• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. DreamTheater wrote
    LES DEUX MONDES - RICHARD HARVEY

Thomas gave me this to listen to... Nope, not my cup of tea at all. Some of the time I have to wonder what my bro is smoking to be able to enjoy something like this. Maybe I should try me some of that...

too bad, because I think it's awesome. But I had a feeling you weren't going to enjoy this. Ah well, another score this weekend wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011
    NP : THE INCREDIBLES - Michael Giacchino

Great stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: WAR OF THE WORLDS (John Williams)

Underrated film and score. Classy suspense music.

It's effect is first-rate in the film... Can't ever sit through it on album myself.

lp wrote
    NP: Fast Five - Brian Tyler

Hugely enjoyable score for a very entertaining movie.

And I'll never be able to enjoy a Tyler score for the mere fact that is a score written by Tyler, the most overrated succesful film composer I can think of.

The movie is indeed a blast, bring on the end of september for its release.

The movie is good the score is kick ass, awesome.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011 edited
    NP: My own playlist of the best by Two Steps From Hell. 161 tracks it has. All great. Strangely, many of my favourite tracks are their more romcom sounding material (examples: 1 2 3). A side they aren't exactly known for, but that they've made plenty of.

Up next: Bergensen's solo album Illusions. Strangely I've not really fallen for this album yet, even though I'm a TSFH fan. Perhaps after more listens.

Peter devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Great stuff!

Indeed, breezy, cool and fun!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

Great stuff!

Indeed, breezy, cool and fun!

good to see you back here buddy1 it just ain't the same without your exhuberant enthusiasm wink beer

p.s. i'm going to get a new keyboard tomorrow, caps lock works only spasmodically. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    plindboe wrote

Up next: Bergensen's solo album Illusions. Strangely I've not really fallen for this album yet, even though I'm a TSFH fan. Perhaps after more listens.

Peter devil

It's not the best album. I'm actually digging Nero much more. But Illusions have some really EXCELLENT tracks that makes it really worth listening through the whole thing.
  2. NP: Angel Illarramendi Compone Para Elias Querejeta

Excelent compilation of Illarramendi's music in Querejeta's films. My favorite ones is the ones from El Ultimo Viaje de Robert Rylands and El Aliento Del Diablo. Also, Illarramendi sings the main theme of the movie Tasio in Urbasa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    lp wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter devil

It's not the best album. I'm actually digging Nero much more. But Illusions have some really EXCELLENT tracks that makes it really worth listening through the whole thing.

Nero is out already? Holy crap toast! I barely get a chance to listen to their latest album before they release another one.

Btw, which Illusions tracks are your faves?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Thomas gave me this to listen to... Nope, not my cup of tea at all. Some of the time I have to wonder what my bro is smoking to be able to enjoy something like this. Maybe I should try me some of that...

too bad, because I think it's awesome. But I had a feeling you weren't going to enjoy this. Ah well, another score this weekend wink

I like it too, some parts of it are boring but the thematic parts are very nice in a proto-Zimmerish way.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm not sure what Thomas is smoking, but what the hell are you smoking?! I agree that not all the tracks are great, but this score has some extraordinary gems. A track like "Au milieu de la bataille" consists of pure awesome.

Peter punk
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    lol
    Now THAT'S why I love this board!!!
    lol

There are many ways to fight a war. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    NP: THE CLASSIC SPIELBERG SCORES (John Williams)

One of the best JW compilations out there, released in the wake of HOOK (and therefore includes quite a few tracks from that). Spectacular sound and performance. I remember picking this up for practically nothing in a sales bin, which was quite something back in those days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Actually, it was released after Schindler's List.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: 'Duo' from Les yeux de sa mère (Santaolalla)

Grumble as we might argue about whether one Oscar was one too many, and two an insult to the scoring gods, one thing I can't dispute is that Santaolalla, every now and then, produces a peerless piece of music that has something you don't find in the music of composers schooled in the orchestral arts. 'Duo', like 'Iguazu', is one of them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, it was released after Schindler's List.

-Erik-

True, so a couple of years later. But stilll heavy on the HOOK material. Not that I'm complaining. I love that score, and think the arrangements here are top notch (and not available elsewhere).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm not sure what Thomas is smoking, but what the hell are you smoking?! I agree that not all the tracks are great, but this score has some extraordinary gems. A track like "Au milieu de la bataille" consists of pure awesome.

Peter punk

It's for this reason, the desire not to smoke what others smoke, I don't enjoy many of current film scores. Give me my childhood classics any day over this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK (John Williams)

Devilish and fun, it's about as close as Williams can get Herrmann (& Elfman, I guess). The theme is infectious as hell.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think it's one of Harvey's finest as well.
    Again -as with so many Harvey scores- , it's too *long*, but with some judicious editing it's a great listening experience.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Devilish and fun, it's about as close as Williams can get Herrmann (& Elfman, I guess). The theme is infectious as hell.

Nope! he gets closer to herrmann in The Fury wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Duo' from Les yeux de sa mère (Santaolalla)

Grumble as we might argue about whether one Oscar was one too many, and two an insult to the scoring gods, one thing I can't dispute is that Santaolalla, every now and then, produces a peerless piece of music that has something you don't find in the music of composers schooled in the orchestral arts. 'Duo', like 'Iguazu', is one of them.

Agree. Very nostalgic, sentimental soundscapes. And i thought "la letter" is one of the simplest, calmest, and most beautiful pieces i've heard this year.

Would take it a 1000 times over the crappy noisy stuff we get these days (Revell's SHARK NIGHT 3D made me want to punch the pc the other day, same as Isham"S WARRIOR).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

I'd say more Elfman than Herrmann. But then again, Elfman channels Herrmann all the time. If you want to hear Williams mimic Herrmann then look no further then The Fury!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree about THE FURY, of course, but I actually think he's MORE Herrmann-inspired in WITCHES, especially the main theme around 0:30 and onwards.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FORT SAGANNE - Philippe Sarde

Superb!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I agree about THE FURY, of course, but I actually think he's MORE Herrmann-inspired in WITCHES, especially the main theme around 0:30 and onwards.

We will have to agree to disagree on this matter!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's fine. At least we can agree they've both got that Herrmann vibe at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Nope! he gets closer to herrmann in The Fury wink

Indeed he does Timmer, you're 1000% correct!
  7. I have been listening to the original cues for Psycho today, in readiness for tomorrow night. This is going to be so great!

I was watching a piece on the performance on BBC Scotland and they were interviewing one of the violonists. Even he was wishing he could be in the audience!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I look forward to your report Alan. Are you flying to Glasgow?