• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    I just played HEAVEN AND EARTH by Kitaro.

I love that theme. That first track is super powerful. There are several other tracks on the album that are also very good. I'm a little put off by some of Kitaro's synthy new age tendencies. For example, I quite dislike the first couple minutes of the end titles. But I really enjoy a lot of this score when he's using real instruments.

I've thought about picking up Kitaro's THE SOONG SISTERS. Anyone familiar with that? How does that one compare to this? Is there much of his new age-y synthiness going on there?

It's more orchestral, with a memorable main theme. Just as good as Heaven and Earth.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011
    I like Heaven & Earth, I need to listen to it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE RIVER (John Williams)

Somewhat mournful and downbeat, but very rewarding jazz score for this decent Mel Gibson/Sissy Spacek drama. Doesn't get talked about a lot.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: My own High Seas playlist.
    Monkey Island, Cutthroat Island, Treasure Island, Sea Dogs, Captain Blood, and many more!

''I never know why men come back from sea.
    The sea is cruel but the sea is clean.
    The cause of this vast purity must be
    That men at sea are few and far between.

Hardship is all she ever gave me
    Yet I ask why men come back from sea?
    The sea is cruel but the sea is clean.
    Oh, poor brown Earth, how kind you might have been.''
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Justin, I agree to some extent. There's a bit of Basil's bloodedness in Yared's TROY. It doesn't quite come pulse to life in quite the same way for me though.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Monkey Island, Cutthroat Island, Treasure Island, Sea Dogs, Captain Blood, and many more!'

Sounds like a jaunty ride indeed!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROSEWOOD (John Williams)

Probably the least-talked about of JW's more recent scores. Too bad, though, because it's really good. More down-and-dirty Americana in the vein of MISSOURI BREAKS, REIVERS etc. The gospel hymn "Look Down Lord" is pure bliss. It sounds so big and grounded at the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Monkey Island, Cutthroat Island, Treasure Island, Sea Dogs, Captain Blood, and many more!'

Sounds like a jaunty ride indeed!

't Is, and surely I could down me a tankard of grog at this hourglass, matey!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Captain America - Alan Silvestri

Not quite up to the same level as Judge Dredd, but it's nice to hear another full-bodied orchestral work from Silvestri (even if I like the actual Medal of Honor theme better).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Captain America - Alan Silvestri

Not quite up to the same level as Judge Dredd, but it's nice to hear another full-bodied orchestral work from Silvestri (even if I like the actual Medal of Honor theme better).

The march (the rerecorded one) is fun, the rest is 'meh'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SABRINA (John Williams)

Another breezy jazz score, although it does get a bit sickly sweet on occasion (esp. in the saccharine film itself). The theme song "In the Moonlight" is pretty nice -- even in Sting's warbling voice -- but it DOES bear an uncanny resemblance to "Make Me Rainbows" from FITZWILLY.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Treasure Island - The Chieftains

Thanks to Martijn's post over on Facebook I was directed to an album called "Film Cuts" that features music from their own score compositions and tracks that they were involved with for larger films (e.g., Far and Away, The Grey Fox).

I think that this version of Treasure Island may be one produced in Ireland - hence the Chieftains link? But it boasts a cast including Charlton Heston, Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee and Christian Bale.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: SABRINA (John Williams)

Another breezy jazz score, although it does get a bit sickly sweet on occasion (esp. in the saccharine film itself). The theme song "In the Moonlight" is pretty nice -- even in Sting's warbling voice -- but it DOES bear an uncanny resemblance to "Make Me Rainbows" from FITZWILLY.

Sting has a good voice, it's just that I can't stand him, he's such a pretentious knob head.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

Great score and possibly my favourite of the composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011 edited
    NP: Prince of Persia ~HGW

Oh my! It's the kind of score which creates pictures in my mind. In this case running in the desert with a horse or watching the moon from an oasis... Yea, yea I know! I'm a hopeless case! rolleyes Nevertheless, listening to it is pure magic! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Treasure Island - The Chieftains
    I think that this version of Treasure Island may be one produced in Ireland - hence the Chieftains link?

No idea?
    I just know it's a Turner Network production, is all.

But a fine, fine film, with an excellent score.

I always just assumed they hired The Chieftains for a proper "sea shanty" type of feel.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Prince of Persia ~HGW

Oh my! It's the kind of score which creates pictures in my mind. In this case running in the desert with a horse or watching the moon from an oasis... Yea, yea I know! I'm a hopeless case! rolleyes Nevertheless, listning to it is pure magic! smile

Ahhhhh! Nothing beats a flight of fancy cool beer
  4. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Treasure Island - The Chieftains
    I think that this version of Treasure Island may be one produced in Ireland - hence the Chieftains link?

No idea?
    I just know it's a Turner Network production, is all.

But a fine, fine film, with an excellent score.

I always just assumed they hired The Chieftains for a proper "sea shanty" type of feel.

1990 TV movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100813/fullcredits
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SIDEWAYS - Rolfe Kent

I love this album, a great listen. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote

1990 TV movie:

I know. smile
    It's one of my favourite films.

I just am not aware of any obvious links to Ireland as far as the production went. (But come to think of it: that shoukd be on IMDB as well!)
  5. Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote

1990 TV movie:

I know. smile

I just am not aware of any obvious links to Ireland as far as the production went. (But come to think of it: that shoukd be on IMDB as well!)

That Ireland link is probably an error on my part! shame

Even I am not sure where I got that from.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote

1990 TV movie:

I know. smile

Remember us all drinking here? wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandoger_Trow
  6. NP: HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES - Panu Aaltio

First listen. This is lovely! I'm really enjoying this a great deal. I'm only a little more than halfway through, but this is just really impressive, with some lovely themes. I ADORE that theme in the second track!
  7. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote

1990 TV movie:

I know. smile

Remember us all drinking here? wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandoger_Trow

I certainly do! A highlight in a day of highlights.

Thanks for the link. It was very interesting. I am sure you must have told us all a lot of the information on the day too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA GUERRE DU FEU ( QUEST FOR FIRE ) - Philippe Sarde

Magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011 edited
    NP: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (John Williams)

A score I didn't like too much at first (too slow and meandering), but now like very much. I'm getting tired at pointing out how good Williams is at Americana or subtle (and not-so-subtle) patriotism, but it applies here too. Unlike, say, A TIMELESS CALL, I think it's done very tastefully here. Not too heavyhanded.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

Bliss!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

It's on TV but I'd rather listen to the CD cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011 edited
    A change of tone from the Williams -

NP: The Secret Agent - Philip Glass

Not the original recording, but a suite arranged for cello octet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2011
    As Good as it Gets - Hans Zimmer

Lovely score. Very nice tunes.