• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011
    Two Brothers - Stephen Warbeck

Easily one of his best scores, much more diverse and appealing than his more critically acclaimed scores (like Shakespeare in Love).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    lp wrote
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

Seems like I'm going back to my Zimmer discography. I'm very disappointed in how synthy the album sounds, especially because the music is so good, but, begrudgingly, it does add somewhat to the new-age-ness of the approach. The action music is largely disappointing, but the Asian-inspired instrumentation, sound design and melodies are typically excellent and that's all that really matter to me.

Addendum

There's a moment in "Red Warrior" where the Zimmer has his Indian singer yell out loud as the orchestra play the main theme, and it never fails to give me goosebumps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SAMURAI is another superb score, Zimmer at what he does best (ethnic-tinged scores).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: She - Max Steiner (the 2007 rerecording)
    Starts off strong and melodic, but quickly descends into Stravinsky-esque rhythmic devices.
    It's very good, that much I can tell, but it's just not the sort of thing that will retain my interest for too long.
    I can probably make do with 5 or 6 tracks from this in my Best Of Steiner playlist.

I like the score but I just had to say that I prefer James Bernard's score to the Hammer remake.

I just had to....

NP : SHE - James Bernard

cool

This has influenced* me to play this...

NP : ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Mario Nascimbene

Incredibly raw, visceral score with some parts more like sound design, it's an amazing, unique and creative score which I've always loved.

*These two films made a big impression on me as a child, my Mum took me to the cinema to watch these on a double bill and both of them gave me nightmares, OMYBC because of the monkey men in the cave that Luana and Tumak hide in ( and still an effective scene all these years later, far scarier than Ray Harryhausen's exciting Dinosaurs which thrilled me no end and sent me on a near never ending childhood oddysey of plasticene creativity ) and the earthquake at the end ( I honestly thought that could happen at any time here in England ) , with SHE it was that pit that slaves and Romans got thrown into, a pit full of seething lava.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011 edited
    NP: Broken Arrow - Hans Zimmer

LOVE IT! The tragic brother hood theme is EXCELLENT in its varied form and execution. Deakin's theme is ultra cool in its full form. Hale's theme is as straightforward as can be, incorporating Randy Edelman's famous melody. The introspective theme gives great countenance to all the testosterone. One thing that's always bothered me is how the sound scape of BA is drastically different than those in other Zimmer scores from the same year, like Crimson Tide. I would posit that this is due to the inclusion of Don Harper as a major player in the additional side of the score, beside Harry Gregson-Williams, doing his first action/major score.
  1. Love the 60 minute version of BA, but the complete has me scratching my head because of all the cue rearranging... I've grown so used to the Milan release it's all I really need. A true Zimmer fave of mine. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Love the 60 minute version of BA, but the complete has me scratching my head because of all the cue rearranging... I've grown so used to the Milan release it's all I really need. A true Zimmer fave of mine. punk

The official release does have the best listening experience of all the (non/legit) releases. There's only one cue that I really wanted that wasn't available with the Milan, the parachute escape piece that is an arrangement of the Tragic Brotherhood theme. It's a very short piece, but it's what I really wanted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2 - Hans Zimmer & John Powell

What an excellent way to appreciate the work that these two (and others) have put into these movies. 2 hours of exciting, asia-tinged, thematic orchestral music.
  2. NP: Paycheck (Complete Score) - John Powell

It's nice to hear some of the best stuff of the score which weren't on the original release (the music for the end of the film). And I love that there's several cues where Powell experimented different ideas with the main theme. And Powell's demos have a much more orchestral sound than Zimmer's scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Paycheck (Complete Score) - John Powell

It's nice to hear some of the best stuff of the score which weren't on the original release (the music for the end of the film). And I love that there's several cues where Powell experimented different ideas with the main theme. And Powell's demos have a much more orchestral sound than Zimmer's scores.

WAIT WAIT..... IT'S AVAILABLE NOW?!!!!! ZOMG :DROOL:
  3. It is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But not from a Jedi...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. So, if he gets it, he's getting ... Sithalous?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: LADYHAWKE (Andrew Powell)

One of my favourites -- screw everyone else! wink

biggrin

Like I said before, having recently(ish) seen the film I can't understand the hatred this score receives, I wasn't too keen on some of the pop elements but I enjoyed what I heard and it fit the film fine.

I remember watching it some years ago and being amazed about how poorly the music fit the movie at times, the tavern flight scene I still remember many years after as being particularly bad. Granted the movie had some comedic elements, but some of the score sounded like it would have been more appropriate for a crazy comedy like "A fish called Wanda" instead of a medieval adventure flick.

I don't feel any hatred though. This score is more of a curiosity to me. The music on album certainly has some enjoyable moments.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011 edited
    I actually think it ALWAYS fits the film. The "oddness" only appears in the breaking of conventions.

First off, the pop beat tracks are only used on minor action & transportation sequences, and the beat fits perfectly with the gallopping horses or the kinetic energy of the action. Plus, several of them -- like the tavern fight -- really have a comedic, semi-slapstick choreography about it.

I think the music fits perfectly in these scenes, but reactionary film music fans don't like it because it's not conventional. I say "thank God it isn't!".

The rest of the score (i.e. the majority) is, however, far more conventional. A classical, orchestral score in the style of Horner or Williams. The most important moments in the film are scored conventionally, whether romance or suspense. Plus a bunch of cool medieval source cues. So it's quite silly, when you think about it, that people only base it on those secondary moments with the pop beat.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Conventions do matter though. Imagine rap music in the LOTR movies for instance. It would totally destroy them. Even if the conventions are arbitrary, they are no less important.

I agree that some minor breaks with tradition can be warranted, but on the other hand film scores are meant to not take too much attention away from the movie, because in doing so it can break the illusion that people are under and make them go "WTF's with this music?". In Ladyhawke this is exactly what I experienced. I remember finding it annoying.

Yes, it is perhaps unfair that the less traditional elements are focused on entirely, but it's rather understandable when you think about it, that people will focus on what they feel ruined their movie experience.

In any case, I must give the movie another try. I might react more positively to it now that I know the score better. I'll keep your points in mind while watching and listening.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Personally, I think it's a breath of fresh air when they try something new and when they go away from convention, like the 80's rock songs in A KNIGHT'S TALE or Horner's synth music for IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE. Or Powell's marginal use of pop beat in LADYHAWKE.

Because, if you think about it, even neoromantic orchestral music is WAY inappropriate in relation to Medieval times, but we accept it because it's convention.

But I realize people want different things when seeing a new film. Not everyone is keen on new impulses. There's something "soothing" about the familiar and the wellknown too, as I'm sure the culture-critical Frankfurter School would agree. wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    SQUANTO: A WARRIOR'S TALE - JOEL MCNEELY

Not half bad! I had heard the clips and hearing the full cues is even better. It's traditional adventure film scoring, from McNeely in his prime. I wasn't immediately taken by it on my first listen, but I can see this grow on me quickly. The exciting action music takes front and center, and the lovely theme stays with you, so there's no reason to not check it out if you like your scores a bit more 80s and 90s than 00s.

It's quite interesting to hear 'The Last of the Mohicans' in the middle part of track 16. smile

And I could swear I heard a lift of 'Henry V' in track 10.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Thor wrote
    Personally, I think it's a breath of fresh air when they try something new and when they go away from convention, like the 80's rock songs in A KNIGHT'S TALE or Horner's synth music for IN THE NAME OF THE ROSE. Or Powell's marginal use of pop beat in LADYHAWKE.

Because, if you think about it, even neoromantic orchestral music is WAY inappropriate in relation to Medieval times, but we accept it because it's convention.

But I realize people want different things when seeing a new film. Not everyone is keen on new impulses. There's something "soothing" about the familiar and the wellknown too, as I'm sure the culture-critical Frankfurter School would agree. wink

The point is not that you can't be different, just that you have to make 'different' feel 'right' for some chunk of the audience. And a film literate audience is far fussier than the average viewer. (see PUBLIC ENEMIES and digital cinematography for a photographic example)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

The point is not that you can't be different, just that you have to make 'different' feel 'right' for some chunk of the audience. And a film literate audience is far fussier than the average viewer. (see PUBLIC ENEMIES and digital cinematography for a photographic example)

I would be careful to let the audience (or some parts of it) dictate too much about what feels or doesn't feel right. The films that try something new or radical are usually just shy of the total mainstream, anyway. But I love it when filmmakers have the guts and get the opportunity to go against convention -- even in mainstream films where the market and audience dictate more.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The films that stand out in history as odd are usually just the ones that either weren't imitated, or didn't imitate some extant trend.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: LADYHAWKE (Andrew Powell)

One of my favourites -- screw everyone else! wink

biggrin

Like I said before, having recently(ish) seen the film I can't understand the hatred this score receives, I wasn't too keen on some of the pop elements but I enjoyed what I heard and it fit the film fine.

I remember watching it some years ago and being amazed about how poorly the music fit the movie at times, the tavern flight scene I still remember many years after as being particularly bad. Granted the movie had some comedic elements, but some of the score sounded like it would have been more appropriate for a crazy comedy like "A fish called Wanda" instead of a medieval adventure flick.

I don't feel any hatred though. This score is more of a curiosity to me. The music on album certainly has some enjoyable moments.

Peter smile

Speaking of "pop" influenced fantasy scores can anyone tell me if Harry Robinson's HAWK THE SLAYER ever had a legit CD release? I always loved that one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. NP: Archangel - Two Steps From Hell

Not strictly an album for this thread, but this is power trailer music heaven! Track after track is such a fun listen. They miss a trick with the slower, almost power ballad/Lord of The Rings vocal tracks. But the rest is a great listen.

More hits than misses.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Rock - Nick Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams & Don Harper, (no Steven Stern)

Still an awesome listen. Great thematic materials. Great action cues. Love it to death.
  8. lp wrote
    NP: The Rock - Nick Glennie-Smith, Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams & Don Harper, (no Steven Stern)

Still an awesome listen. Great thematic materials. Great action cues. Love it to death.

Sorry boys, but you all get ignored save for Zimmer in my listing of this score in iTunes. shame
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

Sorry boys, but you all get ignored save for Zimmer in my listing of this score in iTunes. shame

Hah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BOURNE IDENTITY - John Powell

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BOURNE IDENTITY - John Powell

cool

Awesome score buddy, moreso the sequel, Supremacy punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    And the complete version of Ultimatum gives Supremacy a run for its money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    Anthony wrote
    And the complete version of Ultimatum gives Supremacy a run for its money.

WANT.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you