• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I can't be arsed with the facebook thingy, at least not for what I'm playing, I'll continue to stick that here.

To be honest, Tim, you are not missing anything.

I know! My e-mail gets clogged with it, it's just not for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't care who composed what... Tron: Legacy is fooking superb!

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch

Reason #2 why more electronic musicians should try their hand at film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    :thumbs down:
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch

The CD producers should regularly send out "improved" jewel cases and booklets just for the sake of it that makes it difficult to play the CD. (Assuming that it comes in this format.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Absolutely, yes. I love both this and HANNA very much, and am very much excited when these guys try their hands on film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mission: Impossible - Danny Elfman

Despite Giacchino coming close, Elfman's is still the best, which is why I was surprised when I heard he wasn't pleased with it. This score is fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

But he didn't score the movie. He wrote pieces that ended up being adjusted to the movie and vice versa. It's like tracking in a temp track, but with the temp track being written for the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Absolutely, yes. I love both this and HANNA very much, and am very much excited when these guys try their hands on film.

Have you heard Attack the Block? The movie had a really good score from Basement Jaxx and Steven Price.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    Mission: Impossible - Danny Elfman

Despite Giacchino coming close, Elfman's is still the best, which is why I was surprised when I heard he wasn't pleased with it. This score is fantastic.

Yeah, it's an extremely effective underscore.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

But he didn't score the movie. He wrote pieces that ended up being adjusted to the movie and vice versa. It's like tracking in a temp track, but with the temp track being written for the movie.

It wouldn't be the first time, Ennio Morricone wrote the score to ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST before Sergio Leone started filming, it goes back much further than that too, Ralph Vaughan Williams wrote the score for SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC ( 1949 ) before seeing any of the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

It wouldn't be the first time, Ennio Morricone wrote the score to ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST before Sergio Leone started filming, it goes back much further than that too, Ralph Vaughan Williams wrote the score for SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC ( 1949 ) before seeing any of the film.

But don't you think that the two composer you've mentioned already had the kind of experiences that warrant the approach?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

The complete score is extremely thematic and enjoyable, even at its most pensive moments (and the score is full of it).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

But don't you think that the two composer you've mentioned already had the kind of experiences that warrant the approach?

Well, that's a very good point, both composers were already giants in their fields, in the case of Vaughan Williams that was primarily classical music but he'd already scored a number of films long before 'Scott', in retrospect my example wasn't a very precise one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011 edited
    lp wrote

The complete score is extremely thematic and enjoyable, even at its most pensive moments (and the score is full of it).

Finally near the end of this score. I ADORE the full rendition of the Hancock Theme. It's just so sweeping, grand, yet honest, with that sense of noble Americana behind it. Finest theme that he's ever written. Makes me a bit sad that the movie wasn't as good as it could have been, and more successful even, to require a sequel, where I can hear John develop the musical palette a bit more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Well, that's a very good point, both composers were already giants in their fields, in the case of Vaughan Williams that was primarily classical music but he'd already scored a number of films long before 'Scott', in retrospect my example wasn't a very precise one.

Well, especially with the Ennio Morricone comparo, because the European films that Ennio scores, IMHO, often need music to serve as a emotional commentary on the whole, not as a intrinsic dialogue with each specific event, as American films requires.
  3. lp wrote
    lp wrote

Finally near the end of this score. I ADORE the full rendition of the Hancock Theme. It's just so sweeping, grand, yet honest, with that sense of noble Americana behind it. Finest theme that he's ever written. Makes me a bit sad that the movie wasn't as good as it could have been, and more successful even, to require a sequel, where I can hear John develop the musical palette a bit more.

Well, a time ago, they said that it was confirmed a sequel, but nothing else has been told. By the way, I love the alternate version of Death And Transfiguration. Too bad that it doesn't have the Superman homage that Powell made in the film (so it's not a complete score).
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011 edited
    E.T. (original MCA album) - John Williams

I'm going to disagree with what some people have said about this score. I think the 75 minute expanded is better because there is more depth with the cues included. A number of themes are explored more than what they were on this album (the flying theme was the most prominent but on the expanded, there's more a balance of themes). The MCA album is more of a quick appreciation, concert version summary of the score (much like The Dark Crystal LaLaLand album) (nothing wrong with that of course).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    E.T. (original MCA album) - John Williams

I'm going to disagree with what some people have said about this score. I think the 75 minute expanded is better because there is more depth with the cues included. A number of themes are explored more than what they were on this album (the flying theme was the most prominent but on the expanded, there's more a balance of themes). The MCA album is more of a quick appreciation, concert version summary of the score (much like The Dark Crystal LaLaLand album) (nothing wrong with that of course).

That's fine. To each their own. But to me, it doesn't hold a candle to the original MCA release.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    To each their own.

Side note, I HATE(!) that saying (this coming from a generally negative person). I find it snobby.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm. Odd.
    I generally find it refreshingly open minded (unless when meant in a sarcastic sense of course. But that's not what I got here at all).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Hm. Odd.
    I generally find it refreshingly open minded (unless when meant in a sarcastic sense of course. But that's not what I got here at all).

Same here. Didn't realize there were other associations tied to it.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. KevinSmith wrote
    To each their own.

Side note, I HATE(!) that saying (this coming from a generally negative person). I find it snobby.

Yeah, I hate that phrase. Some people liked Hitler. Some people didn't want Charles Manson executed. Just because each of us can have their own ... I just hate that saying. I rasie you that and anybody who ends their posts:

"but I digress"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011 edited
    Obviously some cultural/linguistic differences that we are not familiar with over here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Good fucking Lord. We are all film music fans here! Get over yourselves!

As for E.T. I like both because they are two separate presentations and two separate recordings and interpretations.

The original MCA album, minus Adventure on Earth (which is actually the film version of the cue... I think) is a complete re-recording using alternate orchestrations and arrangement made SPECIFICALLY for an album presentation. I think it's bloody brilliant (even with that tiny awful edit in the first track) and for my current listening preferences I prefer the truncated playing time. But I digress. (probably not the right use of the phrase but you can all go fuck yourselves wink tongue But I digress. shocked

As for the expanded edition(s)... first, it's great to have more music even though both albums are shoddy presentations... but what do you expect from producer Laurent Bouzereau who is quite possibly one of the worst film music album producers on the planet! Stick to behind the scenes documentaries you jackass!!!

First of all,"Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" (horrible track title) is an alternate cue. And I'm pretty sure they re-used it on the second edition of the expanded edition. dizzy The end credit cue on the first expanded edition is a flubbed take. The 20th anniversary edition corrects that take. Ugh! And there are various other errors and whatnot. But besides all that when I'm in the mood I do like hearing the actual film tracks. The sound quality is money!

But that still leaves us with 3 completely different presentations of the music.

I just wish they would release one more version of score (by a competent producer) and do it as a 2CD set. Release the complete ACADEMY AWARD WINNING score on disc one. Alternates and whatnot on disc 2 along with the now OOP original MCA program. I mean, those concert arrangements of "E.T. and Me" - "E.T. Halloween" - "Flying" - "Over The Moon" are some of the most impressive pieces of music Williams has ever composed and as it stands right now a whole generation of film music fans have never heard those pieces before.

But each to their own!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    yonythemoony wrote
    lp wrote
    lp wrote

Well, a time ago, they said that it was confirmed a sequel, but nothing else has been told. By the way, I love the alternate version of Death And Transfiguration. Too bad that it doesn't have the Superman homage that Powell made in the film (so it's not a complete score).

Isn't it track 27-Bank Robbery (3m33v2a)? I've seen the movie twice, but that was last year so this is close to what I remembered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    There's an expanded and a complete, one is like 37 tracks and one is like 52 tracks.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Indeed. Be careful there LP -- it's a valid approach to film scoring (which only film score fans seem to think isn't a collaborative medium), and some of John Williams' best scores would be chucked out if it were invalid as a way to work (Nixon, JFK).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    There's an expanded and a complete, one is like 37 tracks and one is like 52 tracks.

I have a 54 tracks 2 Disc version (37/17)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The Superman thing must have been a late addition that was inserted after the score-in-film was produced. Is there any evidence that its even Powell's writing? I mean, does it sound like him? I don't remember it well enough to know.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!