• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

Great, fan-made 2CD set containing his greatest film themes on the first CD and suites of his more orchestral scores on the second. Basically, it has every facet of his musical style.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote

Great, fan-made 2CD set containing his greatest film themes on the first CD and suites of his more orchestral scores on the second. Basically, it has every facet of his musical style.

How would one come into contact with such a set?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote

How would one come into contact with such a set?

I have the same set, it was done by a mutual friend of ours at FSM/MovieMusic.com. and some years ago at that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with Intrada's Explorers. Yeah.... ummm... I'll stick with the original release or at least the original playlist using Intrada's remastered tracks. I'm just so used to hearing "The Construction" right off the bat that hearing the same cue a good 25 minutes into Intrada's album seems... wrong. There's lots of fuller as well which didn't do much for me, however, the cameo of Goldsmith's Alien in "Looks Real" is simply wonderful!

The liner notes say that Goldsmith "seems to quote directly and intentionally from his 1979 score to Alien" and then there's a possible reason for this quote shoe-horned into the argument. It sounds to me more like the use of a particular motif that is similar to that used in Alien. Does anyone know if it is an intentional re-use of music from the 1979 film?

"The Construction" (and a couple of tracks after this one) are highlights of Explorers. But for the other 90% I didn't like at all. I have a feeling that this score will be my prime example of the inexplicable attraction to the score on listening to the clips and then listening to the score itself and thinking: shocked

With Primeval and Explorers both in the one day, this has not been the best of days!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM - John Barry

This is a CDR copy, I missed out on the Varese release back in the days when I was happy to alternate between LP's and CD's, wrongly thinking that I could get Quiller at a later date slant I'd love for this to get a re-release.

Here's a sample of Barry's spooky cold war spy score...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LJfpv0UgWU

Someone has put a nice colage of clips from the film to go with this piece.

NP : THE IPCRESS FILE - John Barry

Perfect score for a very good film, this also makes a very fine late night listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Gearing up for a very intense and eventful day tomorrow. Good days ahead!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with Intrada's Explorers. Yeah.... ummm... I'll stick with the original release or at least the original playlist using Intrada's remastered tracks. I'm just so used to hearing "The Construction" right off the bat that hearing the same cue a good 25 minutes into Intrada's album seems... wrong. There's lots of fuller as well which didn't do much for me, however, the cameo of Goldsmith's Alien in "Looks Real" is simply wonderful!

The liner notes say that Goldsmith "seems to quote directly and intentionally from his 1979 score to Alien" and then there's a possible reason for this quote shoe-horned into the argument. It sounds to me more like the use of a particular motif that is similar to that used in Alien. Does anyone know if it is an intentional re-use of music from the 1979 film?

"The Construction" (and a couple of tracks after this one) are highlights of Explorers. But for the other 90% I didn't like at all. I have a feeling that this score will be my prime example of the inexplicable attraction to the score on listening to the clips and then listening to the score itself and thinking: shocked

With Primeval and Explorers both in the one day, this has not been the best of days!

The thing with Explorers for me is the fact that, although not a great film, was still a much watched video with me and my geeky friends in the 80s. And we were rabid Goldsmith freaks. So we knew every note of score from that film. So I have an emotional connection to all the music.
    I can understand why many people can't warm to it with all the synth stuff in places but I like it.
    Certainly the best tracks were compiled on the original album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote
    Certainly the best tracks were compiled on the original album.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I never had the original album. I may reconstruct it from the Intrada release and try again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Italian Key - Tuomas Kantelinen

Wow! I hope this one gets a release... Mikael, I'm looking in your general direction. Superb! Gorgeous, sweeping, heartfelt, fully developed themes with some of the most stunning string music I've heard in a while. This could be one of my Top 10 scores of the year!

http://www.theitaliankey.com/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Demetris and now Erik praising this unreleased score!

I need to redefine my definition of "unreleased"! It is a fine balance between raising the awareness of an unavailable score to encourage labels to release it and encouraging others to seek it out via dubious routes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011 edited
    Well, Tuomas kindly made it available to us at the IFMCA to 1) get the word out and 2) as a for consideration promo for our 2011 awards.

This is a perfect album for me to promote on my show but I'm so busy with work and I'm so far behind with other shows that I don't think I will ever catch up.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to make anyone jealous by posting info of an unreleased score. Tuomas usually releases his music through CD Baby and if there is enough interest for this score hopefully in the near future he will release a limited quantity for those that want to own it legally. I highly doubt you will see this one on the bootleg forums.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, I was trying to make anyone jealous by posting info of an unreleased score. Tuomas usually releases his music through CD Baby and if there is enough interest for this score hopefully in the near future he will release a limited quantity for those that want to own it legally. I highly doubt you will see this one on the bootleg forums.

You mean "I wasn't"?

I read the comment you made about the score at a bad time - various trials and tribulations concerning iTunes store. crazy So I may have made reference to this one when normally I would not have said anything at all. Sorry for that. I have reviewed at least one score that's not available and I too wanted to raise the profile of the music hoping that people will want it when and if it is released.

I hope that more of Tuomas' music is released. We have not had much from him recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, I was trying to make anyone jealous by posting info of an unreleased score. Tuomas usually releases his music through CD Baby and if there is enough interest for this score hopefully in the near future he will release a limited quantity for those that want to own it legally. I highly doubt you will see this one on the bootleg forums.

You mean "I wasn't"?

Right! shame

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHIPPING NEWS - Christopher Young

A seriously lovely score, gorgeous!
  6. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE SHIPPING NEWS - Christopher Young

A seriously lovely score, gorgeous!

I've been in Facebook too much. I wanted to "like" your post!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't be arsed with the facebook thingy, at least not for what I'm playing, I'll continue to stick that here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011 edited
    NP: Winnie the Pooh - Henry Jackman

Wow. It's amazing how completely orchestral this score is. Where's the Zimmer attributes? This music sounds like something from the 60s and 70s school of animation scoring, replete with the whole mickey mousing schtick. Wow.
  7. Timmer wrote
    I can't be arsed with the facebook thingy, at least not for what I'm playing, I'll continue to stick that here.

To be honest, Tim, you are not missing anything.
  8. lp wrote

Wow. It's amazing how completely orchestral this score is. Where's the Zimmer attributes? This music sounds like something from the 60s and 70s school of animation scoring, replete with the whole mickey mousing schtick. Wow.

I got interested up until "mickey mousing".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote

I got interested up until "mickey mousing".

Um, most 60s,70s animations score had them. I don't mind it much, since the score/movie was meant to fit into that certain old school vibe. One thing to be sure, Henry has tons of orchestration skills far beyond the RC styling that he works with every day.
  9. Yes, but as score fans at a number of boards are so keen on pointing out, this isn't the '60's. Or '70's. Or '80's. Or any other decade other than now. We have to have bland, themeless, orchestra library pastchies.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

I didn't think much of this at first, but I'm enjoying it immensely now. I think more electronic musicians should try their hands at film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Tron Legacy - Daft Punk

I didn't think much of this at first, but I'm enjoying it immensely now. I think more electronic musicians should try their hands at film scoring.

Daft Punk's music wouldn't be so great if it weren't for their collaborator/orchestrator. This is not a "diss" against them. They did work very close with Joseph Trapanese since getting hired on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't care who composed what... Tron: Legacy is fooking superb!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It does sound great. I'm a bit against the idea that, because T:R is good, that other electronic musicians should try their hand at it. Helpful hands and great ideas shouldn't be dismissed.
  11. NP: The Lord Of the Rings Symphony - Howard Shore

I don't know about you, but this sounds new, like a fresh version of the scores. Especially with the recording of the brass, percussion and choir.
  12. There Will Be Blood - Jonny Greenwood

OMG this is superb. Parts of it remind me of that Hiroshima piece that Penderecki wrote.
  13. Oh wow, Broxton beat me to that connection...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It does sound great. I'm a bit against the idea that, because T:R is good, that other electronic musicians should try their hand at it. Helpful hands and great ideas shouldn't be dismissed.

Well, we did get Hanna from The Chemical Brothers and that was vomit

-Erik-