• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: STAR WARS IV: A NEW HOPE (John Williams)

Another obscurity from Williams' catalogue!

I take it you mean Star Wars? wink

Probably my favourite of the six.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. THREE. Three. Three.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    NP : ALFIE - Sonny Rollins

Jazz? Niiiiiice! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, this is much better than AOTC but not as good as TPM and no where near as good as the original trilogy.

Excellent one-sentence summary.

Thor wrote
    NP: STAR WARS IV: A NEW HOPE (John Williams)

Another obscurity from Williams' catalogue!

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I take it you mean Star Wars? wink

Probably my favourite of the six.

applause

justin boggan wrote
    THREE. Three. Three.

fireworks champagne punk biggrin
    :standing ovation:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Pirates of the Carribbean - On Stranger Tides

Once I saw this movie, I realized why this score is so crappy. The movie was lifeless, crawling from one forced story point to another, trying to be as exciting as possible without any dramatic motivation. The direction was incredibly bland, and completely fails in comparison to Verbinski's energetic work.
    I hate how the score is essentially a temp score redux, marrying distinct and unique themes from the original trilogy together, thus completely undermine the original contexts under which those materials were realized.
    This was atrocious.
    The ONLY good thing about it was the new thematic stuff for the Mermaid, the short choral passages for the Spanish conquistadors, and the Spanish materials. No wonder Hans passed this onto others to handle. It's still shameful to see his name on this pile of junk.

HOWEVER, as far as junk goes, it's exciting enough to turn off your brain and listen to it as a sort of best-of-Pirates-mish-mash musical compilation. But if you have any respect for the original POTC trilogy, especially At World's End, stay away and not let it tarnish the good impression that the latter score provided.

PS. the complete demo recording that I'm listening is amazing in its sound quality. The synth samples are extremely well made, and could have been passed off as the real deal, if you didn't hear the difference in fidelity and crispness that the final version provides.
  3. A Very Long Engagement - Angelo Badalamenti

One of Angelo's best scores; it's brooding but not too brooding, romantic without going over the top, mellow but not depressive.

(Better than Twin Peaks wink )
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. Ha! Just last night I was playing a Badalamenti compilation, and the VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT theme was on. My girlfriend suddenly was taken back 6 or 7 years to when she saw the film, and remembered the theme, which is used ad nauseum throughout the film. It seemed for both of us, this music had killed the film back when we each saw it. (Somewhere around the 8th or 9th reprise, I mentally checked out of the film.) The only thing that could cancel the theme in our heads was to skip a few tracks to get to the themes of TWIN PEAKS. (Which are lovely.) wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Timmer wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN - Ron Goodwin / Sir William Walton

Two contrasting scores, both are superb!

Agree! Although I prefer the Goodwin-one.

Good to see you man hug

Thanks! :-)

And yeah, I agree with you, though I am exceptionally partial to the ( VERY ) Malcolm Arnold influenced Battle In The Air, an outstanding piece of film music that is brilliantly used in the film, no sound effects, just music and visuals, a film composers dream.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there. It's a spectacular sequence with some spectacular airplanes as well! And the music does work magnificently well! Good call, Timmer.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (John Williams)

I'm gonna be the contrarian again and say that this is actually my LEAST favourite of the three original scores. A bit too gritty for my taste. I prefer the third. Again with the all-too-common "the darker, the better" mentality that I've never understood. But by all means....it's STAR WARS!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    "the darker, the better" mentality that I've never understood.

You make it seem that that's the only argument for this score to be considered the best of the series and one of the finest film scores ever written! Sure, it's dark, far more dramatic then any other Star Wars score but that's only the tip of the iceberg my friend!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

You make it seem that that's the only argument for this score to be considered the best of the series and one of the finest film scores ever written! Sure, it's dark, far more dramatic then any other Star Wars score but that's only the tip of the iceberg my friend!

-Erik-

Sure. But it seems to be most widespread of the arguments. My favourite bits from this score are actually the ones that are NOT dark!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Sure. But it seems to be most widespread of the arguments. My favourite bits from this score are actually the ones that are NOT dark!

Again, it's only a small part of the argument! I don't think you can deny that the dark material is fooking incredible!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not my cuppa tea, but yeah, it's fine. Listening to "Battle in the Snow" now and it's really a wild powerhouse of a cue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote

I'm gonna be the contrarian again and say that this is actually my LEAST favourite of the three original scores. A bit too gritty for my taste. I prefer the third. Again with the all-too-common "the darker, the better" mentality that I've never understood. But by all means....it's STAR WARS!

Kudos; never seen anyone rank them like that before.

You've just convinced me to play these scores. I've never really gotten to know the Star wars scores too well as I tend to go lose interest quickly due to the Mickey Mousing. I do think the themes are some of the best ever composed though and I might enjoy the scores more if I really get to know them well.

Peter smile
  5. Thor wrote

So are you suggesting this is only the third greatest score in history? biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Defending Your Life - Michael Gore

A nice fluffy comedy score with a memorable theme (flushed out by Shirley Walker's orchestrations).

The Man in the Moon - James Horner

A folksy score that reminds me more of The Spitfire Grill than anything JNH has done.

Anaconda - Randy Edelman

A typical Edelman romantic theme countered by his version of monster action cues.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Mogens wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN - Ron Goodwin / Sir William Walton

Two contrasting scores, both are superb!

Agree! Although I prefer the Goodwin-one.

Good to see you man hug

Thanks! :-)

And yeah, I agree with you, though I am exceptionally partial to the ( VERY ) Malcolm Arnold influenced Battle In The Air, an outstanding piece of film music that is brilliantly used in the film, no sound effects, just music and visuals, a film composers dream.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there. It's a spectacular sequence with some spectacular airplanes as well! And the music does work magnificently well! Good call, Timmer.

and quite appropriate considering how STAR WARS'ified this thread is right now, Lukas was influenced by this film in the first film, called STAR WARS if memory serves. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS VI: THE RETURN OF THE JEDI (John Williams)

Has always been in my Top 3 list of alltime favourite soundtracks. Has all, or most, themes from previous movies as well as some brilliant setpieces, like the "Forest Battle". Very varied. Love the ewok music too. Although, to be fair, I don't listen to it much anymore as it it's a style of music that I can't deal with for too long at a time.

PS. These are all the Arista box CD's I'm playing. I sold all my RCA 2CD "book" sets to Martijn awhile back.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Again, it's only a small part of the argument! I don't think you can deny that the dark material is fooking incredible!

-Erik-

EMPIRE is rightly regarded by many score fans as one of the greatest film scores ever written, an opinion I agree with 100%
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS (Kevin Kiner/John Williams)

I just can't get myself to connect to this. It's fun when the Williams cameos come on, but most of it seems like just loud orchestral rumble. Even the brief burst of the main theme is covered in those heavy drum ostinato thingies that are all over the place today.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    NP: STAR WARS VI: THE RETURN OF THE JEDI (John Williams)

Has always been in my Top 3 list of alltime favourite soundtracks. Has all, or most, themes from previous movies as well as some brilliant setpieces, like the "Forest Battle". Very varied. Love the ewok music too.

Always prefered this to Empire myself as well. smile
    And yes, I only play the "Fox Box" myself too.
    I like having the RCA book sets, though, but that's more from a collector's point of view.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

WOW! This is a real revelation compared to the old LP, there are details and sounds I never knew were there, I have a brand new appeciation of this score and I can't wait to play it again.

A big thankyou to Disney and Intrada for this fabulous release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011 edited
    I'm just finished listening to Pinar Toprak's beautiful score to THE WIND GODS. Head over to her site and click on MUSIC to hear the complete score album. http://www.pinartoprak.com/

This could be the first time in my 15 years of being on the air that a documentary score has cracked my Top 10.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just listened to a bit of it Erik and it is lovely ( just like the lady herself ), I'll give this a proper listen later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    She's a beauty isn't she.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm just finished listening to Pinar Toprak's beautiful score to THE WIND GODS. Head over to her site and click on MUSIC to hear the complete score album. http://www.pinartoprak.com/
    -Erik-

i love the track THERE IS HOPE from the score Behind Enemy Lines II. it has a great melody and i love the vocals. it's one of my favourite tracks. the other scores sound also very good. it's great that you can listen to her scores on her website.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Check out her score to THE LIGHTKEEPERS which won last year's IFMCA Best Comedy award.
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/lightkeepers.html

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

WOW! This is a real revelation compared to the old LP, there are details and sounds I never knew were there, I have a brand new appeciation of this score and I can't wait to play it again.

A big thankyou to Disney and Intrada for this fabulous release.

2nd play cool
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Erik Woods wrote
    Check out her score to THE LIGHTKEEPERS which won last year's IFMCA Best Comedy award.
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/lightkeepers.html

-Erik-

the emotional music sounds wonderful, especially with the fiddle parts. the themes sound lovely. i think i will buy this score.