• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Flying? Goodness no! Driving up tomorrow morning, drop the children off with dad and then get the train into Queen Street.

I've flown to Glasgow from Manchester only the once and it was almost a surreal experience. I ended up at a place 10 miles from my parents' house and it had only taken a fraction of the time to get there!

But I would rather get in the car and drive there rather than drive to airport, park, wait for flight and then have to get into the city at the other end, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. And there will be a report!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    When you consider all the logitics short inner country flights aren't always as simple as A to B.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011
    Off to bed, I'm taking THE BLACK HOLE and THE GOLDEN CHILD with me. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Flight is a wonder. It's expensive but whenever i can afford, there's simply no alternative.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BLACK BEAUTY - Danny Elfman

A very fine score indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BLACK BEAUTY - Danny Elfman

A very fine score indeed!

One of my favourites too.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. .
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE MANS - Michel Legrand

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011
    NP : JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS - Bernard Herrmann

Great score to classic Harryhausen fantasy, brilliantly recorded with Bruce Broughton at the helm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (Alan Silvestri)

Not all tracks are top-notch, but the funky Synclavier riffs are awesome, esp. "Robot Romp". Film is a nostalgic pleasure from my childhood too, although that's secondary in my soundtrack appreciation.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ISLANDS IN THE STREAM - Jerry Goldsmith

This is the FSM release of the original score, it's exceptionally lovely. I'll never play Goldsmith's re-recording again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (Alan Silvestri)

Not all tracks are top-notch, but the funky Synclavier riffs are awesome, esp. "Robot Romp". Film is a nostalgic pleasure from my childhood too, although that's secondary in my soundtrack appreciation.

Your posts are hilarious, Thor. You post like we have NEVER been exposed to your personal preferences ever! Who is this Thor guy and what the deal with him? The film is secondary to his soundtrack appreciation? That's ludicrous!

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A good thing can never be said too often. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS - Ralph Vaughan Williams

London Philharmonic conducted by Vernon Handley.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

oops! wrong place.

....or, a tiny bit was used in MASTER & COMMANDER, does that count? whatever, it's one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.
  4. NP: Mosé - Marco Frisina

Wonderful. The two main themes are lovely, and the choral parts are amazing. I'm really enjoying Frisina's scores for the Bible film series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

oops! wrong place.

....or, a tiny bit was used in MASTER & COMMANDER, does that count? whatever, it's one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

I don't care where you post it. It's great. It really is.
    (Listening to the Previn/Royal Philharmonic version now)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

oops! wrong place.

I don't care where you post it. It's great. It really is.
    (Listening to the Previn/Royal Philharmonic version now)

It's a piece that means an awful lot to me! hug

p.s. The Previn version is excellent, personally I think Sir Adrian Boult's is best, probably because it was the first version I heard, it's an old recording but still sounds great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011 edited
    NP: AMORE E LIBERTA MASANIELLO (Marco Werba)

A bit too mono-thematic, perhaps, but lovely melodic skill (and old-fashioned 'class') in this historical epic by my "client" Marco Werba.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Until September (John Barry)

Nothing better than a relaxing Barry score whilst cleaning up the apartment, nice cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Until September (John Barry)

Nothing better than a relaxing Barry score whilst cleaning up the apartment, nice cool

I find it a much more enjoyable score than his overpraised Somewhere in Time and much more varied too.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I find it a much more enjoyable score than his overpraised Somewhere in Time and much more varied too.

I haven't heard Somewhere in Time yet smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Oh, make no bones about it, it's a beautiful score, it's just that I find a majority of people ( and John Barry fans ) praise it very highly and yet UNTIL SEPTEMBER rarely seems to get a mention, as a listening experience I prefer it far more than SOMEWHERE IN TIME.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Oh, make no bones about it, it's a beautiful score, it's just that I find a majority of people ( and John Barry fans ) praise it very highly and yet UNTIL SEPTEMBER rarely seems to get a mention, as a listening experience I prefer it far more than SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

I can only say that Until September is a fine listening experience, and I can see why you like it
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Listen here-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8uYmVHVazw

Personally I can't choose between Somewhere in time and Until september. Both are among my favourite Barry scores. But I agree with Timmer, that the latter one is mentioned way too rarely.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011
    NP: The Battle Of Bunker Hill - William Stromberg & John Morgan

This release got a rather bad fan reaction due to the fact that it was scored on a very low budget, hence most of the ihnstruments were actually sampled rather than live. Yes, you can hear that (much like one can in the Lafonde re-recordings of some of Delerue's works, which I alluded to in another post)...but it detracts nothing from what a great score this is!
    As elegant and powerful as any Golden Age score, this CD is full of melody and powerful musical ideas, with a great sense of style and feel for the era which evokes the stylistics of Steiner, Newman and Korngold. Not the worst icons to live up to!

If I would have one tiny gripe, it would be that it hinges too significantly on the Yankee Doodle folk tune (oh yeah Thor. You'd love that wink ), but really, at the end of the day this is one of those scores that will receive many replays from me, simply due to the wealth of themes and excellence of execution.

With this CD Stromberg and Morgan seemingly effortlessly show that they really understand what makes a fine, coherent and -above all- entertaining listen!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. If someone were to re-record this with a proper orchestra then I would certainly get this. But until then I'll be entertained by the clips, trying to guess what instruments some of the sounds are trying to be.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011 edited
    NP : THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM - John Barry

This is a CDR copy, I missed out on the Varese release back in the days when I was happy to alternate between LP's and CD's, wrongly thinking that I could get Quiller at a later date slant I'd love for this to get a re-release.

Here's a sample of Barry's spooky cold war spy score...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LJfpv0UgWU

Someone has put a nice colage of clips from the film to go with this piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011 edited
    NP: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Rachel Portman

Lovely. Reminds me of a Jan A.P. Kaczmarek work a bit. Though it's arguable that both are great at this kind of soft, melodic type of composition. Just lovely stuff overall.