• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2011 edited
    NP: Arabian Nights ~ Richard Harvey

I'm in a middle - eastern mood these days and this one is wonderful! Very well written, full of original ideas! Harvey is such an excellent musician and an exceptional composer very underrated in my opinion!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Southall wrote
    As Good as it Gets - Hans Zimmer

Lovely score. Very nice tunes.

I happen to prefer Spanglish, which I think has Hans's all-time best orchestrations, but As Good As It Gets is beautiful, yes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2011
    NP : BLACK ROBE - Georges Delerue

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

cool

The "suspense" music in this (and AGNES OF GOD) grates a bit, but the rest is bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

The "suspense" music in this (and AGNES OF GOD) grates a bit, but the rest is bliss!

I like the suspense music.

NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

Wonderful score, really wonderful!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm in a Williams mood, which actually, is often considering my love for the other Williams, Ralph Vaughan. cool

NP : NIXON - John Williams

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Join the club, Timmer!

NP: SCHINDLER'S LIST (John Williams)

Can't say much that hasn't already been said. I prefer "Remembrances" over the far more famous main theme, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Much Ado About Nothing - Patrick Doyle

I much prefer Doyle's scores of the 1990s comparatively to the 2000s (although there is quality there, particularly Goblet of Fire).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Much Ado About Nothing - Patrick Doyle

I much prefer Doyle's scores of the 1990s comparatively to the 2000s (although there is quality there, particularly Goblet of Fire).

Agreed!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Agreed!

Even with the chord-stop wink
  4. Thor wrote
    NP: SCHINDLER'S LIST (John Williams)

Can't say much that hasn't already been said. I prefer "Remembrances" over the far more famous main theme, though.

So do I. It's much more cathartic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Agreed!

Even with the chord-stop wink

Yes, even with the "chord-stop". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2011 edited
    NP: THE SCREAMING WOMAN (John Williams)

An unreleased, wildly atonal score by Williams, almost in IMAGES-territory for this 1972 tv movie. But damn, I could be without Olivia de Havilland's screaming in the first track (this obviously comes from an audio rip).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. La Fille du Puisatier - Alexandre Desplat

I'm starting to think that Desplat's French scores are better than his American ones...
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: THE SCREAMING WOMAN (John Williams)

An unreleased, wildly atonal score by Williams, almost in IMAGES-territory for this 1972 tv movie. But damn, I could be without Olivia de Havilland's screaming in the first track (this obviously comes from an audio rip).

Then that would be false advertising if there wasn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True.

NP: THE SECRET WAYS (John Williams)

Love the opening fugue, in particular, with the "Duel of the Fates"-like ostinato. Some pretty good writing for cembalom too. Nice 5-note danger motif. But also lots of melodramatic sturm-und-drang. This could be Williams' first "serious" score and deserves a proper release.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Voyageurs du ciel et de la mer - Bruno Coulais

A very small, but gentile score. There's the typical Coulais writing, but almost no synths and sound effects, it's fully orchestral. There's some theme in here, performed by the children chorus and orchestra in La Complainte Du Vent (Choeur) and in clarinet in La Complainte Du Vent (Instrumental).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET (John Williams)

The main theme is fabulous and there's some really sweeping themes to take home too. Plus all the "exotic" effects conjuring up the folks and cultures of Tibet -- Hollywood-style, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I'm in a Williams mood, which actually, is often considering my love for the other Williams, Ralph Vaughan. cool

love

Really like this entry from Williams.
    I often thought the opening track (especially the last half) could have been an alternate cue for Star Wars Episode 3 with the opening 3 notes of the "Imperial March" that eventually morphs into the "Across The Stars" love theme musically expounding Anakin's struggle and fall mixed with the threat of destroying his life with Padme.
    Well, that's my sad and geeky head space anyway!
    I guess the actual music was written about some American President.
  8. Ride with the Devil - Mychael Danna

Strong entry into the western genre by Danna.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

love

Really like this entry from Williams.
    I often thought the opening track (especially the last half) could have been an alternate cue for Star Wars Episode 3 with the opening 3 notes of the "Imperial March" that eventually morphs into the "Across The Stars" love theme musically expounding Anakin's struggle and fall mixed with the threat of destroying his life with Padme.
    Well, that's my sad and geeky head space anyway!
    I guess the actual music was written about some American President.

Darn, and there I thought it was about TV magician David Nixon slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Ride with the Devil - Mychael Danna

One of my favourites from this Danna brother.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET (John Williams)

The main theme is fabulous and there's some really sweeping themes to take home too. Plus all the "exotic" effects conjuring up the folks and cultures of Tibet -- Hollywood-style, of course.

Very underrated IMO. A lovely score.
  9. KevinSmith wrote

How did you get a hold of that? I couldn't find it anywhere online.
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    La Fille du Puisatier - Alexandre Desplat

I'm starting to think that Desplat's French scores are better than his American ones...

Yeah, between this, Lust Caution, L'Ennemi Intime, and Inquietudes, I'm starting to like Desplat's non-American scores more than his American ones.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Letting rip an old favourite: Last of the Mohicans- Trevor Jones.

'Fort Battle' still sends a shiver down the spine. One of the great cues.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

How did you get a hold of that? I couldn't find it anywhere online.

They seem to have plenty on sale at Amazon and at cheap prices too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011 edited
    NP: SLEEPERS (John Williams)

Underrated film, underrated score. There's a brief cameo of the religious sound (in "Saying the Rosary", I believe) and the melancholic darkness he does so well. Some cool bass riffs and synth use too. Williams hasn't done a lot of contemporary urban films.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    La Fille du Puisatier - Alexandre Desplat

Definitely, his La fille du puisatier on the other hand (compared to 'a better life' which is good but not good enough) is a small masterpiece. Best score i've heard this year so far.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. This gives an insight at how I sometimes end up going off on a tangent from one piece of music to another...

Martijn posted a link on Facebook to the title sequence from Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. Martijn, you pointed out (very accurately too) about how good Handel's Sarabande is used in this sequence. So, I took a listen to this piece (and I had already heard the track from The Chieftains that featured on the "Film Cuts" CD). So far, so good.

When I was listening through the various pieces of music Kubrick used I noticed a couple of titles - "Women of Ireland" and "Tin Whistles" - being referenced to someone called Sean O'Riada. Digging a bit deeper, O'Riada (whose name is actually Seán Ó Riada) had scored a couple of documentaries in the late '50s/early 60s: Mise Éire, that tells of events in Ireland leading up to, during, and immediately after the 1916 Easter Rising and Saoirse?, a documentary covering the period 1919-1922 in Ireland's history, covering the war of independence against the British and the civil war that followed. Both films feature archive footage from that period.

Amazon at the moment are having an offer for mp3 that if you by a couple of of albums over a certain price you get them both for a tenner. So...

NP: Saoirse? - Seán Ó Riada

Quite a mixed bag in terms of style of music used. It's not anything like the stock "Oirish" music but more stark drama, militaristic snare drum marches, some lovely lush string writing (here we do have something that hints at that Oirish music), harpichord and harmonica!

Thanks, Martijn! smile
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn