• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    The Borgias - Trevor Morris

All rather boring, really. Seems to work OK in the show itself but I barely ever notice it.

I have a Georges Delerue score for a BBC miniseries of the same thing 30 years earlier but can't remember a thing about it. Might listen to that later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

All rather boring, really. Seems to work OK in the show itself but I barely ever notice it.

I have a Georges Delerue score for a BBC miniseries of the same thing 30 years earlier but can't remember a thing about it. Might listen to that later.

Illaramendi's take on this subject matter is an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous score (except some suspense bits, which he doesn't do very well).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Agreed, Thor! I think I have Illarramendi's theme going around my head at the moment. Gorgeous!

(I may have to check that I have the right gorgeous Illarramendi theme.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Sometimes it's not easy to explain these things Erik, that score just doesn't resonate with me.

When is the last time you listened to it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Southall wrote

boring it really is, though it would have been too easy to copy the style of the Tudors, I wish he really did copy it, considering The Tudors' gorgeous overall
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Agreed, Thor! I think I have Illarramendi's theme going around my head at the moment. Gorgeous!

(I may have to check that I have the right gorgeous Illarramendi theme.)

My favourite is actually the funeral track (no. 14, I believe), which is a good example of my religious sound. But the main theme is wonderful too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sometimes it's not easy to explain these things Erik, that score just doesn't resonate with me.

-Erik-

Years ago now Erik, I'd have to dig it out from my LP's that are mostly stashed away in the attic if I wanted to reappraise it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    NP: STAR WARS ON CHURCH ORGAN (John Rose, organist)

And so I'm into my STAR WARS albums. First off is this weird curiousity album with the famous themes performed by John Rose on some church organ somewhere (forgot its name). It's quite fascinating, and many of the cues actually work very well in this setting!

I utterly dislike that album.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I had the LP once but I don't remember the music at all either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

And so I'm into my STAR WARS albums. First off is this weird curiousity album with the famous themes performed by John Rose on some church organ somewhere (forgot its name). It's quite fascinating, and many of the cues actually work very well in this setting!

Really? I think it's very cute and rewarding. Then I like organ music in general. My only beef is the sound quality; with the low parts being too low.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

Years ago now Erik, I'd have to dig it out from my LP's that are mostly stashed away in the attic if I wanted to reappraise it.

Please do... or PM if you want to hear the CD.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I doubt it'll change my mind, I remember the score quite well, as I said, I did play it multiple times when I first bought it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I also remember HATING Medicine Man, returned the CD only to purchase it again YEARS later and falling in love with it. Give it one more go!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I also remember HATING Medicine Man, returned the CD only to purchase it again YEARS later and falling in love with it. Give it one more go!

-Erik-

Well, that's me n' you both there Erik ( except I didn't return the CD ) as I bought Medicine Man, played it twice and dimissed it only to re-listen years later and fall in love with it.

It's no problem to set up the LP player and it isn't too much of a problem getting out the LP, I will give it another listen but like I said, I remember the score quite well, with Medicine Man I'd totally forgotten what it sounded like until re-listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I liked MEDICINE MAN upon first listen, and have kept my interest in it ever since!

NP: SKETCHES ON STAR WARS (John Williams)

Jazz arrangements by the Terry Trotter Trio. This is cute too, and several of the tracks work very well (except the main theme).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Really? I think it's very cute and rewarding. Then I like organ music in general. My only beef is the sound quality; with the low parts being too low.

Ah, I meant to link to my Amazon review of the album, which I still reflects my feelings to this day.
    A curio, nothing more.

Thor wrote
    NP: SKETCHES ON STAR WARS (John Williams)

Jazz arrangements by the Terry Trotter Trio. This is cute too, and several of the tracks work very well (except the main theme).

Now that is a great album. I especially like their rendition of The Force Theme and Ewok Celebration.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

Very surprised to hear a score like this from Newman at this stage of his career. At times it's super-minimalistic (not minimalist), it's always distinctly him, but there's not really much to it. Fairly straightforward action and suspense music, lots of percussion and synths, the sort of thing he could do in his sleep. It's not bad by any means, but by his standards must rank as a disappointment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Lo chiamavano Trinità (Franco Micalizzi)

Fantastic album. Always makes me in a great mood. I normally loath songs, but I always end up whistling and singing along to the main theme song. Besides the tracks featuring the main theme every other track introduces a new good tune which makes the album hugely enjoyable from start to finish.

****½

Peter punk
  3. johnbijl wrote
    I just did a Mission:Impossible marathon while writing.

I started of with Lalo, still as funky as the day it was recorded. Elfman's score is one of my favorite albums ever! The music is to big for any film, but as a cd it is vivacious! With Zimmer I'm not sure what's going on. I like the first rock-track, but because of the rock. As for the rest, it sounds like bad Schlager doing exotics.

And now Giacchino's. Nice album, well functioning score. The lack of front bench themes make it a score tough to get behind. I can see its benefits. It just doesn't engage me. If you now what I mean.

Did you listen to Silvestri's rejected M:I1 score, too?

Elfman's score is one my y personal absolute favorites by him; indeed, I would say it's easy a Top 10 score by him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. plindboe wrote
    Lo chiamavano Trinità (Franco Micalizzi)

Fantastic album. Always makes me in a great mood. I normally loath songs, but I always end up whistling and singing along to the main theme song. Besides the tracks featuring the main theme every other track introduces a new good tune which makes the album hugely enjoyable from start to finish.

****½

Peter punk

Listening to the clips from this now and there are a couple of tracks that do sound appealing - that's the ones that have no singing, minimal whistling and hardly any Hammond organ or plucky banjo!
    wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to the clips from this now and there are a couple of tracks that do sound appealing - that's the ones that have no singing, minimal whistling and hardly any Hammond organ or plucky banjo!
    wink

Yep, lots of other good tracks, but you'll fall for the whistling and singing soon enough. It's too charming and catchy not to like.

Peter wink
  5. plindboe wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    wink

Yep, lots of other good tracks, but you'll fall for the whistling and singing soon enough. It's too charming and catchy not to like.

Peter wink

I think that you will find that I am not "falling" but actively throwing myself off a high place if I had to listen to all those tracks in full! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 'BOOM!' - John Barry

One of my favourites, an incredibly dark score, very moody with strange orchestration, I love it! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I think that you will find that I am not "falling" but actively throwing myself off a high place if I had to listen to all those tracks in full! wink

Hehe. wink

Shame though. It's really fun if you like that sorta thing.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Gunslinger girl (Sahashi)

Think this is to some weird anime about kids with cybernetic implants killing people for the government. Despite this crazy premise, the music is beautiful with lots of piano. The Mozarty main theme is pretty decent. Ansia is a delicious simple little piece aa well. Several other highlights.

Peter smile
  6. Southall wrote
    The Debt - Thomas Newman

Very surprised to hear a score like this from Newman at this stage of his career. At times it's super-minimalistic (not minimalist), it's always distinctly him, but there's not really much to it. Fairly straightforward action and suspense music, lots of percussion and synths, the sort of thing he could do in his sleep. It's not bad by any means, but by his standards must rank as a disappointment.

I sampled it a while ago, and it sounds like it will be the closest Newman will ever get to scoring an action film.
  7. I read somewhere that it was looking like he was going to get the new Bond film; he's also worked with the director before, so ... looks like he might have the chance.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Unless Arnold steps down HE is the Bond composer no matter who directs the film!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Our Mother's House - Georges Delerue

The opening titles are enough to melt any heart. Gorgeous theme.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    I read somewhere that it was looking like he was going to get the new Bond film; he's also worked with the director before, so ... looks like he might have the chance.

That would be fucking awesome, but Sam Mendes broke away from Newman when he directed Away We Go.