• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited
    Atham wrote
    NP: The Cape - Bear McCreary

Once again, I love it!

Really? shocked
    Crikey.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Timmer wrote
    Has anyone seen YOR, HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE?

Sure. He posts at FSM.

;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    You intrugue me! cheesy

Quite contrarily to me who -having actually listened to the score- remains untrigued.

face-palm-mt

You must have listened to the MIDI-version then... rolleyes

No, I just thought it's your usual set of Sturm und Drang again.
    Loads of massive cues with thousand-head choir and a twohundred-head orchestra going full-out on ideas that are generally not too intriguing.

I'm sure it works a treat in the game, though.
    But I didn't find much originality anywhere.
    Don't get me wrong: it isn't bad! And it's a fun listen.
    It's just not really ...well...good.

But mate, this is tons better than 80% of the stuff I've heard in ten years of film music. SERIOUSLY !!!! And you can't argue the quality in the writing and the ideas the composer has had to create this majestic sound in nearly every cue. I love the use of choir in such a grand way and this really is the closest I've heard choral music sound when compared to Shore's masterpieces.

And what is Sturm and Drang? To me it sounds Ballsy and Yowza!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. justin boggan wrote
    Timmer wrote

Sure. He posts at FSM.

;-)

Shirley YOR kidding?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    Timmer wrote

I haven't. Nor do I want to.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    But mate, this is tons better than 80% of the stuff I've heard in ten years of film music. SERIOUSLY !!!!

Ever since 2001? uhm
    While I would agree (totally, even!) that game score music is starting to become THE creative outlet for many afilm composer (over film music proper), there's a dozen or so scores I could name that easily surpass this one in sheer creativity and originality!

And you can't argue the quality in the writing and the ideas the composer has had to create this majestic sound in nearly every cue. I love the use of choir in such a grand way and this really is the closest I've heard choral music sound when compared to Shore's masterpieces.

Meh. It's rather generic to me.
    It's like one of those trailer music CDs.
    It's very cool at first, but really startes wearing you down after thundering on for four minutes or so.

And what is Sturm and Drang? To me it sounds Ballsy and Yowza!

biggrin
    That's actually a pretty good translation.
    It's an early Romantic movement that originated (mainly) in Germany, in which the unreined emotion was given free play in all its high and low excesses. Characters in books or pieces of music reflected those extremes continuously, especially in the "minor key" (negative extremes far more often were emphasised than positive ones....probably because they make for better drama wink ).
    It all quickly gets to be a bit tiresome to be honest.
    It's like having to listen to someone with a bipolar disorder for six hours! wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It didn't do much for me either, like Martijn said, it was just like generic trailer music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Timmer wrote

Sure. He posts at FSM.

;-)

Shirley YOR kidding?

I'm not, and don't call me Shirley.

You can, however, call me a Shirley Walker fan. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: A Better Life - Desplat

Another one of Desplat's best. I've watched the film a few hours ago and I've noticed how terrible was the chronological order in the score release, especially with those mastering errors. I love how he manage to adapt his European sensibilities with a Latin touch.

"Coming Home" is an especially lovely track. Yet another example of that tragic romanticism I mentioned.

Yeah. And it's perfect at the end of the film.
    have you heard his "well digger's daughter " la fille pulsadier" something score from this year ? It is absolutely amazing

Yes, it's lovely, in that mournful way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Medal Of Honor - The Giacchino Scores (from the MOH Boxset)

There are times when I just want to listen to fun, old fashon action music and Giacchino nails it all perfectly with this collection! Each game score has something new to offer while maintaining a consistant musical style. All good cues from start to finish.
    Chris Lennertz contributed to the franchise just as nicely too IMHO. I might play his albums later I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011 edited
    I've long had those Medal of Honor scores on my to-get list. I've hesitated, however, as another related Giacchino work hasn't done much for me. I bought Secret Weapons Over Normandy and find it *checks to see if Erik is around* a little tiresome. It's got a great main theme, and a couple of outstanding highlights, but so much action music and so much busy-ness just wears me out. How do the MoH scores compare?

Lately I've been playing a few MSM releases.

Alexandria - Kind of quiet and calm. I wasn't really in the mood for it, I guess, because I found it pretty dull this time around.

Home of Dark Butterflies - my favorite MSM release. This score has some excellent stuff in it. Great themes and very wonderful moments of swelling orchestral grandeur.

I Capture the Castle - This has some nice whimsical music in it. Some tracks are just okay. It's fine music to try to finish my homework assignment to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I really like Secret Weapons Over Normandy but I understand your view of it being too "busy" all the time. I find Giacchino's MOH scores to have a better ballance of full on action and quieter cues. Sometimes even beautiful in a melancholy kind of way (see MOH: Frontline). Check out some cues on YouTube and see if it's more to your liking than Secret Wepons.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Atham wrote

Once again, I love it!

Really? shocked
    Crikey.

I went into this thinking it would be another Human Target. In some parts, it's good when it is similar. But others it's just too weird. Not a big fan.
  5. Thomas Newman - The Help

Not his very best work, far from it, but boy, I missed that voice in film music smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Cliffhanger (Trevor Jones)The main theme is majestous, bold and grand that really fits the landscapes of the film and the heroicity of the characters.

The villain and the action motifs are also superb, really effective and memorable. For me this score is the closest to what Kamen did for Die hard series. A really distinctive sound.

I don't know if the Intrada realease is worth to listen, thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Atham wrote

Once again, I love it!

Really? shocked
    Crikey.

I went into this thinking it would be another Human Target. In some parts, it's good when it is similar. But others it's just too weird. Not a big fan.

Same. I wanted to like it, I was looking forward to it ever since I heard the clips months ago. Unfortunately it just doesn't grab my attention like Human Target - at least not so instantly as Human Target did. Pity.

Still, early days yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Cliffhanger (Trevor Jones)The main theme is majestous, bold and grand that really fits the landscapes of the film and the heroicity of the characters.

And more than a little reminiscent of the LAST OF THE MOHICANS theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, but still has his own identity. wink
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote

And the underscore does have slices of Predator.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Thor wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah, but still has his own identity. wink

It rather has the identity of Miklos Rozsa's Spellbound (well, a bit). I don't have any release of this score. I knew I wouldn't listen to the double-CD one but if I saw the single CD release for cheap then I'd get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    You intrugue me! cheesy

Quite contrarily to me who -having actually listened to the score- remains untrigued.

I'm listening to it right now ( wink kiss ) and WOW! Definately my kind of thing!!! punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Atham wrote

Once again, I love it!

Really? shocked
    Crikey.

Same. I wanted to like it, I was looking forward to it ever since I heard the clips months ago. Unfortunately it just doesn't grab my attention like Human Target - at least not so instantly as Human Target did. Pity.

Still, early days yet.

I'm impressed with it. But I also watched the series so I know why the quirky cues are so, um, quirky.
    The show itself has its strengths and weaknesses but McCreary clearly enjoyed the ride while it lasted.
    The thing that's starting to rub on me though with Bear's music is (and I know it's his "sound') the constant thumping of the bass taiko drum. I'd like to see it either pulled back a bit or exchanged for more standard timpani in future projects. Anyway, I've made a single disc version of The Cape score with the more mainstream highlights and it's a great listen!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    Source Code This Guy

An excellent JNH-influenced thriller score with a brilliant main titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If only JNH wrote as good today as the Bacon guy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Source Code This Guy

An excellent JNH-influenced thriller score with a brilliant main titles.

Agreed, but the JNH references weren't the ones that struck me the most (even though they're very real). It was more the 70's urban-funky vibes (think Shire's TAKING OF PELHAM or Lalo Schifrin stuff) and some meters and BASIC INSTINCT-like things that sounded very Goldsmith. Also, there's some very lush, James Horner-like things here and there, such as the end.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sounded like Paycheck to me. Which is excellent news!
  6. Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    You intrugue me! cheesy

I'm listening to it right now ( wink kiss ) and WOW! Definately my kind of thing!!! punk

About Castlevania, you see, what is MEH for some, is WOW for others (me included). I want to see what Araujo comes up with next!

Glad you like it. cool
  7. Somebody say "bacon"?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_iluxQ1IQ

biggrin
  8. SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO - NAOKI SATO & YASUSHI MIYAGAWA

I SO love this music... This is all about melodies, beautiful and exciting. If the first couple of tracks don't make you sit up and smile like a little kid, you might as well skip the rest of the album. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: The Thing (Marco Beltrami) - Very good score which is high praise considering how much I adore Morricone's score for the 1982 film (which is my all-time favourite horror film).
    Insert witty line here