• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It is good to see so much Bernstein being released recently. But I am finding that a lot of these scores are not particularly interesting to me.

Alas and alack, I find the same!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2011
    NP: FIREBIRDS (David Newman)

I love the electronic bits in this score, and the orchestral parts aren't shabby either. This should get a proper release!!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It is good to see so much Bernstein being released recently. But I am finding that a lot of these scores are not particularly interesting to me.

Alas and alack, I find the same!

It's a good time to be a big Bernstein fan. Some are more interesting to me than others. Drango's certainly the strongest of the recent releases (though I am greatly looking forward to getting Summer and Smoke).
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: FIREBIRDS (David Newman)

I love the electronic bits in this score, and the orchestral parts aren't shabby either. This should get a proper release!!

a lot of David Newman scores deserve a proper release
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Now, Summer and Smoke is a definite "yes". But the recent Men In War was a definite "no". The clips for Drango suggests a "no" as well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I ordered Men In War, hasn't arrived yet. I rarely listen to clips - don't find it a reliable way of basing a CD purchase. So I rely mostly on Internet chatter, but of course for this sort of score that only happens at FSM, and at FSM you're only allowed to comment on limited edition soundtrack releases if you think they're utterly incredible (unless of course they're the Varese CD Club, in which case the reverse is true).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Love Happens - Christopher Young

Was reading rumors of an impending rerelease of Young's Jennifer 8 (expanded perhaps) and an official release of The Core and felt the need to enjoy a mix of Young's styles.
    Insert witty line here
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur

Spirited Williams-esque title theme leads us into a score which is packed with non stop action.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. I find audio clips infinitely more reliable than FSM messageboard chatter - as many of my listened-to-only-once CDs will witness.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm yet to really find a reliable way. My CD purchasing has gone down considerably but I still buy most releases, other than seemingly-unnecessary expansions, of certain composers and for now Bernstein is one of them. It won't be long before I stop buying CDs altogether, the saturation point was reached a long time ago and I have far too much already which is good but I never have chance to listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fateless - Ennio Morricone

Stunning; absolutely stunning.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

Just as I predicted, this is probably the closest that Newman will get to scoring an action/thriller film. As such, it's pretty damn good. "One More Parcel" and "Elsa Roget" are definite highlights. Overall, a welcome and much-needed return from one of Hollywood's best.

What about THE HELP ? Did you like it?

Yeah, I liked The Help a lot. I missed those Newman strings.

It is wonderful indeed I am sure it will work wonders in the film too. Anyone watched it yet ?

I saw the film too. It worked pretty well in the film, especially the final cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Driving from Athens to Sparti in the middle of a storm I was in an eastern and middle eastern mood! So in order of playing:
    House of the Flying Daggers
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Prince of Persia
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAYS OF THUNDER (Hans Zimmer)

Fantastic score with plenty of beautiful power anthems and riffs. Sound quality is excellent for a boot, but it should get a proper release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The Crimson Wing: Mystery of the Flamingos | the cinematic orchestra

Lovely score, very laid-back and with a fine main theme, that's also in the song at the end. Small orchestra, with focus on solo's from strings and piano.
    Kazoo
  4. Jim Ware wrote
    NP: We're Back - A Dinosaur's Story - James Horner

There's some unexpectedly mature writing in here considering the lightweight subject matter.

And kazoos, of course.

I like it a lot! The circus cues are great fun. 'Flying Forward in Time' has one of those typically gorgeous melodies only he can write.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

Lovely score, very laid-back and with a fine main theme, that's also in the song at the end. Small orchestra, with focus on solo's from strings and piano.

I like Cinematic Orchestra.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: DAYS OF THUNDER (Hans Zimmer)

Fantastic score with plenty of beautiful power anthems and riffs. Sound quality is excellent for a boot, but it should get a proper release.

Agreed, we need us some of Hans' early work, the kind he's ashamed of, but for the life of me I can't see why he would be ashamed of something so cool.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Bregt wrote

That score is the perfect example of a "feel good" score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Got that right. A relatively recent 'discovery' of mine. Amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS: THE CLASSIC SPIELBERG SCORES

Bloody fantastic John Williams compilation focusing on Hook, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Raiders, Jaws, E.T., Empire of the Sun, 1941 and CE3K. I love albums like these, featuring great re-recordings of various cues.

Though from 1995, it's another recent discovery, this has some stellar concert versions of much loved tracks from these scores. Jaws is particularly awesome, as well as all the selections from Hook. There are some great passionate performances here that stand effortlessly next to the originals.

I'd love a sequel album to this. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Got that right. A relatively recent 'discovery' of mine. Amazing.

The film's well worth watching, too. To complete the trilogy, I've even downloaded the book for my Kindle, though haven't read it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS: THE CLASSIC SPIELBERG SCORES

Bloody fantastic John Williams compilation focusing on Hook, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Raiders, Jaws, E.T., Empire of the Sun, 1941 and CE3K. I love albums like these, featuring great re-recordings of various cues.

Though from 1995, it's another recent discovery, this has some stellar concert versions of much loved tracks from these scores. Jaws is particularly awesome, as well as all the selections from Hook. There are some great passionate performances here that stand effortlessly next to the originals.

I'd love a sequel album to this. cool

One of the best Williams compilations out there, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Painted Veil ~ Alexandre Desplat
    It's a common phrase of us film music lovers to say the we "have fallen in love with the music". It's even more common to express our admiration for a composer by using exesive words about their grandiose style. I know because I've done it often. But there is that music or admiration about a composer that cannot be expressed by words. I don't know how Desplat does it but he seems to be able to touch feelings and thoughts and give them shape, make them exist outside context, like a part of something bigger and yet at the same time single and with a touch of profound sensitivity and -why not-melancholy and loneliness. I haven't felt that more in his work than in The Painted Veil. And the incorporation of Erik Satie's Gnossienne no.1 makes it even more stronger. So yes...I have fallen in love with this.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    was playing... yesterday I think? Super 8 Michael Giacchino

I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the general consensus on scores from the last year, but this is a close second to Mars Needs Moms for me. As fantastic as Giacchino's previous film scores have been, particularly Ratatouille, this feels like a very personal score from Giacchino. Although the film is clearly ET-meets-Close Encounters-meets-The Goonies with a dash of Cloverfield, I'm pretty sure I don't hear any obvious nods to those scores? Like Lost, this is Giacchino's style laid bare. Excellent score for an equally excellent movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    was playing... yesterday I think? Super 8 Michael Giacchino

I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the general consensus on scores from the last year, but this is a close second to Mars Needs Moms for me. As fantastic as Giacchino's previous film scores have been, particularly Ratatouille, this feels like a very personal score from Giacchino. Although the film is clearly ET-meets-Close Encounters-meets-The Goonies with a dash of Cloverfield, I'm pretty sure I don't hear any obvious nods to those scores? Like Lost, this is Giacchino's style laid bare. Excellent score for an equally excellent movie.

Yes. I'm sure you'll be carefully reading all 125,000 posts I've made since you've been gone and, when you do, you'll find one from me almost identical to this. It's his most personal score outside Lost and I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Huh.

Well, erm, I'm sure we'll find a recent score that we vehemently disagree on? Just give it time...?
  7. Stavroula wrote
    NP: The Painted Veil ~ Alexandre Desplat
    It's a common phrase of us film music lovers to say the we "have fallen in love with the music". It's even more common to express our admiration for a composer by using exesive words about their grandiose style. I know because I've done it often. But there is that music or admiration about a composer that cannot be expressed by words. I don't know how Desplat does it but he seems to be able to touch feelings and thoughts and give them shape, make them exist outside context, like a part of something bigger and yet at the same time single and with a touch of profound sensitivity and -why not-melancholy and loneliness. I haven't felt that more in his work than in The Painted Veil. And the incorporation of Erik Satie's Gnossienne no.1 makes it even more stronger. So yes...I have fallen in love with this.

This score is second only to Lust Caution as my favorite Desplat score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My favourite Desplat score is Benjamin Button.

Who's with me? Up top! *high five*

Nobody? Shit. Just me then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I like Benjamin Button so you can count me in.