• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    NP: PENELOPE (John Williams)

The regular Chapter III release, not the complete FSM version which I have no need for. Another breezy jazz album in the vein of NWMWYD above. Perhaps even slightly better.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011 edited
    NP: THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (John Williams)

I've tried many times, but I just don't connect to this score. Again with all the sturm-und-drang. Could probably have worked better in a non-C&C format, as there are some highlights. The main theme is OK, there's a fine, albeit cheesy love theme and a few bits and pieces here and there. But it's my least favourite of his Irwin Allen scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (John Williams)

I've tried many times, but I just don't connect to this score. Again with all the sturm-und-drang. Could probably have worked better in a non-C&C format, as there are some highlights. The main theme is OK, there's a fine, albeit cheesy love theme and a few bits and pieces here and there. But it's my least favourite of his Irwin Allen scores.

The Main Theme is not okay, The Main Theme is EXCELLENT! I agree that there's not much else to recommend it though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Hans Zimmer - Thelma & Louise

A largely forgotten score, very good atmospheric material and the chase cue has always been a highlight for him. Deserves a remastered release, it's a short score, which complete and chronological would present 40 minutes of material *including* the Thunderbird cue that's on the original CD.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The postman did tell me you were next on his list. wink

How nice of him, is he walking here!? uhm
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH - David Arnold

It's a shame there's some fine music left off the release, on the other hand I couldn't handle a complete release.

I would LOVE an expanded/complete release of this score. Something like Chapter III's Tomorrow Never Die Expanded release would be lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Crimson Tide - Complete Score - Hans Zimmer

Goodness. I love this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote

Superb score, one of my favourites. But I'm obviously content with the original release. It's the perfect length and arrangement.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PRESUMED INNOCENT (John Williams)

I've never understood why this gets so much flack, being dull etc. I think it's lovely, exactly the kind of music I love to listen to these days. Mysterious, lowkey, powerful all at the same time.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    lp wrote

Superb score, one of my favourites. But I'm obviously content with the original release. It's the perfect length and arrangement.

Length yes, arrangement no. And there is important material missing.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes. And he'll be following the line of red rubber bands he has left lying all over the place.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

SO ON POINT! There's something about this score that always interests me. It's quite moody and melodic in the way that it weaves motifs into and between the synth/orchestra layers. Hell, it's just a superb score for an excellent movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes. And he'll be following the line of red rubber bands he has left lying all over the place.

I'll start walking now, we can meet midway rolleyes I'll assume he took a different route if I reach your house without seeing him angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH - David Arnold

It's a shame there's some fine music left off the release, on the other hand I couldn't handle a complete release.

I would LOVE an expanded/complete release of this score. Something like Chapter III's Tomorrow Never Die Expanded release would be lovely.

As I said, I wouldn't want a 'complete' release but hey, beggers can't be choosers, so I'll take a complete for those extra cues I like so much. wink
  4. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I'll start walking now, we can meet midway rolleyes I'll assume he took a different route if I reach your house without seeing him angry

I think that that would be a safe assumption to make.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

I don't care if there's an unreleased Beethoven symphony missing. What matters is only what I hold in my hand and how that holds up on its own. The album ends exactly when it's supposed to -- BEFORE it goes overboard and becomes too much (after all, some of the action music is fairly heavy and could easily grate). Also, there's a great overall dramaturgy to it, as well as a great mix between action and calmer/more powerful material. The setpieces are spread out wonderfully.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote

I don't care if there's an unreleased Beethoven symphony missing. What matters is only what I hold in my hand and how that holds up on its own. The album ends exactly when it's supposed to -- BEFORE it goes overboard and becomes too much (after all, some of the action music is fairly heavy and could easily grate). Also, there's a great overall dramaturgy to it, as well as a great mix between action and calmer/more powerful material. The setpieces are spread out wonderfully.

Agreed. The Crimson Tide release was an excellently compiled album. Kudos to Jeff Rona for that. But as a big fan of the score and movie, I wanted to hear more, and this current version is very well done.
  5. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    My copy of this has just been delivered!

Before ME!!!? uhm

Sorry to rub salt into your wounds Tim but I am listening to The Black Hole at the moment and I am loving it! I heard details in the main title track that I hadn't heard before (I had only a CD-R of the original LP release I think). "That's It" is such a great cue. I too love that blaster beam!!

I have never been able to picture what the blaster beam looks like but I found this video on YouTube showing Craig Huxley demonstrating it in action!! Awesome!
    shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE PATRIOT (John Williams)

Sure, it's Williams on Americana/patriotic autopilot, but it's difficult to DISlike it. Soaring and beautiful, as always.

I'm not a fan of the action music. This is the score where Williams really began to compose those empty, themeless, chirping brass action cues that now dominates a good portion of his modern action material. "Tavington's Trap" is one of the worst scored scenes of Williams career! All this chaotic, aimless scoring for a slow motion fight scene! It might be fine on it's own but it's awful in the film. And heroic Patriot theme treads ever so close to Williams own theme to Amistad!

However, with all that said, the more dramatic material (which would be revisited in Revenge of the Sith) is excellent! "The Burning of the Plantation" is a major highlight of the score! No one does music of this sort better than Williams. "Susan Speaks" bring a tear to your eye! The A Patriot theme gets turned into a lovely little love theme in "Ann and Gabriel" written for harpsichord and flute. And the end credits cue - labeled "The Patriot" on the soundtrack - is one of Williams finest and most memorable end credit pieces!

So, there are more highlight then low lights but some of the action music irritates me... I don't say that too often about Williams.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    christopher wrote
    christopher wrote
    I'm not familiar with all of those

muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Which ones?

2) As It (Perhaps) Was "I Captue the Castle" by Dario Marianelli
    (Though I just bought this on your recommendation in the MSM thread)
    9) Overture "Much Ado About Nothing" by Patrick Doyle
    12) Finale (East of Eden) by Lee Holdridge
    13) Beauty and the Beast "100 Greatest Tv Themes, Vol. 2" Prague Philharmonic
    18) One Can Die of Love "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    19) Revolver (Blood in the Streets) "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    22) Sighs and Sighs "Phantom of the Opera" by Ennio Morricone
    29) Winter Ride "Suite St. Petersburg" by Kostia
    30) Piano Suite "Secondhand Lions" by Patrick Doyle
    (I've seen the film and remember liking the music, but I couldn't identify this if I heard it again)
    31) The Blood of Cu Chulainn "A Celtic Romance" by Mychael and Jeff Danna
    32) Temptress Moon - Take for Granted "Farwell My Concubine" by City Prague Philharmonic
    33) Lovers (Mei and Jin) "House of Flying Daggers" by Shigeru Umebayashi
    35) The Beginning of the Partnership "Shakespeare in Love" by Stephen Warbeck
    40) Mother "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    41) Summer Road "Kikujiro" by Joe Hisaishi
    42) Reprise "Spirited Away" by Joe Hisaishi
    (Again, I've seen the film, and remember the music seemed to be a lot of Hisaishi's typical piano-y stuff)

From that list, these are the ones I think are wonderful:

18) One Can Die of Love "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    19) Revolver (Blood in the Streets) "Ennio Morricone with Love" by Ennio Morricone
    22) Sighs and Sighs "Phantom of the Opera" by Ennio Morricone
    31) The Blood of Cu Chulainn "A Celtic Romance" by Mychael and Jeff Danna
    33) Lovers (Mei and Jin) "House of Flying Daggers" by Shigeru Umebayashi

I highly recommend that you check those out. In fact if you like celtic music "A celtic tale" and "A celtic romance" by Mychael and Jeff Danna might be two of the best buys you will ever make.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    NP: NIXON (John Williams)

Very good score. Love the religious sound in "Meeting with Mao", as well as the Americana bits, which he always does brilliantly. Some eerie suspense music too.

One of my favourite Willy scores.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    My copy of this has just been delivered!

Before ME!!!? uhm

Sorry to rub salt into your wounds Tim but I am listening to The Black Hole at the moment and I am loving it! I heard details in the main title track that I hadn't heard before (I had only a CD-R of the original LP release I think). "That's It" is such a great cue. I too love that blaster beam!!

I have never been able to picture what the blaster beam looks like but I found this video on YouTube showing Craig Huxley demonstrating it in action!! Awesome!
    shocked

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it Alan, from your comments and the 100's of comments at FSM it sounds like the new audio experience is a real ear-opener.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The secret of NIMH (Goldsmith)

Meh.

Peter slant

shocked It's not Goldsmith's best but its still fantastic compared to most 2011 stuff...

I haven't heard many 2011, but of the ones I've heard I prefer most of them over this particular Goldsmith album. Then again, I'm one of those rare film music fans who think that film music today is alive and vibrant.

I'm a fan of Goldsmith, mainly because I think he nearly always delivers some extraordinary themes, but the themes from The secret of NIMH haven't made much of an impact on me yet. But perhaps some day I will get it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    Agree totally! I sold my CD awhile back.

beer

Timmer wrote
    It's a wonderful score! There's a few bits I don't like ( that BLARING trumpet, what the hey was JG thinking ) but mostly it's a wonderfully mystical score with great use of choir, this is Jerry channeling Ravel and Debussy and I like it a lot!

I will give it another chance due to your comment.

justin boggan wrote
    I'll be happy to trade you "Meh" CD off you. I got a few pressed CDs, and of course a large list of unreleased/expanded scores.

Sorry, I only have this one as mp3, so I don't have an official CD to trade. Thanks for the offer though.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

One of the great Golden Age scores IMO and a fabulous film to boot ( why oh why did they make an awful remake ), the romantic theme is one of the most yearning you'll hear.

You don't like Badelt's score for the remake? Personally I'm thrilled that they made a remake, otherwise this music wouldn't have existed.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thor wrote
    NP: PRESUMED INNOCENT (John Williams)

I've never understood why this gets so much flack, being dull etc. I think it's lovely, exactly the kind of music I love to listen to these days. Mysterious, lowkey, powerful all at the same time.

Perhaps it gets flack because it's so unlike Williams' other scores. Personally I think it's one of his most enjoyable, with one of my all-time favourite themes.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

One of the great Golden Age scores IMO and a fabulous film to boot ( why oh why did they make an awful remake ), the romantic theme is one of the most yearning you'll hear.

You don't like Badelt's score for the remake? Personally I'm thrilled that they made a remake, otherwise this music wouldn't have existed.

Peter smile

I wasn't talking about the music, I was talking about the film. I haven't got a problem with classics being remade ( hell, how many version of A Christmas Carol, or Jane Eyre are there? ) it's just that this one was done appallingly.

I innitially didn't like Badelt's TIME MACHINE score but it's grown on me over the years, as has Badelt who is a better composer than I originally gave him credit for.
  6. NP: Kingdom of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams.

The percussion in this score is just so awesome. And I'm in love with any film score that features the duduk as a key instrument. smile One of my absolute favorites!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I wasn't talking about the music, I was talking about the film. I haven't got a problem with classics being remade ( hell, how many version of A Christmas Carol, or Jane Eyre are there? ) it's just that this one was done appallingly.

Ah, ok. I haven't seen the original I must admit. The remake had some interesting moments, but indeed a mediocre film.

Timmer wrote
    I innitially didn't like Badelt's TIME MACHINE score but it's grown on me over the years, as has Badelt who is a better composer than I originally gave him credit for.

He can indeed really excel when he puts his mind to it. "Rescue dawn" and "Wu ji" testifies to that.

Strange though that we never hear about him anymore, even though he seems to churn out scores at a high frequence.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I heartily recommend you see the George Pal version, it's got real heart to it and it still tears me up everytime I see it ( which has been a lot of times ).