• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. franz_conrad wrote
    Complete demos? That would be nice to hear. Sounds like it ended up being a bit more of a 'director's score'.

Well, Part 1 had an original place to end, but they changed it. That way, they cut 20 minutes from Part 1 and inserted 15 minutes from Part 2. That's the reason why Desplat's score for the first had so many cuts and alternates, and the second film was much more complete and with minor cuts. There's almost two hours of music, at least 20 minutes of it cut out of the film or alternate. And some of that is great.
  2. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

I played Hannibal before, now this beauty, in honor of the man's birthday.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. yonythemoony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Complete demos? That would be nice to hear. Sounds like it ended up being a bit more of a 'director's score'.

Well, Part 1 had an original place to end, but they changed it. That way, they cut 20 minutes from Part 1 and inserted 15 minutes from Part 2. That's the reason why Desplat's score for the first had so many cuts and alternates, and the second film was much more complete and with minor cuts. There's almost two hours of music, at least 20 minutes of it cut out of the film or alternate. And some of that is great.

Golly. How do demos get out? The defences are getting more porous these days! dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

I played Hannibal before, now this beauty, in honor of the man's birthday.

Probably my alltime favourite Zimmer, as I've said many times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUPERMAN II (John Williams/Ken Thorne)

Rather skimpy, IMO (this is not the box CD, but the ol' Japanese CD) - a beggar's version of the original.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Continuing with Hans Zimmer's birthday listening:

Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard - Gladiator

I listen to this great work much more seldom than I should.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Continuing with Hans Zimmer's birthday listening:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Continuing with Hans Zimmer's birthday listening:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

It does. This always gives me great listening pleasure when I return to it. Not so much the Holst-ian battle music, but the ethereal music -- yes, even the "wailing woman" (this was, after all, the score that truly popularized it).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011 edited
    NP: SUPERMAN IV (Alexander Courage/John Williams)

Even cheaper-sounding, but has some nice moments. The new Williams themes are charming in their own right too. This is obviously the FSM release, as that's the only one around. But could do with some album tweeking, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Warhammer 40,000 - Space Marine – Cris Velasco & Sascha Dikiciyan

I kinda like this, even if the main theme is heavily inspired by Thomas Bergesen's "Freedom Fighters" theme. And then you get bits and pieces of Goldsmith's main theme for the Edge....
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Golly. How do demos get out? The defences are getting more porous these days! dizzy

lol Recently the demos for Captain America and Pirates 4 we're leaked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Mr. And Mrs. Smith (Complete Score) - John Powell

I've waited so long for the orchestral version of Mondo Bongo, I'm glad it was included. Same thing with the percussions in the house shooting scene.

By the way, I didn't know that Hans Zimmer wrote the Regency logo theme.

Danny Elfman would have a few things to say about that Regency music.

Anyway, John's score for that movie was THE ONLY GOOD (and BEST) THING to come out of that whole mess.
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    THE ROCKETEER - JAMES HORNER

I remember giving this album 4 stars many years ago, however now I have to say this is 5 easily, because it's pure orchestral Horner fun from beginning to end, which we simply don't hear anymore, featuring some of his greatest themes ("Jenny" is bloody beautiful). Even the two Cole Porter songs are great.

So in the end I have to say, bro, you should really add one more star in your review. wink

I know, and somehow it deserves this (especially considering the crud of today). But I must see the total picture. The Rocketeer is bloody brilliant, but Krull (amongst others) is even more brilliant. And that explains the miss of a star.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Thor wrote

Even cheaper-sounding, but has some nice moments. The new Williams themes are charming in their own right too. This is obviously the FSM release, as that's the only one around. But could do with some album tweeking, for sure.

No tweaking please... It's great as it is. This score and its presentation was the nicest surprise for me in the FSM box.

Having Superman II in great sound was the second best surprise. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I remember giving this album 4 stars many years ago, however now I have to say this is 5 easily, because it's pure orchestral Horner fun from beginning to end, which we simply don't hear anymore, featuring some of his greatest themes ("Jenny" is bloody beautiful). Even the two Cole Porter songs are great.

So in the end I have to say, bro, you should really add one more star in your review. wink

I know, and somehow it deserves this (especially considering the crud of today). But I must see the total picture. The Rocketeer is bloody brilliant, but Krull (amongst others) is even more brilliant. And that explains the miss of a star.

Sure, its your opinion after all. Krull may be the powerhouse of the two, but The Rocketeer is definitely not less fun or exciting.

My advice: add another half, and put EXCELLENT next to 'Jenny'. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Cheap sounding? Are you playing this on your laptop because the sound is incredible! The remastering job on this one is exquisite! Superman IV is by far the best Superman score next to the original. Great new themes and Courage's arrangements and variations on the established themes from the first score are masterful! Great, GREAT score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Brilliant is brilliant no matter how you state it! Giving The Rocketeer 5 stars doesn't diminish Krull's quality. Again, let The Rocketeer stand on it's own. The Rocketeer isn't Krull and nor should it be.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Cheap sounding? Are you playing this on your laptop because the sound is incredible! The remastering job on this one is exquisite! Superman IV is by far the best Superman score next to the original. Great new themes and Courage's arrangements and variations on the established themes from the first score are masterful! Great, GREAT score!

-Erik-

I was talking more about the performance than the sound. Lacks the artistic dynamic of the original. Then again, the score doesn't do much for me beyond the new Williams themes. Too much rambunctious mickey-mousing and stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

I've waited so long for the orchestral version of Mondo Bongo, I'm glad it was included. Same thing with the percussions in the house shooting scene.

Anyway, John's score for that movie was THE ONLY GOOD (and BEST) THING to come out of that whole mess.

I doubt Mr Pitt and Ms Jolie would agree with you considering they met and started an affair on this film.

...on the other hand, give it some time and they may well agree with you wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dood... the performances are top notch! The orchestral does a bang up job with incredibly difficult "Statue of Liberty Fight" and the orchestral tour-de-force of "Moon Fight/Goodbye Nuke" That final flourish of Superman's theme with the woodwinds and brass is extraordinary!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

I doubt Mr Pitt and Ms Jolie would agree with you considering they met and started an affair on this film.

...on the other hand, give it some time and they may well agree with you wink

:shudder:

Nope, John's score for that movie was THE ONLY GOOD THING to come out of that whole mess. I don't even like their douchey looking adopted Cambodian son.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREAT ESCAPE - Elmer Bernstein

Classic!
  9. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE GREAT ESCAPE - Elmer Bernstein

Classic!

See the film if you haven't!

Being unemployed, I can't buy all the CDs that come out, in fact I've bought none of over half a year. But I decided with only about 15 CD-Rs left, I might as well make a few trades to get things before they are out of print, so I got my first goodie with a trade:

FSM's "Rascals and Robbers / The Homecoming" (Horner/Goldsmith)

An excellent CD. Its very enjoyable. My only complaints would be Jerry's cues are too short and just when it seems it might get somewhere, the score ends. Likewise Horner's score never fully gets into the meat. But in spite of all that, both are excellently done. I prefer Horner's, though. And the CD ends far too short.

I have some a minor quicbble on Horner's score -- the End Credits just aren't long enough and the score doesn't give you that goodbye with finalization of theme statements.

Both scores are very similar in a way, making them a perfect pairing.

And finding out that errie low sound in the Cave cue of Horner's, is a bass harmonica was fascinating -- so it's not some weird-ass synth.

It's a damn shame FSM won't be around to do more like this. After making that thread about recording from the CBS tapes housed at (I forget where), it appears now that just won't be happening.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. I like Rascals and Robbers a lot, I sure wasn't expecting this to be as lovely as it is. The Goldsmith is a bit dull to my ears, but it has more heart than most scores of today.
  11. Since you like it, you should check out "Something Wicked This Way Comes" for the lighter moments. In fact, Horner lifted a full 10 to 15 seconds from R&R and used it in SWTWC -- just madethe orchestration a little fuller. Of course, this is no surprise as you can hear various other Horner scores in this.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Justin, I'm British, we've been brought up on THE GREAT ESCAPE for many many years with it often being shown during holidays or at Christmas, I've honestly lost count of how many times I've seen it wink

Despite that, it's still one of my all time favourite films and I have it amongst my DVD's. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

Dark and doom leaden, I've fallen in love with a score I only 'liked' before.
  12. Timmer wrote
    Justin, I'm British, we've been brought up on THE GREAT ESCAPE for many many years with it often being shown during holidays or at Christmas, I've honestly lost count of how many times I've seen it wink

Despite that, it's still one of my all time favourite films and I have it amongst my DVD's. cool

A lot of daft gits here, for some reason, haven't seen it -- just checking.

(oh, I cooked things up real well there. smeg)
  13. Hans Zimmer - Spanglish

Lovely.

My Zimmer birthday playlist today, in sequence:

1. Hannibal
    2. Beyond Rangoon
    3. Gladiator
    4. Inception
    5. The Thin Red Line
    6. Spanglish