• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011 edited
    Will check it out sometime.

Peter thumbsup
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I heartily recommend you see the George Pal version, it's got real heart to it and it still tears me up everytime I see it ( which has been a lot of times ).

Here's one of the pieces from Garcia's score and one of my favourite tracks, I think it's beautifully exquisite, give it a listen....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkVT8GsF … re=related
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Yes, I know that theme. It is extraordinary.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    I innitially didn't like Badelt's TIME MACHINE score but it's grown on me over the years, as has Badelt who is a better composer than I originally gave him credit for.

punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I innitially didn't like Badelt's TIME MACHINE score but it's grown on me over the years, as has Badelt who is a better composer than I originally gave him credit for.

punk

i'm proof that leopards can change their spots wink

...now go listen to the beautiful Garcia piece I posted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Very beautiful cue for one of the most beloved films of my childhood.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. The Deathly Hallows Part II - Alexandre Desplat

I have now finished the score and I'm impressed once again. One of the best of his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Better Life - Alexandre Desplat

Hardly had time to listen to any music lately, so bloody busy (and still working now, at home, 14 hours after starting work at work!) but this one is great.

Have been sent a load of stuff to review in the last month and just haven't had time - feeling bad about that and hope I can get back on track. Looking forward to listening to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy next.
  2. ^^ I'm curious about your thoughts on Desplat's second effort on Harry Potter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So am I! I've had it for who knows how long but have only listened to it once. My first impression was that I didn't like it as much as his first one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Its not as strong on album as the first one, but it works even stronger in the film. The scene with the dragon with the triumphant statement of Lily's theme is now one of my favorite moments of the series entirely because of the music.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Besides, Desplat used much more Hedwig's theme in the score than Doyle and Hooper in their scores. If there's something I don't like it's that Part 1 was a much more Desplat-esque score. This one had influences from the Inception/Dark Knight temp track they used for the test screening in Chicago. But Desplat managed to keep his emotional style with the Battle of Hogwarts theme and Lily's theme in Statues, Courtyard Apocalypse, The Resurrection Stone and A New Beginning.

I also love the Elfman-esque Broomsticks And Fire which it has the Obliviate and Horcrux themes in action mode. Some of the choral moments are wonderful, but I hate how low mixed they are (specially the male voices in Procession)

Southall wrote
    A Better Life - Alexandre Desplat

Hardly had time to listen to any music lately, so bloody busy (and still working now, at home, 14 hours after starting work at work!) but this one is great.

Have been sent a load of stuff to review in the last month and just haven't had time - feeling bad about that and hope I can get back on track. Looking forward to listening to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy next.

I reccomend Le Fille Du Puisatier. It's smaller than A Better Life, but it has two beautiful main themes. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is avaible to listen in the soundtrack website: www.tinkertailorsoldierspy.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011
    Been listening to.

Dune (Toto)

cool Sublime! cool

Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP: Kingdom of Heaven - Harry Gregson-Williams.

The percussion in this score is just so awesome. And I'm in love with any film score that features the duduk as a key instrument. smile One of my absolute favorites!

Thanks for reminding me. I shall listen to this next.

Peter smile
  4. NP: Conan the Barbarian (Poledouris)

Or I was. The Tadlow version.
    Firstly, I think this is great. So nice to hear a good recording.
    Secondly, I don't mind the scraping noise in 'Wheel of Pain'. Maybe it's about expectations when you first hear it. I was told before hearing it the sound would be different, and it seems a valid musical choice to me. I know where I can hear the old album.
    Thirdly, I do wish there was a one disc version with the very best of it. (Probably the old 16 tracks plus a few special extras.) I would play that most of the time, and will end up making one.
    Fourthly, and it's the only criticism I will ever voice of this score... my only reservation with it as a score is that there are a few setpieces in the second half which very much feel like a copy-paste-edit of previous tracks. The action scene following the orgy, some of the battle of the mounds, and the end credits all come to mind. This is not unusual for scores, but it stands out here because of the ways the score, in every other sense, finds inventive and inspiring ways through scenes. (e.g. the orgy, the temple of set, the riders of doom are all scored through the action).
    Fifthly, what a great score. Who can do this now? May he who can name a name, name it!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Conan the Barbarian (Poledouris)
    Secondly, I don't mind the scraping noise in 'Wheel of Pain'. Maybe it's about expectations when you first hear it. I was told before hearing it the sound would be different, and it seems a valid musical choice to me. I know where I can hear the old album.

I didn't like their "musical" decision. The scrap isn't supposed to be musical... it's supposed to represent pain and torture. It's too "nice" now.

Minus a few performance flubs, missed notes and remastering issues (even though Tadlow says their isn't) it is a solid album. However, once Intrada's complete and remastered edition of the original soundtrack recording comes out THAT will be the only Conan album I will spin.

franz_conrad wrote
    Fifthly, what a great score. Who can do this now? May he who can name a name, name it!

It CAN be done but Hollywood producers and directors don't want this style of music any more. However, their are some very gifted Spanish composers that have certainly tried to keep that old, classic sound alive. Give LA HERENCIA VALDEMAR I and II by Arnau Bataller a spin. And their are some great game scores that are just as lyrical!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I didn't like their "musical" decision. The scrap isn't supposed to be musical... it's supposed to represent pain and torture. It's too "nice" now.

Minus a few performance flubs, missed notes and remastering issues (even though Tadlow says their isn't) it is a solid album. However, once Intrada's complete and remastered edition of the original soundtrack recording comes out THAT will be the only Conan album I will spin.

Um, well, enjoy is all I can say. There are more flubs in the TARAS BULBA rerecording than this (makes sense, the music is harder to play). In this, I wasn't even sure they were flubs, as there were so many botch-jobs in the original I'm not even sure what is right when it comes to CONAN music. wink

To be honest, with the wheel, it sounds like a sound effect to me. It sounds brutal. I don't know, this just sounds like another case of soundtrack fan 'first love' to me. (* 'First love' -- never fades, never bettered, (never really mattered).)

franz_conrad wrote

It CAN be done but Hollywood producers and directors don't want this style of music any more. However, their are some very gifted Spanish composers that have certainly tried to keep that old, classic sound alive. Give LA HERENCIA VALDEMAR I and II by Arnau Bataller a spin. And their are some great game scores that are just as lyrical!
    -Erik-

I was thinking a little more of Poledouris' Greek background and his taste for that more polyphonic style of composition. It's got identity -- it doesn't sound like someone else would have written it at the time. Who else has that now who even has a shot at big things? So many of the film composers now -- even well established ones, like Howard Shore -- seem to instinctively default to a kind of 'left hand / right hand -- if you can play it on piano / you can play it on an orchestra'. While I agree the filmmakers are asking for a different music, if composers are coming in to film based on growing up in the 90s, they probably aren't as capable compositionally as their forebears. The next big names of film music (I will not name them) haven't even begun to show an interest in this sort of thing.

BUT ANYWAY, THE MAIN THING IS: WE BOTH LIKE THIS SCORE. LONG MAY IT REIGN.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Very beautiful cue for one of the most beloved films of my childhood.

bhangra cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer

Great score, very enjoyable album. Not so good in the film but then the film wasn't very good anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote

Or I was. The Tadlow version.
    Firstly, I think this is great.

Yes.

Sorry. That's it.
    I have no searing insights or witticisms to contribute.
    I just felt an overwhelming need to quote you for truth and the sake of posterity.
    God bless you, son. God bless you.

Krzesimir Debski.
    There is MUCH unknown and shamefully untapped talent over in the east.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Ah, the East you say! That I could agree. The best in the west seem to come from the east these days.

(* Where east is a continuous direction up to and including the international date line. To all in that great east who have something to show, send it west, by jove, send it west.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    Krzesimir Debski.
    There is MUCH unknown and shamefully untapped talent over in the east.

*starts up slsk*
    *searches*
    *acquires random thing by him*
    *anticipates*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote

I suggest Stara Basn and Ogniem e Mesziem to start with.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Battle Los Angeles (Complete Score) - Brian Tyler

Way better than the original release, even more with the original chronological order. I love the original version of For Home, Country and Family than the one they used for the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Odd, that's really far down on the list of scores I suspect would be improved by a "complete"...there were already 78 minutes of mostly repetitive music on the album.
  8. Yes. But it sounds better like this without the cuts or tracks mixed. And more choir. By the way, I'm surprised how many complete scores have been leaked so far. I hope there's more.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Lives of Others - Gabriel Yared

Been a while since I've listened to this. Very dour and low-key but captures the tone of the film perfectly.
  9. I like that one. A good example of a short score that doesn't really need to be longer. (Georges Delerue's Le Mepris, which I listened to last night, is another such case.)

NP: De Battre Mon Couer S'est Arrete (Desplat)
    Probably one of the most essential Desplat scores. The 23 minute suite is one I've played many times, one of the strong minimalist album presentations for a film score.
  10. Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote

I suggest Stara Basn and Ogniem e Mesziem to start with.

And I second those recommendations.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. It's "Ogniem i mieczem"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website