• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    NP: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Steve Jablonsky

I like the score much much more after seeing the movie. The new thematic materials are a good addition. BUT I'm not talking about the Mind Heist-esque stuff. The inclusion of it didn't work for the scene it accompanies and it's the weakest part of the score, which is a shame since it underscore two major scenes in the movie. As a trilogy score goes, the original character themes doesn't change much from the development done in ROTF. Heck, the movie starts out with music that's tracked in from ROTF. Regardless, I like the score more than I did originally.

A bit off topic, the movie is good but slightly underwhelming. Very impressive visuals, with great effects work as usual under Bay's watchful eye. Sadly, the overall movie is somewhat disappointing under the same eye. Seems like a few storyline/plot development got cut out in the editing process. I hope that Michael Bay will now move onto other, better thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE LAST AIRBENDER - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

A score that works because of its moments of great JNH composition, mainly the beginning and end. I've got a problem to keep interested in the album's middle part though. Overall it's an enjoyable score, but I'd say it's not as rewarding as some of his early, more melodic work in film.

i'm with you on this one, but it's a masterpiece if you compare it with Green Lantern
    What a disappointing year it's been for JNH

Yeah, ten years or more ago he would have given knock out scores for these films. He seems to have lost inspiration somewhere.

Indeed! Personally, the last great grand symphonic cue Howard has written was for The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep. The combined cues of "There's No Monster / Saving Crusoe / The Net / The Jump / End of the Story" is magical!

-Erik-

Excellent score, that is.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'd like to know whether composers really struggle with this feeling? If they somehow feel they've lost inspiration, and are desperate to find their drive again.

But I'm sure he'll churn out something worthy again, it all depends on what project he's getting and if he's feeling inspired to score the hell out of that project.

And the film industry isn't what it used to be, where producers and studio execs make the films nowadays, not the director or composer.

Well indeed; it's a battle out there, a jungle, lots of composers coming in and going out by the day, lots of pressure and time schedules, extreme load of new productions each year, trying to be as financially-successful as never before (with the worldwide financial crisis and the generally gloom atmosphere), strong efforts of echoing and being popular to mostly cinema-going audiences (which affects the music and the movie style), and of course time and needs which suck the fun away. In many instances, you might find yourself - not only in film music of course, just doing something to pay the bills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    lp wrote

I like the score much much more after seeing the movie.

Really? I saw the film before hearing the album and found the opposite.Transformers 3 was so miserable for me that I never even noticed how nice the score was until after I listened to it on its own. If I didn't realize that other people enjoy this kind of film and that consequently it has value for their sakes, I would say its the biggest waste of $200 million in the history of mankind. To me the contrast between the meticulously and brilliantly constructed CGI work and the utter failure of the plot to provoke any kind of emotional involvement with said beautifully-constructed transpirings reminded me of this Shakespeare:

"Transformers 3's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    applause I like it Matt, I like it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

Seriously, i thought it was the composers' synth drafts when i first heard it on cd. It's utterly hideous and horrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    You mean TF3's score D? I can see why you'd hate it, it does sound like synth drafts the way the recording is utterly lifeless and seems like its been put through 1000s of pop music filters. But I like the themes themselves because I'm a sucker for power chords.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    You mean TF3's score D? I can see why you'd hate it, it does sound like synth drafts the way the recording is utterly lifeless and seems like its been put through 1000s of pop music filters. But I like the themes themselves because I'm a sucker for power chords.

Yeah. I am a huge fan of the 1st two scores, but this is just wrong. Rushed and semi-finished with a horrible overall sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A saw roughly 60 second of Transformers 3 while shopping the other day and all I saw was 60 seconds of Michael Bay CGI jizzing on the screen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote

I like the score much much more after seeing the movie.

Really? I saw the film before hearing the album and found the opposite.Transformers 3 was so miserable for me that I never even noticed how nice the score was until after I listened to it on its own. If I didn't realize that other people enjoy this kind of film and that consequently it has value for their sakes, I would say its the biggest waste of $200 million in the history of mankind. To me the contrast between the meticulously and brilliantly constructed CGI work and the utter failure of the plot to provoke any kind of emotional involvement with said beautifully-constructed transpirings reminded me of this Shakespeare:

"Transformers 3's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."

The revelation to me about the score in the movie is how good it supported the visual. With exception to the Mind Heist rip (that ended up being a nullifier to everything good on screen). In general, I find that knowing the kind of feeling that the composer was trying to achieve, and seeing it on screen (and vice versa) is quite important to my listening experience. There were some great vignettes where the music really shined and enhanced my enjoyment.

I don't think the movie was a waste of 200million, since I pretty much saw all of those millions on screen in the pretty visuals. All 200 million dollars too, because the script is almost as bad as ROTF. In term of character development, having Rosie in there and not trying to continue the Mikeala storyline was a mistake since the payoff at the end wasn't quite earned. Optimus' arc with Sentinel Prime is terrible. I blame all the producers on trying push out a new film and not trying to make a better script first. But whatever, Michael Bay should move on with other projects. I certainly won't mind a new Bad Boys 3 or his back-burnered Pain & Gain project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote

Synth wise, it doesn't sound that much different than ROTF. Combining both scores together, you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    A saw roughly 60 second of Transformers 3 while shopping the other day and all I saw was 60 seconds of Michael Bay CGI jizzing on the screen!

-Erik-

Classy. Let's spin that...

The joke is: "Well that depends on how you long you like your pop shot to last"

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    From what I understand Transformers 3 it's a two and half hour Michael Bay wank fest.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He manages to pull that so long? He must be into Yoga or Buddhism secrets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    He manages to pull that so long? He must be into Yoga or Buddhism secrets.

You're trying to say tantric yoga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    From what I understand Transformers 3 it's a two and half hour Michael Bay wank fest.

-Erik-

Seems like a lot of people were interested in the result. spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What ever turns you on I guess.

-Erik-
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    What ever turns you on I guess.

-Erik-

indeed, if the movie gathers more money than it costs, Bay's a genius, no matter if its a wank fest or not.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Box office doesn't mean anything to me anymore. Opening it up is 5000 theatres, charge people $5-$10 extra to see it in IMAX 3D... everything is over kill these days! I would love to see the actual number of tickets sold instead of the financials.

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Box office doesn't mean anything to me anymore. Opening it up is 5000 theatres, charge people $5-$10 extra to see it in IMAX 3D... everything is over kill these days! I would love to see the actual number of tickets sold instead of the financials.

-Erik-

I went to see it in 2D, normal screen. And I enjoyed it no matter what. I don't need a IMAX 3D theater to enjoy my movies, my brother's home stereo system is fine by me

Whatever the expenses, they got it back, so they won, we lost (hey the tagline of the movie) wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Harry Potter 7.5 - Alexandre Desplat

First time listening to it, I think this score is a big improvement over Part 1. The action is better done, the dramatic moments seem more focused and the emotion of this being the last Harry Potter score is there. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of thematic presence (for all the crap that people gave Doyle about his score, Goblet of Fire had plenty of Hedwig references, where Part 2 only has like three in total).

Desplat delivered a good one here.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SAINT OF FORT WASHINGTON (James Newton Howard)

Beautiful, understated (and underrated) synth score with jazz elements!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Princess and the Frog - Randy Newman

I think this has the finest collection of songs in an original film musical since Menken's Hunchback. Very strong score, too. Wish Newman had scored more films (not sure he's going to do many more, if any).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Fair Game - John Powell

There's something about this that I like. Perhaps it's the rhythmic, pulsing soundscape that John has created that makes the score (complete score) an good background listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Die Hard - Michael Kamen

Yummy score. One of my favorite Kamen score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Spartacus - Alex North

Not bad. Not bad at all.
  3. KevinSmith wrote

First time listening to it, I think this score is a big improvement over Part 1. The action is better done, the dramatic moments seem more focused and the emotion of this being the last Harry Potter score is there. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of thematic presence (for all the crap that people gave Doyle about his score, Goblet of Fire had plenty of Hedwig references, where Part 2 only has like three in total).

Desplat delivered a good one here.

Doesn't GOBLET OF FIRE only have 3 references to the Hedwig theme?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  4. KevinSmith wrote

I take HP 7.3 and 7.4 were straight to dvd sequels, that's why I never heard of them?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.