• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited
    Nope sorry, Largo Winch wins.

Although not the second. Funnily that's my least favourite Desplat score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    I like Benjamin Button so you can count me in.

smile

There's something about that score really works for me. It's very relaxing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011
    Anthony wrote
    Nope sorry, Largo Winch wins.

Although not the second. Funnily that's my least favourite Desplat score.

Largo Winch is my second favourite Desplat score.
  1. Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

smile

I liked it, but the other two scores have a type of tragic romanticism that Desplat does so well. Plus, there are those waltzes. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

smile

I can understand what you mean. There is a slow flow about it, as if time which is it's main theme, "glides" if I may use this word to express the feeling it creates.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I liked it, but the other two scores have a type of tragic romanticism that Desplat does so well. Plus, there are those waltzes. cool

Tragic romanticism! You my friend have nailed it! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. Stavroula wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Tragic romanticism! You my friend have nailed it! smile

La Fille du Puisatier and L'Ennemi Intime have it, too. I think he's able to express himself in that manner more in his French scores than the American ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Desplat and I are no friends....although I really enjoy The Golden Compass.

Generally at best he manages me really wanting to listen to Delerue afterwards.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Seriously, I'm obsessed over tracks like "The End of Love", "The Angel", "Souvenirs", and "A Travers Champs."
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn

As far as I know you listen to Delerue mostly when you are not feeling to well. Does Desplat have that effect on you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

The Golden Compass is my third favourite Desplat score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    As far as I know you listen to Delerue mostly when you are not feeling to well. Does Desplat have that effect on you?

Not at all.
    I just find in him a lot of Delerue's style and flair that nevertheless seldomly translates (for me) to more than well executed craft: technically very proficient but rather alooft. For the emotional wallop I'll turn to Delerue.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I need to give this one another try. I couldn't get into it when it came out, although Sky Ferry is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    Steven wrote
    My favourite Desplat score is Benjamin Button.

Who's with me? Up top! *high five*

Nobody? Shit. Just me then.

I'm with you - of his many fine scores, this is his finest!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

This is a recent purchase for me though I have long been a fan of Vangelis (since I first watched Blade Runner back in the early 80's - a CLASSIC film).

As for Delerue - I adore his scoring. I recently ordered (for cheap) Man Trouble from Buysoundtax, though his score for Agnes of God - so achingly melancholic - will always be my favourite of his!
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rugby World Cup Christopher Gordon

"As though John Williams scored Conan", as Michael once described it. Words that have stuck with me for perhaps my favourite Christopher Gordon 'score'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Neilbucket wrote
    NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise - Vangelis

This is a recent purchase for me though I have long been a fan of Vangelis (since I first watched Blade Runner back in the early 80's - a CLASSIC film).

As for Delerue - I adore his scoring. I recently ordered (for cheap) Man Trouble from Buysoundtax, though his score for Agnes of God - so achingly melancholic - will always be my favourite of his!

Both brilliant picks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DA VINCI CODE (Hans Zimmer)

Bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. It works awfully in the movie though, except Chevaliers de Sangreal.

I do adore the album, some of the best music Zimmer has ever written, on a purely technical level, I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It works awfully in the movie though, except Chevaliers de Sangreal.

I do adore the album, some of the best music Zimmer has ever written, on a purely technical level, I think.

Really? I think it's fine in the film too.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Hans turns 3 guys talking in a house into an impending apocalypse. Never a good idea. I blame half of it on Ron Howard though. Not the subtlest narrator ever.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    Poetically put, Pawel.

Hans' predilection towards Sturm und Drang is commendable, but at times a little fatiguing.
    However, for the actual apocalypse he can provide the score as far as I'm concerned (in collaboration with Elliot Goldenthal).
  6. NP: A Better Life - Desplat

Another one of Desplat's best. I've watched the film a few hours ago and I've noticed how terrible was the chronological order in the score release, especially with those mastering errors. I love how he manage to adapt his European sensibilities with a Latin touch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans turns 3 guys talking in a house into an impending apocalypse. Never a good idea. I blame half of it on Ron Howard though. Not the subtlest narrator ever.

I almost want to watch the film just to see how funny this might be. I listened to the novel a few years ago and found it mildly entertaining in a most obvious, almost clinical sort of way.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

I need to give this one another try. I couldn't get into it when it came out, although Sky Ferry is awesome.

I was playing Golden Compass earlier, it's a great score IMO, I've listened to it numerous times and it rewards on repeated listens.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: A Better Life - Desplat

Another one of Desplat's best. I've watched the film a few hours ago and I've noticed how terrible was the chronological order in the score release, especially with those mastering errors. I love how he manage to adapt his European sensibilities with a Latin touch.

"Coming Home" is an especially lovely track. Yet another example of that tragic romanticism I mentioned.
  8. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

"Coming Home" is an especially lovely track. Yet another example of that tragic romanticism I mentioned.

Yeah. And it's perfect at the end of the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Arnold

A great Bond score IMO.

However, it does omit the best cue from the entire film which can be heard here in all it's AWESOMENESS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3lPxwct2sk

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

smile

love it too. Great pace . Damn what has happened to us ? We are getting soft ! And i am an apple lover now !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

Yeah. And it's perfect at the end of the film.
    have you heard his "well digger's daughter " la fille pulsadier" something score from this year ? It is absolutely amazing
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.