived yesterday as well. Tracks 10 and 12 are really very good. This is a good score and contains several cues that are a little different from Zimmer's traditional sounds.

NP: Doctor Who Series 3: Murray Gold
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

No surprise that I agree with your 5 stars for those great scores but as Michael points out in a few posts above, it doesn't have to be long to be great, BRAINSTORM is a definite 5 star, listenable from begining to end with not a moment wasted.

Agreed. One of Horner's finest accomplishments!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Greystoke, Legend of Tarzan - John Scott

It has been a while since I gave this a spin, but it's a very good score.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    Southall wrote

Film music perfection.

I had not heard this score so upon reading this went online and sampled a few tracks. Then I ordered a copy - beautiful stuff!

Cheers!
    Insert witty line here
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Neilbucket wrote
    Southall wrote

Film music perfection.

I had not heard this score so upon reading this went online and sampled a few tracks. Then I ordered a copy - beautiful stuff!

Cheers!

You have chosen.... wisely! beer