• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Sinbad (Gregson-Williams)

Listening to this again I'm reminded of why it's in my top10 of all-time favourite scores. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to choose between this one and How to train your dragon as my all-time favourite score to an animated movie. They both have simple, and extremely catchy themes, a sense of adventure, fun and emotion.

Rating: *****

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Pacific - Hans and friends

As usual, listening to this makes me want to listen to Band of Brothers, so even though I'm only a few minutes into it, I think I will.
  1. You have chosen ... wisely.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Somehow I ended up not listening to that, but instead navigated my iPod to...

Straw Dogs - Jerry Fielding

Haven't listened to this one often. Can't remember listening to it at all, in fact. Brilliant music.
  2. I've read, in its own way, Larry Groupe's score to the new remake coming, is very good.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011
    Patch Adams - Marc Shaiman

Typical Shaiman drama with a bit of syrup on the side (a pleasant thing that)

Judge Dredd - Alan Silvestri

One of the best action hero themes ever written. Nicely arranged album too (I don't get why people want the complete version of this).

The Comfort of Strangers - Angelo Badalamenti

The theme reminds me of one of Nino Rota's themes for the Godfather movies than anything else. Not one of Badalamenti's best.

The Rocketeer - James Horner

The best of today's listening so far.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

WOW! This is a real revelation compared to the old LP, there are details and sounds I never knew were there, I have a brand new appeciation of this score and I can't wait to play it again.

A big thankyou to Disney and Intrada for this fabulous release.

Just had to play it again!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011 edited
    NP: STEPMOM (John Williams)

Maudlin film, but lovely score! Beautiful guitar solos by Christopher Parkening. And woodwind writing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't seen it and don't want to. I like the score though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GOLDEN CHILD - John Barry

I'm enjoying this one a lot, the surprise release of the year.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

WOW! This is a real revelation compared to the old LP, there are details and sounds I never knew were there, I have a brand new appeciation of this score and I can't wait to play it again.

A big thankyou to Disney and Intrada for this fabulous release.

Just had to play it again!

Does anyone know how many scores THE BLASTER BEAM has been used in?

Off the top of my head I can think of...

THE BLACK HOLE
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE
    STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN
    PROPHECY
    METEOR

...any more?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Does anyone know how many scores THE BLASTER BEAM has been used in?

Off the top of my head I can think of...

THE BLACK HOLE
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE
    STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN
    PROPHECY
    METEOR

...any more?

Just read about it on wiki, and it claims that the instrument waqs also used in:

BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (Horner)
    CHRONOS (Stearns)
    2010 (Shire)
    FORBIDDEN WORLD (Justin)
    STAR WARS: ATTACK OF THE CLONES (Williams)
    THE THIN RED LINE (Zimmer)
    THE NEW WORLD (Horner)

Peter smile
  3. Weird, The THin Red Line makes use of COSMIC BEAM, performed by the creator of the instrument and a good friend of Malick - Francesco Lupica.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. NP: Source Code (Expanded Score) - Chris Bacon

Wonderful score. It has a Largo Winch/Paycheck vibe but with less synths and much more orchestral. I love the love theme, especially in Frozen Moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Source Code (Expanded Score) - Chris Bacon

Wonderful score. It has a Largo Winch/Paycheck vibe but with less synths and much more orchestral. I love the love theme, especially in Frozen Moment.

It works brilliantly in the film too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011 edited
    NP: THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS (John Williams)

The harmonica theme is great, the "suspense" music not so much. Or the hillbilly driving along-music. But it really deserves a proper release nonetheless, if nothing else because of its historical value, being the first Spielberg/Williams collaboration.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Source Code (Expanded Score) - Chris Bacon

It works brilliantly in the film too.

I know.
  6. NP: Mr. And Mrs. Smith (Complete Score) - John Powell

I've waited so long for the orchestral version of Mondo Bongo, I'm glad it was included. Same thing with the percussions in the house shooting scene.

By the way, I didn't know that Hans Zimmer wrote the Regency logo theme.
  7. THE GOLDEN CHILD - JOHN BARRY

Boy am I glad they keep releasing rejected scores of this calibre, much better than Colombier's effort but I can see how this could never have worked in an Eddie Murphy comedy. Still I imagine it being from a different film, I take it JB had a similar point of view. This is a purchase I'm more than happy with.

THE ROCKETEER - JAMES HORNER

I remember giving this album 4 stars many years ago, however now I have to say this is 5 easily, because it's pure orchestral Horner fun from beginning to end, which we simply don't hear anymore, featuring some of his greatest themes ("Jenny" is bloody beautiful). Even the two Cole Porter songs are great.

So in the end I have to say, bro, you should really add one more star in your review. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. NP: Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Complete Demos) - Desplat

This demos shows how much of Desplat's original music was cut or butchered in the film and CD release. Wedding Attack, Travelling Montage, Exodus (with the Obliviate theme), the big renditions of Voldemort and Hedwig's themes in the original version of Captured And Tortured. The bit in the cue Dobby which it was for the Malfoy Manor scene (which it was re-scored) and the piano version of My Love Is Always Here. The ideas of the score are much more developed here.
  9. John Powell - United 93

This and Wojciech Kilar's September Symphony will be my way of commemorating the 9/11 victims.

I find Powell's score deeply underrated, it is not an easy listen, but he did the closest thing to masterpiece given the style and themes of this wonderful film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    United 93 is one of those rare perfect scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. It is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (John Williams)

The original, black-cover Warner CD, which is all I ever need. Tried the Rhino 2CD once, but didn't suit my fancy, not even with the helicopter rescue "setpiece" track.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The biggest issue with the Warner CD is that there are two tracks missing that were on the the double LP release. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever since the complete LP presentation would have fit onto one CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011 edited
    True. That's strange.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Complete Demos) - Desplat

This demos shows how much of Desplat's original music was cut or butchered in the film and CD release. Travelling Montage, Exodus (with the Obliviate theme), the big renditions of Voldemort and Hedwig's themes in the original version of Captured And Tortured. The bit in the cue Dobby which it was for the Malfoy Manor scene (which it was re-scored). The ideas of the score are much more developed here.

This is going to be a serious test of my commitment to try to ignore sound quality issues and focus on the music itself...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  11. Scribe wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Complete Demos) - Desplat

This demos shows how much of Desplat's original music was cut or butchered in the film and CD release. Travelling Montage, Exodus (with the Obliviate theme), the big renditions of Voldemort and Hedwig's themes in the original version of Captured And Tortured. The bit in the cue Dobby which it was for the Malfoy Manor scene (which it was re-scored). The ideas of the score are much more developed here.

This is going to be a serious test of my commitment to try to ignore sound quality issues and focus on the music itself...

Well, it sound worst than your typical Midi synth but it's audible. I'm hoping that the complete score can be leaked to hear how better sounds, especially the version of Hedwig and Voldemort's themes in Harry To Malfoy Manor.
  12. Complete demos? That would be nice to hear. Sounds like it ended up being a bit more of a 'director's score'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Powell - United 93

This and Wojciech Kilar's September Symphony will be my way of commemorating the 9/11 victims.

I find Powell's score deeply underrated, it is not an easy listen, but he did the closest thing to masterpiece given the style and themes of this wonderful film.

It is a very good score, not easy to listen to though because it is so married to the images.